H2$ soudtrack

#50Broadway legends
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:23am

Front there was just a thread on All That Chat where someone said that "with voices like that of Gertrude Lawrence and Mary Martin, it seemed anyone could be a Broadway star back in the 50's" Sad Statement. This is the thread.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=158147

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#51Broadway legends
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:28am

*sigh* A friend of mine hates Showboat. Hates Company. Hates The Sound of Music. But loves Wicked.

And she thought Old Man River was from "that Huck Finn musical."

I almost disowned her.

nolatheatre Profile Photo
nolatheatre
#52Broadway legends
Posted: 8/8/05 at 8:26am

OK let me set this straight! I actully chatted with "ilovespamalot" and we have been referring to her as a guy. "ilovespamalot" is an 11 yr old girl! Duh she would not know the diffrence between soundtrack vs. cast recording! And i agree with theatre trash lets try to stop making people feel like idiots because they are not as educated in the subject as we are. And thank you 2 the people who actully answered the question and decided not 2 be a snob.

Updated On: 8/8/05 at 08:26 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#53Broadway legends
Posted: 8/8/05 at 9:45am

Sorry for the gender error, hun.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#54Broadway legends
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:06pm

"*sigh* A friend of mine hates Showboat. Hates Company. Hates The Sound of Music. But loves Wicked.

That's fine. She may be a friend, but she is NOT a theatre fan.

Now I am not being pompous. There are many people who enjoy seeing shows but are not out-and-out theatre fans. They see the big hits but have little real interest in exploring the genre and understanding its history or seeing how SHOW BOAT relates to SWEENEY TODD.

Unfortunately, those looking for entertainment and spectacle are usually not able to understand or appreciate the complexities of PARADE or PASSION or PIAZZA. This gets troubling because they go back to see PHANTOM and WICKED over and over rather than take a a chance on shows they don't know or don't think they would like.

This is actually the heart of the "discussion" between Michael John LaChiusa and Marc Shaiman.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

tagiunagi
#55Broadway legends
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:21pm

frontrow, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Let the wigs come off, but I really can't get into Showboat. But I am completely able to enjoy and understand and love the musical complexities of Piazza.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#56Broadway legends
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:21pm

i just have a question...ok so i know the difference between a cast recording and a soundtrack, but what is it called when it is a musical that was made into a movie? is that a soundtrack or cast recording?

frontrowcentre2
#57Broadway legends
Posted: 8/9/05 at 3:44am

A film of a musical gets a soundtrack album. ANY album of music froma film is termed a soundtrack. (In the early days, the 40s and 50s, soundtrack albums were often recorded "directly from the soundtrack of teh motion picture." Though that is seldom teh case now the term still stands.) It can also correctly be called a "movie cast album"

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#58Broadway legends
Posted: 8/9/05 at 3:55am

"The two people who attacked him, theatretrash and albin, were rude and a bit nasty. They did convey an attitude of superiority."

I don't believe I've attacked anyone. I simply agreed with a poster. If I'm attacking anything, it's the condescending attitude some have towards people who make the soundtrack/ocs mistake.

frontrowcentre2
#59Broadway legends
Posted: 8/9/05 at 3:57am

"frontrow, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I really can't get into Showboat."

That's fine, but I hope you appreciate that if SHOW BOAT hadn't happened none of the subsequent advancs in musical theatre would not have happened.

SHOW BOAT shows its age and its ties with vaudeville and operetta. But it is no accident that it contains as many hit songs as it does.

There's no law you have to like every show out there. :)

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#60Broadway legends
Posted: 8/9/05 at 10:54pm

thanks frontrowcenter2 for the info! i understand the difference between the two..but that bit always gets me confused

broadwaygal3
#61How to Succeed
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:26am

I would recommend the Original Cast Recording and the soundtrack for the movie (if you can find it). I like the differences in the orchestrations of both. I saw a revival many years ago with Robert Morse and Rudy Vallee. They were brilliant! Of course, it's hard to be objective because I was a huge Robert Morse fan, and I saw that production 8 times! It is one of my favorite shows!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#62How to Succeed
Posted: 8/17/05 at 8:26pm

I just checked out the HOW TO SUCCEED revival CD.

And I LOVE it. The true STAR of this recording is Victoria Clark! What a pleasure to hear her on a jazzy score, she's is fantastic. What can't this woman do?

It's also a treat to hear some Luba Mason. Although I wish I could hear her more on the recording.

I am crazy over the title song, and womens act 2 opener version of it.

I need to check out the OBC, and see the movie.

Videos