pixeltracker

Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway - Page 3

Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#50Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/22/24 at 9:53pm

inception said: It only played off-Broadway. Also had a long run in Las Vegas. It usually does well for regional theatres that put it on since the movies have a built-in fan base."

I still would like to see a professional production sometime soon. Having been born after the off-Broadway run and being too young to see the tours (or before i even got into theatre) I kind of want a chance to see the cool stuff I wasn't around to see. Shows like American Idiot, Evil Dead, and a few others I now wanna see, and maybe a few others who would too. In this day with the newer generations getting into theatre we need shows like these and previously mentioned in this thread to be revived. I don't wanna be stuck in a world where people in my age are only talking about the same five musicals. Sure, I don't know as much as everyone on these threads but I sure as hell want my taste to expand and explore new and old shows and think about them like what most people my age won't do for another 20 years because they're to scared to leave their comfort zone. Sorry for this long tangent, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

AEA AGMA SM
#51Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/23/24 at 12:34am

Dreamboy3 said: "I didn’t see CZJ in ALNM but in her performance on the Tony Awards she seemed unhinged. Was it different in the show? (I finally saw that production with Bernadette who sings Sondheim like almost no one else and whose Send in the Clowns brought tears to my eyes in what was otherwise a dull and drab production.)"

Yes, that performance was not indicative at all of what she was doing in the show. Something or someone got into her head before the ceremony that night and she ended up having no idea how to translate her performance for a space that was multitudes bigger than what she was used to, but also having the close up cameras right in her face at the same time. 

I won’t go so far as to say it was a definitive performance that would never be matched, but it was in no way the disaster that people who only saw her Tony Awards performance would believe. 

Ensemble1716440075
#52Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/23/24 at 5:56am

The Pirate Queen

inception Profile Photo
inception
#53Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/23/24 at 7:14am

tacotheatrelover said: "I kind of want a chance to see the cool stuff Iwasn't around to see. 

I'm quoting the sentence you wrote that distills the sentiment many people have no matter their age.

I wasn't around for the Jerry Herman shows I listed way back near the beginning of this thread.  Over the years I collected the cast albums.  Those shows were long before the time when people were filming from their seats so there are no YouTube bootlegs.  

People complain about the movie version of Mame (many also about the Hello Dolly movie) but if I hadn't turned on the TV 40 years ago & seen it as a child I probably wouldn't be as hooked on Herman.  So whatever its quality, at least it existed.

So enjoy the cast albums or whatever other recorded versions are available of the shows that pique your interest.  At least the shows you mention are.still recent enough that people might consider doing them.

I did see a production of American Idiot maybe 6 (?) years ago.  I thought it wasn't good.  But to each their own.

Much longer before that I saw Evil Dead with my little brother who is a fan of the movies.  It is dumb fun.

Maybe look up Bat Boy.  That's another odd show.

hearthemsing22
#54Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/23/24 at 8:44am

I wonder if Beetlejuice would ever be a possibility 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#55Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/23/24 at 9:16am

I think there's a lot of theatre fans who would like to see shows from before our theatergoing time, but a solid regional revival or concert version may have to suffice for many of them.

Broadway is not the only option!

It's also a matter of accepting that theater is ephemeral. I'll never see the original productions of Follies or Grand Hotel or The Glass Menagerie. Trying to recreate them nowadays would be foolish in any setting other than an academic one.

Updated On: 5/23/24 at 09:16 AM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#56Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/23/24 at 1:15pm

Wonderland.

There's not even a cult following for that one.

Zeppie2022
#57Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/23/24 at 1:52pm

It is easy to list a show that was considered a "flop" because why revive a show that was not successful the first time. I will list two Tony Award Winner for Best Musical that I doubt would be revived again. The two shows are "Titanic" and "Memphis".

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#58Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/24/24 at 11:59am

Zeppie2022 said: "It is easy to list a show that was considered a "flop" because why revive a show that was not successful the first time. I will list two Tony Award Winner for Best Musical that I doubt would be revived again. The two shows are "Titanic" and "Memphis"."

Titanic has had at least 2 attempts at a Broadway revival (one the British chamber production led by Barry & Fran, and then the Signature Theatre revival led by "Great Gatsby"'s Chunsoo Shin) I expect one of these days a Bway revival will happen. People have a strange fixation about the Titanic.

It's hard for me to envision revivals of a lot of recent Best Musical winners/nominees because they are so recent and sometimes depends on a director's vision, or a star, or the show feeling relevant to the moment. If you said in 2008 that within the next 15 years SPRING AWAKENING, SPAMALOT, SUNSET BLVD, and RAGTIME would all have Broadway revivals but some of the big juggernauts like RENT, HAIRSPRAY, and THE PRODUCERS would not, I think people might be surprised.

RENT and HAIRSPRAY only feel like a matter of time. THE PRODUCERS is a show that I can see getting revived, but stemming from a regional or London revival that reinvisions it, or a dynamic leading pair that makes people forget Lane and Broderick.

Updated On: 5/24/24 at 11:59 AM

mshalo18
#59Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
Posted: 5/24/24 at 1:04pm

Shogun: The Musical. #iykyk

Latest Posts

Videos