Re: Disney on Broadway

WickedDude
#50re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 6:43pm

Well I think they might use a muscle suit for King Triton. My second choice for Ariel is Amy Bodner. My second choice for Ursula might be Harvey Firestein.

broadwayguy2
#51re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 6:45pm

Harvey is quite capable of things that arent't in drag.

Brent Barrett as Triton

#52re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 6:46pm

Just a little correction: Pat Carroll was the original voice of Ursula - Pat Hingle is a male character actor who has been in about every other movie made for the last 40-odd years (ie: Commissioner Gordon in the Batman films.)

WickedDude
#53re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 6:48pm

How about Amy Bodnar as Ariel? Has seen her sing in the revial of Oklahoma as Laurey.

broadwayguy2
#54re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 6:50pm

An excerpt from Ken' INSIDER column at Broadway.com......

Q: Given the Broadway success of all three Disney musicals, I think it's strange that the show based on Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame has never played this country, even though it played for several years in Germany. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.---Robert R.

A: The stage version of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame had a run of several years in Berlin, under the title Der Glöckner von Notre Dame. It was a vast improvement over the film, which was rather too cutesy a treatment of a serious property. And the film's score was likewise greatly enhanced for the stage. In fact, the Glöckner CD is one of the most enjoyable theatre recordings of recent years, the Alan Menken-Stephen Schwartz score very impressive. (Dance of the Vampires' Michael Kunze did the German translation of Schwartz's lyrics and James Lapine's book.)

With set design by Heidi Ettinger and projections by Jerome Sirlin, Der Glöckner was an elaborate production, but one that could be scaled down. I prefer Der Glöckner to all three (four, if you count King David) of Disney's Broadway productions. There has been talk of a live-action television version of the Menken-Schwartz-Lapine show, with Avenue Q director Jason Moore most recently attached to the project. In any case, I think the stage version of Hunchback worthy of a U.S. tour that might include a Broadway stand, but I have to assume that the folks at Disney don't agree.

Of course, there was also Notre Dame de Paris, the hit French pop-opera version of the same Victor Hugo novel. That one had an extended run in London and also played Las Vegas, where it was not a success. But Glöckner's score is vastly superior.

WickedDude
#55re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 7:18pm

But how about Amy Bodnar as Ariel. Did any of you see her as Laruey? And what would you think of Randy Harrison of Wicked and Queer as Folk as Terk in Tarzan? Updated On: 7/3/04 at 07:18 PM

WickedDude
#56re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 8:07pm

Oh and one more thing don't give me the silent treatment! Because I hate silence! Anybody home? Hello! Is this suddenly yesterday's News? Updated On: 7/3/04 at 08:07 PM

WickedDude
#57re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 8:56pm

Hello!?

WickedDude
#58re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 9:10pm

I'm Waiting for an answer!

broadwayguy2
#59re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 9:33pm

we have NO answer for now

#60re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 9:40pm

Anyone know if Tarzan is going to open here before they bring over Poppins?

SM

broadwayguy2
#61re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 9:42pm

apparently, Tarzan is the next slated show

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#62re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 9:42pm

I think Mary Poppins is supposed to be first; last I heard, they were shooting for Fall of '06 with Tarzan. If I'm ever able to speak normal words to Adam Pascal, I'll ask him if he knows.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

broadwayguy2
#63re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 9:45pm

Poppins is next "in general" -- it is opening in the UK. tarzan is the next slated show here in the US

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#64re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 9:53pm

"It's too bad they're only using real teens for the West Side Story revival"

What?!?!?! Why am I not auditioning for this!?

shesings
#65re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 10:29pm

Laura Bell Bundy told me she was going to be Jane in Tarzan alongside Matt Morrison. No clue if this is accurate, but those were the words straight from her mouth.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#66re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 10:31pm

Thanks for the clarification, bg2!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#67re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/3/04 at 10:35pm

Laura Bell Bundy doesn't seem... refined enough.

(That's not a dig towards her, because I like her a lot.)

WickedDude
#68re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/4/04 at 12:08am

Laura Bell Bundy played Jane in the workshop of Tarzan. What would you think of Amy Bodner of the Oklahoma revial as Ariel from the Little Mermaid?

broadwayguy2
#69re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/4/04 at 8:00am

WickedDude, STOP asking about Amy Bodar. No one has answered for a REASON.

Yes, LauraBell did the workshop, but I can't visualize her in teh full staging.

No problem emcee!

NativeNewYorker
#70re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/4/04 at 10:21am

I've always been a fan of Disney's Hercules...

You know who would make a really good Hercules?

Cheyenne Jackson!

broadwayguy2
#71re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/4/04 at 10:25am

re: Re: Disney on Broadway

That he would. Updated On: 7/4/04 at 10:25 AM

WickedDude
#72re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/4/04 at 12:03pm

What would you think of Randy Harisson as Terk from Tarzan?

broadwayguy2
#73re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/4/04 at 12:10pm

Terk was voiced by Rosie O'Donnell in the film. Unless they drastically reinvision the role, Rands isn't butch enough.

WickedDude
#74re: Re: Disney on Broadway
Posted: 7/4/04 at 12:13pm

Well how about Marissa Jaret Wonkour(the oringinal Tracy) as Terk

Videos