pixeltracker

Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve- Page 3

Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#50re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:36pm

Jon, everyone knows she belongs to Rathnait...

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#51re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:49pm

Rauly: The most supreme form of perfection; for use when a big enough adjective cannot be conjured.

And by all accounts, Raúl Esparza is indeed most Rauly!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#52re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:52pm

*applauds*

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MyNameInLights
#53re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:53pm

::takes a bow::

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

LittleFish8386
#54re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:54pm

Well, then what would Jen be?

She can't be Rauly, can she?

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#55re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:55pm

Synonyms for Rauly: Hearny; Sondheimesque; Bernadettish

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

MyNameInLights
#56re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:55pm

Of course she can! Is she utterly perfect in every way?

MyNameInLights
#57re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/23/04 at 11:57pm

Priest, can I be in love with you?

LittleFish8386
#58re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/24/04 at 12:06am

Priest is Rauly....

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#59re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/24/04 at 12:11am

::blushes::
Aw, shucks.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

ShineOn
#60re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/24/04 at 2:01am

Have y'all ever thought that perhaps these performers imperfections are what makes them appealing to you? Let's face it, no one wants to see a flawless performer... interest lies in flaws... flaws give character.

For instance... I was going to list Emily's technical flaws. Her technique certainly isn't top notch, but then I realized THAT'S why I love her. It makes her unique.

No one else indicates better.

Who else's voice can warble like Carolee Carmello's and still maintain such a richness and power that makes everyone's jaw drop? If anyone else used her incorrect approach their voices would be shot for a week. She's still going strong and blows the roof off every time she opens her mouth. But I'm sure she makes a lot of voice professors cringe in pain for her when they watch her sing. That's certainly an improvment SHE could use, but who actually wants that?

As long as the performer commits 100% to whatever he or she is doing and they're in the moment and you BUY it, I don't think the rest MATTERS. You may think Chenoweth needs to tone it down, but her cuteness may be what the next person finds appealing about her. It's her "thing" and it's what gives her star quality.

I say more power to the flawed performers. We don't want a bunch of cookie cutter actors running around our stages, do we?

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

#61re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/26/04 at 1:32am

I think Matt doesnt always know what to do with his hands when hes just supposed to be standing around on stage.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#62re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/26/04 at 1:39am

I'm a bit late on this, but...

Who said this was a bashing thread? Bashing is saying stuff like: "So and so sucks so bad she can't even sing, because I heard a 30 second clip of her and didn't like it, but I never saw her perform before...etc...". What's wrong with a little constructive criticism? It's not like these respondents hate the performers their talking about, but just pointing out some of their flaws - everyone has them, whether you like it or not.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Plum
#63re: Name a Way that Your Favorite Performer Can Improve
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:11am

Daisy, I see your point, but since I'm a contrarian I feel compelled to argue anyway. :)

No performer is "perfect"- what is perfect, anyway? But there's a difference between individual quirks and places where a person genuinely has a weak point. We call these performers our favorites because they're perfect to us, imperfections included. No way would we want them to iron themselves out into some uniform "ideal." But that doesn't mean we can't see where the flaws lie.

Updated On: 12/26/04 at 02:11 AM

Videos