Carmen Jones Thread

JBC3
#50Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/30/18 at 11:12am

One ticket for Tuesday, 7/3/18 | 7:00 PM
Seat B401

Paid $56 with fees. Asking $30.
PayPal.

Ticket is Will Call, so I will send you my original receipt and contact Box Office when it opens on Tuesday to change the ticket to your name.

RW3
#51Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 7/21/18 at 11:17pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I spoke to Anika, and she told me she’s going to do everything she can to ensure a cast recording is made” 

God I hope so. Saw it today and I want to play her Dat’s Love over and over again. 

AntV
#52Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 8/1/18 at 10:26am

Delete

Updated On: 8/1/18 at 10:26 AM

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#53Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 8/4/18 at 6:56pm

Thought I was going to have to sell my ticket to this last night but am thanking my lucky stars that I didn’t have to after all. The ten person cast is flawless, and Rose is incandescent as Carmen Jones. Such extraordinary voices all around and so blissfully intimate. I’ve had problems with almost all of Doyle’s musical stagings since Sweeney, but his minimalism and paring down didn’t distract here. Do I still wish it could have had a larger cast, larger orchestra, better design, and better direction? Yes. But while those sound like huge detriments to a production, the ten performer and six musicians are so brilliant that you can’t help but fall in love. Fingers tightly crossed for a transfer. Even more tightly crossed for a cast recording. What a thrill this was.

AntV
#54Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 8/8/18 at 11:48pm

Tried to rush this and they only had like 3-4 tickets and a large group of 20+ people were already there at 5:30. Sucks that they ended the todaytix rush, sucks even harder that todaytix didn't even indicate when the rush would be ending. Sucks the hardest that rushes and lotteries now take place on todaytix. CSC's old "access" program was much better, as were all the old programs theater companies used before greedy todaytix came along.

gimlet2
#55Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:41am

^
I also missed the cut but so did Rebecca Naomi Jones! I guess there isn't a secret actor handshake for admission after all...
I think the TodayTix rush ended with the regular run. For the extension they announced on twitter that general rush was $30 cash or credit, limit 2 per person (different from the website).

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#56Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 8/9/18 at 11:45am

Wow, the rush must be picking up as the run draws to an end. I got in on rush on Thursday, Aug. 2, arriving at the theater a bit before 6 p.m. I was number 4 on line. We all got in and a couple of people more. 

gimlet2
#57Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 8/14/18 at 5:35pm

For anyone considering rush: I did it this past weekend and you probably need to be there at least 2.5-3 hrs before showtime to have a decent chance to get in. For the Sat matinee, I think they let in 8-9 people, though the rain may have helped with more cancellations than usual. The box office doesn't take names until 1 hr out and is hands-off with line management so you may need to be proactive - invariably there will be someone who insists they should be in spot x despite not checking to see who was already waiting. It doesn't help that the lobby is a pretty busy coffee shop so people are constantly coming and going.

There were still a few empty seats in the theatre but they may have run out of time - I assume that once the performers take their places behind the bleachers, there's a countdown to when the doors must close.

The show was fantastic; one of the stage managers said they were hoping to transfer it elsewhere, but that may be something all shows say (like promising a post-Broadway tour).

VintageSnarker
#58Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 8/19/18 at 3:40pm

Well, I did get to see it. And I'm thrilled about that. The whole cast is great but Anika was just... magical. Flawless voice, completely captivating presence. I think I just had too much distance from the show. It felt more like an experiment in adapting Bizet's Carmen than a show that stood on its own. It was entertaining and a lot of parts were stronger than the opera or the original novella. But I don't know if the material would compelling or wholly successful without the comparison. I wish there had been a greater departure, and maybe a blend of some original music. You know, take the parts that work for the new show and leave the parts that don't. The staging was... meh. But it was beautifully sung and I think the actors did the most they could with it.

I'm very curious about what was taken out to edit to 95 minutes and if that would have helped or hurt my opinion of the show. The misogyny was very minimal (compared to the other versions) but I didn't understand why Carmen and Joe felt so strongly based on the amount of time they spent together (in the novella, and maybe in the opera, I can't remember, they spend more time together between his desertion and her finding a new guy... whereas here the necessity of the trip to Chicago seems to shrink the timeline). The Cindy Lou character was a little... too good, but that relationship worked a lot better than the character in the opera who seems like an odd afterthought. And the actress did her best to sell it without any irony.

Videos