H2$ soudtrack

ilovespamalot
#0H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:24am

I was wondering if the "How To Succeed" 1995 revival soundtrack is worth buying?

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#1re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:30am

Loved the show and love the revival cast recording.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

#2re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:33am

There is no revival soundtrack.

There is the soundtrack to the film, starring Robert Morse and Rudy Valle and Michele Lee;

There is the Original Broadway Cast recording starring Robert Morse and Rudy Valle;

and

There is the Revival Broadway Cast recording starring Matthew Broderick.

Which one are you considering?

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#3re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:35am

Calling a Cast Recording (from a live show) a soundtrack is a major faux pas in theatre circles.

Soundtracks are for movies. Cast Recordings are for live theatre.

That being said - I have the 1995 Revival Cast Recording and I find it quite enjoyable.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:36am

It's a good, solid recording. No substitute for the original cast, though. Still, you may prefer it's sound quality. (Recording has come a long way since the '60s!)

I saw this show when it was on Broadway. Matthew was delightful. Megan Mullally was cute (if a bit too cartoonish for that particular role), and Lillias White stopped the show as the secretary riffing on "The Brotherhood of Man." Unfortunately, I don't think Ms. White did quite as well on this recording as she did live on stage. You had to be there. Seriously, I thought the roof was gonna come down from the applause she got after that song!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#5re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:38am

Get the original - Broderick can't come close to Robert Morsse.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#6re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:39am

Don't forget Victoria Clark as Smitty. :)

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:07pm

I didn't even know that was Victoria Clark! She was great as Smitty. So was Luba Mason as Hedy LaRue. Va-va-voom! And Jonathan (voice of "Jafar") Freeman.

It was a solid revival cast.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

iluvtheatertrash
#8re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:14pm

Jesus. We have too many queens on this board.

Soundtrack, Cast Recording, WHO THE HELL CARES? Just answer the guy's question. You know what they meant.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#9re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:20pm

Bravo trash. My thoughts exactly.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#10re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:21pm

You could also answer their question as well as make them aware of an error so that they don't make it again the future.

I know I would want someone to do the same for me. Part of the fun of these boards for me is the learning aspect of it.

Updated On: 8/7/05 at 12:21 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#11re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:22pm

Albin, I'm just so sick of the soundtrack/cast recording review. People make mistakes. Give them a break. So many people on this board make theater folk seem like total unwelcoming snobs.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#12re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:23pm

Well, it does get potentially confusing, as there is a film soundtrack for How to Succeed...though, of course, not from 1995.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

#13re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:26pm

Buy the 1995 DVD of the movie. You get the soundtrack and the movie.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#14re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:38pm

I care. It's a Cast Recording, not a Soundtrack.

Get the Original Broadway Cast Recording. It's the best in my opinion.

#15re: H2$ soundtrack or cast recording
Posted: 8/7/05 at 12:57pm

you think this is unwelcoming? try All That Chat. A cast recording is not a sountrack, simple! this is theatre geek 101.

Updated On: 8/7/05 at 12:57 PM

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#16re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:00pm

Why don't we set up a spot in Shubert Alley to flog anyone who calls it a soundtrack.

If you really care about educating someone, a PM will do it. Unless it's more about showing how superior you really are.

#17re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:02pm

Oh yeah. Knowing the difference between those two things is a real intellectual achievement! I am soooooo superior!
Updated On: 8/7/05 at 01:02 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#18re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:04pm

Well since this show has both a soundtrack and a cast recording, maybe telling someone the difference is important.

And whether you like it or not, it's a Cast Recording, and you WILL look uneducated if you call it anything different. Period.

Ps: Hot pic Chita33.

#19re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:07pm

What is it with some of you! Knowing is better than not knowing. Why do people get so pissed at being corrected? Suck it up, say thank you and move on.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:08pm

If someone called a horse a donkey wouldn't you correct them?

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#21re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:09pm

Normally, I am right there with you on the PM will do it mindset.

However, perhaps there are multiple people reading this thread who are unaware that there is a difference between cast recordings and soundtracks and by posting it in the thread it will help clear that up for several people.

Regardless, it really isn't that big of a deal.

I 2nd what an earlier poster said. I think the OBC Cast Recording is probably a better listen, but the quality and the "polish" isn't anywhere near as good as the 1995 Revival Cast Recording.

Just depends on your tastes I guess. I collect, so I actually have both.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#22re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:14pm

My problem with some revivals is that they tend to treat the material as a nostalgia piece, and perform the material a bit tongue in cheek. While a revival may sound better to more modern ears, I think the original recordings of these shows tend to be a bit more "of the moment" and have a lot more excitement to them. MOst were recording right after rave reviews and you can tell that in the performers voices. The original How to Succeed is a great example of this. The remaster is great sounding, and has some fun extras at the end. The are even a few tracks from the Revival on the OBC remaster, including Clark's "How to..." Reprise that was put in instead of the great "Cinderella, Darling".

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#23re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:15pm

Ah, I didn't realize that there was a remaster out there.

I might have to look into getting that one.

#24re: H2$ soudtrack
Posted: 8/7/05 at 1:17pm

Remastered
re: H2$ soudtrack

Videos