News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TheQuibbler

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
Member Name: TheQuibbler
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
 Jun 5 2024, 05:31:41 PM

Phantom4ever said: "Yes I am as shocked as you guys are that they want to come to New York despite all of this negative news coverage they consume.

Perhaps I mis-spoke. They're not going to lose their minds at the sight of a homeless person but they will if they have to see a homeless guy pleasuring himself or a homeless guy spitting in their 9 year old daughter's face. Stuff like that is what they don't want to see and WHAT I WAS TRYING TO ASK before people to

FORBIDDEN BROADWAY Coming to Broadway This Summer?
 May 30 2024, 10:55:51 AM

Looks like it’s found an Off-Broadway home:

From Playbill

“The Broadway engagement of Gerard Alessandrini’s Forbidden Broadway may have been postponed, but the latest edition of the musical parody, Forbidden Broadway: Merrily We Stole A Song, has found a home Off-Broadway.

Previews will begin August 23 at Theater 555 prior to an official opening September 12.”

What is the worst production you have ever seen on Broadway? What is the worst show?
 May 27 2024, 08:30:18 PM

For me, it was probably Roundabout's The Cherry Orchard from some years back (with Diane Lane, innocent). Just a full nothing of a production: no direction, no coherence, several very good actors completely adrift. I'd rather something be bad in an ambitious or interesting way than a complete and utter bore. Truly the most unexciting night of theatre I think I've had on Broadway. 

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.
 May 25 2024, 10:39:38 AM

CurtainsUpat8 said: "Who cares if you are offended? I agree. This casting is ridiculous. I am a Gay man, and I don't need to see drag queens outside of a bar show. Love their shows in bars."

Guess Hairspray is out for you. And La Cage aux Folles, and Kinky Boots, and Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and Rocky Horror, and...

Back to the Future Lottery 5/18/24 8pm
 May 17 2024, 12:48:53 PM

For future reference, I did this once with Some Like It Hot and, before I purchased, I called Telecharge and they were able to sell me just one. 

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 May 15 2024, 01:47:48 PM

I think it looks great. Ive sort of accepted now that this is just what Hollywood movies look like; I appreciate that it’s not too garish like Godzilla x Kong or something. Honestly, I think the allusions to Harry Potter are probably intentional. 

I’m excited to see what the expanded running time can do as I’ve always felt the book of Wicked to be its weakest element, especially Act II; I’m sure I’m not alone there

Dame Judi : Trigger Warnings
 May 15 2024, 01:23:53 PM

It’s not like these warnings are actually giving away “spoilers.” No warning says, “caution: Cornwall gouges out Gloucester’s eyes in Act III.” It would warn about violent content, as MPAA ratings have been doing for decades as another poster mentioned. 

They let people know what kind of content there is so they can make an informed decision. My wife lost a family member to suicide and she always appreciates a warning, whether to make a dec

Scott Rudin returns:
 May 14 2024, 07:15:27 PM

FLarnhill said: "So many self-righteous people here who can't learn to separate the art from the artists and love to make others pay for their mistakes for their entire lives.

I hope you're all happy.
"

Scott Rudin has an estimated net worth of $250 million. He'll be fine if he never works again. 

Problems at Little Shop?
 May 12 2024, 03:08:18 PM

Kad said: "Very gracious of Jinkx to stay and basically give the whole audience a meet and greet."

Yeah, she just offered it up. It was funny because at first she sat onstage by one of the counters and said “just come on up!” and, immediately, the stage managers swooped in and were like, “we can’t do that!” So, she just sat on the lip of the stage and everyone filed down to her. One of the house managers took the pictures. It was ve

Problems at Little Shop?
 May 12 2024, 12:32:56 AM

Oh, I guess the thread got posted twice. Here’s what I wrote in the other one:

I was there tonight— apparently, there were too many cast illnesses and not enough coverage. At first, they gave us the option of getting a refund or staying and watching the “concert version” of the show. We stayed, and before they let us in the house, they informed us that everyone would be getting refunds. At about 8:30, they came out, did “Grow For Me,” &

Problems at Little Shop?
 May 12 2024, 12:30:24 AM

I was there tonight— apparently, there were too many cast illnesses and not enough coverage. At first, they gave us the option of getting a refund or staying and watching the “concert version” of the show. We stayed, and before they let us in the house, they informed us that everyone would be getting refunds. At about 8:30, they came out, did “Grow For Me,” “Somewhere That’s Green,” “Dentist,” “Mushnik & Son,” &l

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 May 10 2024, 09:59:01 AM

Would anyone who’s seen the show multiple times be willing to note the context around each song? I saw the show and enjoyed it but can’t necessarily remember which song was performed at what dramatic moment other than, like, “Bright.” Thanks!

SCHMIGADOON! to play Kennedy Center
 May 9 2024, 11:54:07 AM

I know Dove Cameron is in the main photo because of her Schmigadoon connection, but I wouldn't mind seeing her as Elle Woods! 

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 May 5 2024, 12:12:31 PM

Thanks Jordan, Ke3, Brody, BJR for articulating what I was trying to get at with my initial post. And, also, yes, Xanadu found this balance perfectly, so let’s hope DBH lands more in that direction. 

May 2 2024, 03:56:26 PM

Kad said: "I can think of many words to describe the movie, and “campy, big, and broad” are three of them. It opens with a Broadway musicaladaptation of Sweet Bird of Youth that features a disco dance break. Goldie Hawn wears a fat suit and eats frosting from a can while losing her mind. Streep’s tongue-waggling delivery of the word “flaccid.” Any of the iconic lines. It is an extremelyover the topmovie. The only understated performance is Isabe

ILLINOISE Reviews
 May 2 2024, 11:34:27 AM

Thanks to those who responded to my initial question. I saw the show last night and had a wonderful time. Really beautiful show. 

I will say, I sat in Row N of the mezzanine and the first 20 minutes of the show were frustrating because of how far down stage it seemed to be staged. And then of course every person in front of me wanted to lean forward and throw their head back and forth to see, which made it more frustrating. This continued throughout the show but was

May 2 2024, 11:30:05 AM

Reports of this being campy, big, broad and pandering make me nervous. The movie is a comedy, sure, the performances are big (especially Bruce Willis, in what I think is one of his best) but everything is grounded and taken very seriously. It's satire, not out and out parody. I think that's why it works. Intentional camp is probably one of the hardest things to pull off and one of the hardest things to sit through when it's not pulled off. I don't want

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Apr 29 2024, 08:03:36 PM

TheatreFan4 said: "TheQuibbler said: "I wonder if they’d consider (or be allowed to, from a union standpoint) doing away with the pre-show at a certain point to cut costs."

That would kind of ruin the novelty of it, wouldn't it?
"

Maybe. It seems like a lot people think the pre-show doesn’t really do too much for the experience. The show and its potential for casting is, for me at least, the main draw. 

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Apr 29 2024, 07:19:49 PM

I wonder if they’d consider (or be allowed to, from a union standpoint) doing away with the pre-show at a certain point to cut costs. 

ILLINOISE Reviews
 Apr 29 2024, 09:53:22 AM

Do folks recommend familiarizing yourself with the material before attending? I don’t really know the album and my experience with dance is rather limited so I’m worried I might be lost. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You