CATSNYrevival
#50THE SECRET GARDEN to return to Broadway
Posted: 1/7/17 at 5:41pm

Is the India prologue the same?

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#51THE SECRET GARDEN to return to Broadway
Posted: 1/7/17 at 6:21pm

CATSNYrevival said: "Is the India prologue the same?

"

I believe so. I've only ever seen the D.C. Production and then a really bad version of the original version that I try to block from memory.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#52THE SECRET GARDEN to return to Broadway
Posted: 1/7/17 at 6:24pm

I don't remember that part being different at all.

When I saw it in mid-December, "If I Had a Fine White Horse" was definitely in the show, but not in my playbill either. I'm pretty sure it's where it always traditionally was.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 1/7/17 at 06:24 PM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#53THE SECRET GARDEN to return to Broadway
Posted: 1/7/17 at 11:32pm

When we did the show as a summer production back in 2006, our version was based on the national tour script and the opening was done with Mary having the nightmare as the Lennoxs and their friends play a game of drop the handkerchief with the handkerchiefs being red representing the cholera. I'm not sure how the original production did it, but the DC production's opening was very well done (The dinner party leading into all of them dying of Cholera). 

I really loved the production and I'm sure with a little bit more money the scenic design will be a little more flushed out (Having the ensemble inside the moving parts of the garden got a little distracting/hard to hear their solos in The Storm). I will say - the reveal of the garden at the end was beautiful and I definitely got (more than) a little teary. The changes worked for me, but I did miss Race You To The Top of the Morning. The cast was pretty amazing top to bottom - Lizzie Klemperer's voice was gorgeous and was just an absolutely perfect Lily, Michael Xavier was a terrific Archibald, and Josh Young was a pretty perfect Neville. The entire ensemble was pitch perfect - special notices to Charlie Franklin (as Dickon), Jason Forbach (as Mary's father, Albert), and Daisy Eagan who it was real treat to get to see her in this show knowing her past with it. 

I really want this revival to happen, because I just love the score so much.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 1/7/17 at 11:32 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#54THE SECRET GARDEN to return to Broadway
Posted: 1/8/17 at 5:50pm

I just came back and loved both the show and the production! The girl who was Mary was excellent and it was so cool to see Daisy Eagan come back to the show (loved the applause when she entered), who was great as Martha. 

I thought the book was good. I must be one of the few who wasn't confused throughout. The music, while not memorable, is very beautiful to listen to. The woman who was Lily had a beautiful voice.

For this production, I did love the set design. The house looked cool with the walls/stairs and the garden was very simple. I loved how the spirits were in the bushes. The costumes also looked beautiful.

It's amazing that I read the book a long time ago and remembered some things like India, the boy, and the teenager who helped Mary grow the garden.

As the production is working on Broadway, I give it the best of luck!

Videos