Appropriate Attire?

#50re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:31pm

The people arguing FOR jeans are kindve hurting their own argument a bit comparing it to other unacceptable behavior. Saying hey, im not doing anything nearly as bad as talking on the phone- thats basically saying 'well you may think im being rude but atleast im not *that* rude.' if you dont think its rude at all, you shouldnt compare it to other rude behavior!

If you think you have a right to wear what you want cuz you spent a lot of money, ok.
If you think that since Broadway is a big tourist attraction and tourists spend the entire day walking around & dont want to lose the time going home to change, Ill agree with that.
If you want to argue that youre a student and you spent 20 bucks and your attire is cost appropriate, youre probably right, discounts are intended to bring in those who couldnt otherise attend.
If you want to argue that the 50 million dollar theater is being supported by the $100 you spent to be there and that youre sure theyd rather have your money while youre dressed down than not attending, then id agree.
If you want to argue that Rocky Horror didnt have the same dress code as Phantom, I guess thats true too.

I, personally like to dress nicely but I dont care what the person next to me is wearing as long as its not distracting me from watching the show and while the actors may like to see a well dressed, well mannered, appreciative audience in front of them, the producers who provide discounts, create shows of varying themes and even stunt cast are bringing in people who may or may not know nor care about what theater snobs want and consider appropriate attire.

mikewood
#51re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:39pm

I try to wear a suit when possible. Sometimes slacks and a polo shirt.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Di2
#52re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:41pm

freeadmission..thank you thank you.

I am telling you all how it is from the actors side. Many audience members forget that we are live people and that we can see you. I can see people as far back as, 10th row I guess, and believe me, when you are dressed badly, you make us feel bad.

Candy eating (which I have never, ever understood) cell phones going off even though we tell you to silence them and people don't, people taking pictures (I HATE THAT) during the show, talking talking talking, and my biggest pet peeve,
the "non clappers"...these are usually kids in their teens that have been dragged to the theatre by their parents and want nothing to do with us. I just danced my ass off for you and I am sweating profusely and you aren't even going to give me a golf clap?? Thanks alot.

Those are the days when I wonder why I even bother? And then to add insult to injury, I see people in ripped jeans and tshirts, shorts, pajama pants, you name it, I have seen it.

Use common sense...if its a ritzy jazzed up place like a broadway theatre, jazz yourself up to match your surroundings..its fairly simple.

Sorry, y'all...you got me on a down day and attire is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Di2
#53re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:45pm

one more thing..chita33 (lame name) you are a complete loser....

november
#54re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:47pm

Have a great time at the theater, you'll always remember your first show.

#55re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:52pm

This is lame.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/photo2.cfm?id=Di2

and incorrectly posted.

Updated On: 6/13/05 at 04:52 PM

cathyhyatt
#56re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 5:01pm

di2-"Theatres are high end establishments and deserve to be treated with respect. Who wants to see some shmuck walking around in a tshirt and jeans when everyone one else is dressed in a shirt and tie."

ive been to plenty of broadway shows and everyone is NOT dressed in a shirt and tie. It is not even close to half of EVERYONE that is dressed like that.

I do, however, believe there are boundaries -- you said you've seen people wear shorts or pajama pants and I find that totally unexceptable. But I would find that same attire unexceptable in any place that was considerably nice (fancy restaurant, etc). I think t-shirts and jeans are fine. BUT not a random shirt that has profane messages on it or anything...a plain one with maybe even writing on it(like that of a clothing label) would be fine in my opinion.

I think the number one way to show your "respect" to an actor is to be an attentive audience member and not disturb their performance. The way someone dresses is not effecting the actor or anyone else so there is no reason for arguement.

In another post you were talking about how it's insulting when people sit there and don't clap. I completely agree with that because no matter how your performance was you're the one up there...not them. That being said...you said:
"Those are the days when I wonder why I even bother? And then to add insult to injury, I see people in ripped jeans and tshirts, shorts, pajama pants, you name it, I have seen it."

Their clothes makes you wonder, "why you even bother?" Are you kidding? I'm a performer and I know I "bother" because first of all it's what I love to do and second of all it's a major plys if people are thoroughly enjoying my performance. If their being a respectful audience member and not effecting my performance why the hell should I care what they are wearing? Your statement sounds like it came out of pure stupidity...that's all I can say about it.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

#57re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 5:08pm

I'll say it again Di2, if you want to establish a dress code, open your own theatre!
----------------------------------------------------------------
edit: I know a woman who used to ask me "where can I buy some ear muffins? it's really cold outside." and she would tell disgruntled customers to write a letter to "...employee relationships"

Updated On: 6/13/05 at 05:08 PM

Sarah2
#58re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 5:38pm

I've only gone to a few shows on Broadway, but when I've gone I've worn black pants and a nice sweater or blouse or something.

DefyGravity23
#59re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:45pm

It's a free country. Anybody can wear whatever they want. Some people (like me) feel that you SHOULD dress nice for theatre. I never wear jeans to a theatre - even middle school theatre. It's a certain amount of respect that I PERSONALLY feel I should give the actors. I know that when I look out at the audience and I see everyone dressed nicely, I feel special, like these people are actually EXCITED about being there to see me perform. There may be people excited to be there that are dressed in jeans, but the actors can't tell that!

