pixeltracker

thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER- Page 3

thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#50re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/15/06 at 7:49am

A fan of Gale Harold's who was at a recent performance was put-out because he escaped the theatre with the emerging crowd instead of meeting with the fans. She then went on to question why he was in the business at all if he did things like that.
I don't get it. Its not like she didn't get to see him in the play - which afterall - is why he's there and what she paid for. Then again, maybe she didn't go for the play at all.

Dr. Sugar could possibly put his labotomy skills to good use off stage by the sound of things.

chrrymn
#51re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/15/06 at 8:14am

I know the night I went everybody was waiting for Gale. Nobody was even phased when Blythe or Carla came out. Only a couple even bothered to go over and have them sign, they didn't even chat or anything. But, I fully admit, that I hoped to meet Brian Kinney...errr, Gale Harold as well. I've never understood why actors bolt, I'd be so appreciative for their loyalty, whether or not it came from Queer As Folk.

::Sarah::
"Mrs. Lovett, how I did without you all these years I'll never know!"

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#52re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/15/06 at 5:03pm

So you didn't get to meet him either?

A number of people who went to see the play have related what it was like to meet him. One reviewer said that Gale asked them not to take pictures, so what did they do? Her girlfriend turned the flash off and took some anyway. Occurances like that are possibly what spoils it for others. I don't know. From what I've read in the past couple of weeks, Gale doesn't sound comfortable being 'famous'. But he loves to act.

Since starting this, I've done some homework and I've found him appealing in his chosen roles. He draws you into his characters and has you empathising with them. Another actor that has consistantly done that for me in the past is Robert Downey Jnr.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#53re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/15/06 at 11:38pm

Danner's accent is not British - it's how upperclass women of that time and region spoke. (And I have to say, I've questioned Hecht's skills since I saw FROZEN - Kurtz couldn't decide what London neighborhood she was from for the life of her.) She and Gugino are the saving graces of this production - they're both fierce. Gale Harold is just - as my companion put it - out of his league. Every time he spoke, I felt as if I was watching a high school production. Shipley has a list of Broadway credits as long as my arm, yet I found her unwatchable. The others are fine with not a lot to do - I can see why Baker plays roles that Deb Monk has played - she's practically her twin.

I enjoyed the play, having never seen it. I'd like to see it with a consistently fine cast next time.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 11/15/06 at 11:38 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#54re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 1:21am

Agreed, Rath. Still, I would go back simply to see Gugino again. So. Brilliant.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#55re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 4:25am

Oh well. Then I have a quote for Gale Harold from the immeasurable talents of Nick Cave -

"The greatest artists have failed. My heroes have had their abysmal periods in their careers. It just doesn't matter that much."

Any word on what Carla is planning to do next?

Updated On: 11/16/06 at 04:25 AM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#56re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 7:37am

To the people who've seen it since it opened, was the theater pretty full when you saw it?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#57re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 9:19am

It just opened last night.

Brantley's review of Danner's performance is simply baffling. And so off.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#58re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:05pm

I agree, Rath. It seemed to be very polarizing amongst the reviews.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#59re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:05pm

"(When Catharine is delivering the long account of the events leading to Sebastian’s death, Violet appears simply to have nodded off in her wheelchair.)"

Is he kidding???

munkustrap178
#60re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:09pm

I agree, Rath. Danner was a hell of a lot better than Brantley is suggesting.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#61re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:14pm

When I saw the show (matinee on November 4th), Danner was lifeless. Gugino, IMO, is the only reason to see this play (and she is a fabulous reason to see it).

munkustrap178
#62re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:18pm

The play itself is reason enough to go, along with Gugino. It's something that's rarely done, and we won't see another professional production in New York for a long, long, long time.

If you haven't seen this yet, please do go. Gugino is superb. Tickets are extremely hard to come by, but try cancellation or something.

There is also a pending extension (past the current 1/14 closing date). They are waiting on Danner and Gugino's agents' approval. Hopefully after the raves for Gugino, they will go ahead with it.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#63re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:22pm

"The play itself is reason enough to go, along with Gugino."

I agree. The play itself is also very good.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#64re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:24pm

The fact that the play is being done again makes me happy, too.

I can't wait to see it.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#65re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:26pm

Lifeless? Seriously?

Wow.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#66re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/16/06 at 11:25pm

Anyone watched the slide show with Carla talking about the play?
It's here

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#67re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/17/06 at 9:57am

i'm glad i'm not the only one who didn't get to see Gale Harold. though i wasn't really impressed by this performance. Carla just came across as super whiny and like a kid who was trying to push tears through that weren't coming.

the whole Amazonian staging threw me off.

glass
#68re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/17/06 at 10:23am

I agree completely. Carla was embarrassingly bad and I simply can't imagine thinking otherwise. But whatever.

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#69re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/21/06 at 9:27am

The majority of people have loved Carla's performance. Maybe it was an off night for her? Then again, you can't please all of the people all of the time, eh?

Updated On: 11/22/06 at 09:27 AM

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#70re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/22/06 at 8:26am

Just letting people know I edited my last post, removing the comments about the IMDb messageboards. I realized my comments pretty much put in the position of contributing to the fuss, and that wasn't my intention. Far from it.
Updated On: 11/22/06 at 08:26 AM

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#71re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/26/06 at 5:00am

Does anyone know if they have extended the season yet?

ducdebrabant
#72re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/29/06 at 9:32pm

Yes, they've extended by a week.

Videos