THE PRICE StageDoor

JustAnotherNewYorker
#50THE PRICE StageDoor
Posted: 5/16/17 at 6:10pm

quizking101 said: "For the final performance, only Shalhoub and Hecht came out, and both were in a hurry. The play was excellent though.

DeVito has that Tony locked down
"

As a clarification (I was also at that performance) Hecht was in a hurry and signed. Shalhoub went straight to his car (although maybe 1 or 2 people near the door got an autograph?)

Lox450
#51THE PRICE StageDoor
Posted: 5/16/17 at 6:44pm

**duplicate message**

Updated On: 5/16/17 at 06:44 PM

Lox450
#52THE PRICE StageDoor
Posted: 5/16/17 at 7:00pm

BroadwayBoy214 said: "What exactly happened?  I don't think they ever signed at the front.

Chris

"

My friend and I were standing in front of the theater (we literally just got dropped by a cab from the airport) and we noticed a gentleman at the door holding some Ruffalo pictures.  We started chatting with him and before we knew it Mark was walking towards us with an umbrella (it was raining decently).  The gentleman standing next to us started yelling things like "Mark you gotta sign for me, I drove from Boston and missed you during Spotlight!!"  Mark said he wasn't able to because he was late.  The gentleman persisted in a hostile manor.  Finally, an annoyed Mark said, "Alright fine, I'll do one.  That's it".   He proceeded to then draw about a 1 inch line on the guy's photo and said... "There!!"  I'm not at all shy in my day to day life, but my jaw was ready to hit the floor.  Mark looked directly at me almost as if to say, "Do you want something or what?"  Feeling sorry for him I said, "Mark it's cool...go inside, I'll catch you after I watch the show."  He still seemed annoyed and said, "Yeah."  I really just wanted a selfie with him, but I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a scowl.  I felt like I was doing the right thing, but I'm kicking myself because we literally didn't see him the rest of the weekend other than when he was on stage.

AprilWheeler
#53THE PRICE StageDoor
Posted: 5/16/17 at 8:36pm

Wooooooow. That story is ridiculous and exactly what gives stage dooring (even though I know it didn't happen at the official door) a bad name. I love doing it and would have loved to have met Mark but if he was getting this kind of nonsense regularly I can understand avoiding it. You did the right thing. The story wouldn't have been as cool for you if Mark took the selfie while clearly not wanting to do so. I tell people all the time that the stage door is fun and I've had some amazing experiences but you cannot go into it expecting a thing. The only thing you are owed is a performance. I also abide by the rule that you don't bother a performer prior to the show. It's work for them and they have to get in that headspace. So needless to say, I would have let MR go too.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#54THE PRICE StageDoor
Posted: 5/17/17 at 12:28am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "quizking101 said: "For the final performance, only Shalhoub and Hecht came out, and both were in a hurry. The play was excellent though.

DeVito has that Tony locked down
"

As a clarification (I was also at that performance) Hecht was in a hurry and signed. Shalhoub went straight to his car (although maybe 1 or 2 people near the door got an autograph?)

"

Shalhoub signed for 4 of us at the very front and then went to his car.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Videos