News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

A guy singing Defying Gravity?- Page 3

A guy singing Defying Gravity?

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#50re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/17/05 at 5:12pm

"I don't care how great a singer you are, if I were casting a show and a male came in and sang "Defying Gravity" "Rainbow High" or "As if We Never Said Goodbye" I'd have a hard time not thinking the song selection was a little fey..."

I totally agree!!!

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#51re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/17/05 at 5:17pm

Especially since Rainbow High contains lyrics such as "I want to be DAZZLING!" and "You're not decorating a girl for a night on the town...".

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#52re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/17/05 at 5:24pm

I've heard men sing "Rainbow High" for auditions. Most people don't include that verse, but they sound like a "second rate queen" regardless.

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#53re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/17/05 at 5:26pm

I agree with magic8ball and Michael Bennett. That song is, for starters, already a cliche', and secondly, while it doesn't have any lyrics that specifically make it gender-specific, it is far from masculine and would not reflect well on the decision to cast you in most male roles. Now, I'd imagine that there are ways of pulling it off, even in an audition setting, but the only way that I can think of is if you are going for a comedic part and decided to sing the song as camp, which could be very funny. But since you seem very sincere I doubt this is what you had in mind, and in that case, I'd say it would be a very foolish choice.

#54re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 3:53am

I sang this with my voice teacher just because of the different aspects involved with the song that makes it so great, but I do not recommend you singing it as an audition piece for the reasons stated otherwise. However, if you are a powerhouse and truly passionate about the song, sing it at a vocal recital or somewhere else, not so important as an audition. I can sing the hell out of it, but would not sing it as an audition.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#55re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 4:19am

I don't care how great a singer you are, if I were casting a show and a male came in and sang "Defying Gravity" "Rainbow High" or "As if We Never Said Goodbye" I'd have a hard time not thinking the song selection was a little fey...

Yeah, I immediately thought of this as I started reading this topic, though for some reason I thought of "And I'm Telling You". You're basically coming across as not being able to play anything but Carmen Ghia-type roles.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#56re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 4:52am

I'm all for guys singing girls songs if it fits. Just recently one of my male students did a brilliant job of singing Come to our Senses, but Defying Gravity is just so overdone. Wicked is just so overdone. I'm sure you sing it brilliantly but for the overdone sake I would not use it for an audition.

Be the change you want in the world....

Quasi
#57re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 5:35am

A little bit off-topic. Could someone mail me the sheet music for defying gravity? Here in Germany I can't find it. PM me.

I think it's okay singing songs written for women and in return. As long as it is a neutral text and it doesn't become a farce I like different versions. re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?

Greetings from Germany.

Videos