pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 27

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#6502007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 1:32pm

While I have not seen Legally Blonde (but want to desperately!), I believe it's going to be tough for a show to conquer Spring Awakening this season. Is it the best piece of musical theatre ever written? Of course not. That honor belongs to Wicked, of course (sarcasm =)). But is it the most challenging, thought provoking, beautiful piece written for THIS season? I believe so. Granted, I've only read reviews of Legally Blonde, lots of them. But from what I've read, I've just gathered that Blonde is a fun, good time at the theatre type of show. Granted, Spring and Blonde are like apples and oranges. So, who knows?

Since I do believe Spring Awakening will win Best Musical, I will say this. The Best Musical winner usually always has contenders in the Leading Actor/Actress category to support the win and/or nomination. Thus, why I nominated Lea Michele. She doesn't have the best performance of the season, but I think she does enough to garner a nomination for the right reasons.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#6512007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 1:53pm

I think she does enough to garner a nomination for the right reasons.

Not compared to her competition.

Plus, it doesn't matter how thought-provoking a show is. The show that *usually* wins Best Musical is the show that is the most tourable. Most of the times it also turns out to be the Best Musical of season...sometimes it does not. When comparing LEGALLY BLONDE to SPRING AWAKENING, BLONDE wins as most tourable. It's no contest.

And a great number of TONY voters are touring producers. That's who'll they'll vote for.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#6522007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:01pm

After seeing LOVEMUSIK last week, I will be *very* surprised if LEGALLY BLONDE garners a nomination for Best Musical. There is little chance that the Nominating Committee is going to give that 4th slot to LEGALLY BLONDE over the gorgeous, starry and artistic LOVEMUSIK. Remember, the Nominating Committee members are not road voters. They are 25 New York artists. They will give the benefit to LOVEMUSIK and in turn keep LEGALLY BLONDE out of the running.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6532007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:04pm

I totally agree, Foster.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#6542007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:08pm

I think there should be some variety in the nominations. And, depending on BLONDE's reviews, there's a good chance it could take CURTAINS's spot. All it would need is fairly positive reviews to trump CURTAINS's lukewarm responses.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

munkustrap178
#6552007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:12pm

It shouldn't represent variety, but the 4 best musicals of the year.

I don't think CURTAINS is a lock at all.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6562007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:15pm

I highly doubt CURTAINS won't be nominated for Best Musical and wouldn't be surprised if it won. It definitely has more commercial appeal than SPRING AWAKENING, GREY GARDENS, or LOVEMUSIK. It also doesn't hurt that it actually is a great musical which may not be the case with LEGALLY BLONDE. I'm not too sure LOVEMUSIK will be able to garner a nomination in the Best Musical category though I do hope it does.
Ideally the nominees would be: CURTAINS, GREY GARDENS, LOVEMUSIK, SPRING AWAKENING.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#6572007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:19pm

I've heard very mixed responses for LOVEMUSIK.

It seems to need a great deal of work right now.

munkustrap178
#6582007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:22pm

I haven't seen LOVEMUSIK...I plan to do so this weekend. Some are raving, some are saying it's a trainwreck. Sounds fascinating.

broadwayfan3
#6592007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 6:20pm

Kristin Chenoweth, I hope wins.....probably wont
Christine Ebersole, will be nominated
Charlotte D'Amboise, I feel like she is a supporting role..just me
Laura Bell Bundy, don't know
Ashley Brown, probably win...I don't want her to, but it's one of those roles
Lea Michele, If Kristin doesn't win, she's my #2
Debra Monk, will be nominated
Audra McDonald, if she wins it will be because of her name

My 5 would be Kristin Chenoweth, Christine Ebersole, Lea Michele, Audra McDonald, and Ashley Brown

I hope wins; Kristin Chenoweth
Should win; Lea Michele
Will win; Ashley Brown

My personal feelings.....I only think that Ashley Brown will win because she's in Mary Poppins, not because she is the best.

"Bitch I don't know your life"-Andre Ward, Xanadu

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6602007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 6:23pm

Haha, that's funny broadwayfan. That gave me a good chuckle. 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#6612007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 6:24pm

I'm not trying to be mean, but: Was that a joke?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

broadwayfan3
#6622007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 6:48pm

Mine????? If so, NO.
Those are my feelings, they may come across funny...but i'm being serious

"Bitch I don't know your life"-Andre Ward, Xanadu

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6632007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 7:05pm

Broadwayfan, neither Lea Michele nor Ashley Brown will even be NOMINATED, let alone win.

jbdc
#6642007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 7:21pm

Chenoweth
Ebersole
McDonald
Michele
Murphy

wonderfulwizard11
#6652007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 7:23pm

Broadwayfan, hate to burst your bubble, but Christine Ebersole is pretty much a lock. The only competition she has at this point is Audra McDonald.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6662007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 7:23pm

JBDC, replace Michele with Bundy and I think you have it.

jbdc
#6672007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 7:28pm

Yeah, I think Bundy v. Michele will be the case if Legally Blonde gets the reviews. If it gets mixed, I think Lea Michele will slide in on the fact that Spring awakening got the best reviews of the season. Or--with so many divas--monk and chenoweth could cancel each other out (but monk is really in a featured role), nd both BUNDY and MICHELE could slip in. (I don't know why my capital versus lower case letters are inconsistent in this posting. sorry if it bothers anybody.)

wonderfulwizard11
#6682007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 7:32pm

I doubt Monk and Chenoweth will cancel each other out. Chenoweth got raves. I think Monk will be nominated, but Bundy could possibly slip in.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#6692007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 8:02pm

How on earth could Monk and Chenoweth cancel each other out? Oh yeah, because they're both blonde? But then what about Laura Bell Bundy?

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Videos