Why is Cabaret closing?

msrebeccaanne
#50Why is Cabaret closing?
Posted: 2/22/15 at 8:30pm

I was told the same thing as LightsOut when I saw the show a month ago. Roundabout would love to keep the show open since the run is doing so well but Mendes and Marshall want to close it.

rob136
#51Why is Cabaret closing?
Posted: 2/22/15 at 8:57pm

I don't want someone to "invigorate" Roundabout. They offer $20 Mezz seats to 18-35 year olds, $20 Orchestra seats to 18-35 year olds with a $75 yearly donation (both 2 per production at all theaters), $10 previews to all shows, etc.

They're making theatre more accessible to a lot of people, and that's a HUGE thing they're doing right.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#52Why is Cabaret closing?
Posted: 2/23/15 at 1:25am

I dont understand why they would want the show to close when people are still enjoying it

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

AEA AGMA SM
#53Why is Cabaret closing?
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:47pm

"I don't want someone to "invigorate" Roundabout. They offer $20 Mezz seats to 18-35 year olds, $20 Orchestra seats to 18-35 year olds with a $75 yearly donation (both 2 per production at all theaters), $10 previews to all shows, etc.

They're making theatre more accessible to a lot of people, and that's a HUGE thing they're doing right."

You can invigorate something without changing it completely. Keep what works (the access to affordable ticket prices that you have mentioned) and fix what doesn't. The waste and mismanagement that another poster mentioned is not exactly a secret around the industry and could potentially be solved with a more focused, more efficient leadership.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#54Why is Cabaret closing?
Posted: 2/23/15 at 1:12pm

I dont understand why they would want the show to close when people are still enjoying it

Because (if you believe that this is the reason) they both find the task of having to repeatedly rehearse new leads every few weeks/months to be not be worth their time and they don't want to trust that work to others.

AndersonTours
#55Why is Cabaret closing?
Posted: 2/24/15 at 11:35pm

Like they did for 6 years with Cabaret? The whole argument is lame.
It just seems odd. I wish them well.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#56Why is Cabaret closing?
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:48am

Hey, if they'd rather cash royalty checks from Tams-Witmark than interrupt their busy, more lucrative schedule to rehearse yet another lead for a production they first staged almost twenty years ago, more power to them. I think Marshall and Mendes would care more, and maybe not be so eager to close it, if they'd been allowed to re-think a few things that they'd change with the benefit of experience; it seems all Roundabout cared about was bringing back the successful production everyone remembered and profiting.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Videos