It's just like the fact that you don't HAVE to clap for the actors. You may like the performance, and yet if you don't feel like clapping, you don't have to! The actors will not have the slightest idea that you like the performance unless you clap, but it is your choice. You can clap, or you don't have to. You can dress nice, or you don't have to. You can argue that you spent 100 bucks on a ticket, and so you shouldn't have to spend effort clapping. And yet, clapping is a sign of respect for the actors and THAT IS WHY WE DO IT.

We all agree here that the audience has a responsibilty to clap so we can show respect for the actors. So why is dressing nice any different? I realize that the whole "clapping" thing is an extreme example, but it's true! During the show, the actors can only tell that they are respected by the audience if the audience has good dress, good behavior, they're clapping, and people are staying for the whole show. Nothing else. All these things SHOULD be done. of course, audience members don't have to. They paid for their tickets. They can wear jeans, they can leave in the middle of the show, they don't have to clap. It is a free country after all.

Loppy Profile Photo
Loppy
#60re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:53pm

I agree completely DefyingGravity. It's not a matter of "must" it's a matter of "should". There are times and places for jeans and tee shirts. And there are times and places for looking put together.

I think it's absurd that the arguments of cost and comfort are being brought into this. Just because something is tailored doesn't mean that it must be expensive or uncomfortable. And to be honest, these days a nice pair of jeans is likely to cost you more than a cute skirt or a pair of khakis.

So, yes, you have the "right" to show up looking like common street trash. And I have the "right" to make snide comments about you as you walk by.

But I agree completely with the person who said that this is just another example of how dumbed down our society is. We lower our standards of behavior and decorum with every breath. And we're too stupid to be bothered by it.
Updated On: 6/13/05 at 06:53 PM

#61re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 7:25pm

Unless you pay my rent, I could give three sh*ts about your snide comments.

Loppy Profile Photo
Loppy
#62re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 7:27pm

SOMEONE'S on the defensive.

MaxonBdwy
#63re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 8:17pm

Again...I would prefer people dressing with class, but...OK. I did not write this before because you "actors" will attack me...but, I really don't like it when actors/performers tell audience what to do. I don't like it, if actors/performers start telling "Theatres are high end establishments and deserve to be treated with respect." Yes, I KNOW THAT (you have NO idea how much I know that). But that is something WE (audience) would decide. For you guys (actors/performers), as much as it is ART(or whatever "high End Establishment"), it is your JOB. You are doing it to make living to some extent. So, Please, do not call it ART from your end. WE will give it that name. Please. How can you tell your JOB deserves more respect than mine?

Then again, AUDIENCE...please, please appreciate the performance & performers!!! THEY DESERVE BETTER. It is Audience's responsibility to make performers bring out their best performances. It is a LIVE Theatre experience. And if you cannot do it...please go home and watch DVD on your sofa.

#64re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 1:48am

I am not an actor but my job also depends on a paying public. I wear a well pressed uniform. My shirts are white and ironed. I am impecably groomed. I perform my duties in a professional manner and I do not make a distinction between those wearing a suit and those wearing a faded t-shirt.
Updated On: 6/14/05 at 01:48 AM

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#65re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 6/14/05 at 2:40am

meh, there are just certain things I have to respond to:

"It shows our cast that you couldn't give a rats ass about us and our theatre to take an extra minute out to put on something presentable"

Here's the thing: you've made it quite clear that you feel America and today's audiences or some are quite dumb. So if audiences are dumb, can you admit that it doesn't occur to some of them that if they give a rats ass about the show they HAVE to dress up nicely?

"Theatres are high end establishments and deserve to be treated with respect. Who wants to see some shmuck walking around in a tshirt and jeans when everyone one else is dressed in a shirt and tie."

Again, this has already been stated, it varies, but there are many times I've been at a show when almost everyone has been dressed in T-shirts and jeans and those dressed up are in the minority.

"I think the number one way to show your "respect" to an actor is to be an attentive audience member and not disturb their performance. The way someone dresses is not effecting the actor or anyone else so there is no reason for arguement. "

I completely agree. At the very least, I think everyone, especially the actors, should allow that everyone in the audience is in individual and may wish to demonstrate their respect in different ways. Some may want to give it by dressing nicely, others may want to do it by giving a standing ovation, others may want to do it by going to the stage door and telling the actors how you appreciated the job they did. It's more than that. Some people, like myself, don't feel they're being disrespectful by dressing down, so show respect in other ways.

"There may be people excited to be there that are dressed in jeans, but the actors can't tell that! "

Again, should not be. By other means such as enthusiastically clapping, smiling, standing ovations, etc. I think one can show that they are quite excited to be there.

"So, yes, you have the "right" to show up looking like common street trash. And I have the "right" to make snide comments about you as you walk by"

Just for the record want to say I personally completely agree with you. Freedom of speech is something I treasure in our country.

Finally lots of times I go to the stage doors in my T-shirts and jeans to tell the actors good job, or they did great, or great performance, fantastic performance, you were excellent, etc.(varies). It's good to know from an actor's perspective that they think I OBVIOUSLY don't care about the show or them at all or respect them because as I'm praising them, I'm in a
T-shirt and jeans.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#66re: Appropriate Attire?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 11:45pm

Bump for Blue-Eyed Wonder.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos