pixeltracker

thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER

thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#0thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:33pm

After subjecting myself to Roundabout's last snooze-fest, HEARTBREAK HOUSE, I was more than a little suspect of this one.

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER is one of Tennessee Williams' best and most personal plays (and his most poetic, I believe) and it is truly wonderful and thrilling to have it back on the boards. It is especially thrilling with - at least what looks like on paper - a first rate cast.

First, Blythe Danner is just splendid as Mrs. Venable. I do question her accent, but overall, her performance is incredibly focused and solid. There was a moment in the beginning of the show when she actually called for a line - which was more than a little awkward - but she quickly took control and basically made you forgive her. She isn't as brilliant as she could be - but for literally just beginning previews, I have no doubt that her performance will grow into something quite extraordinary. Though I do think that she needs some pushing, all preconceptions aside, she is giving one of the most solid performances I have seen in quite some time.

Gale Harold deserves praise for taking on such a play, but unfortunately, he comes off like a guppie in a sea full of sharks. He's trying - that's evident - and it's almost cute to see him try- but there are moments when you could close your eyes and swear you were hearing Keanu Reeves. Completely amateur in every sense of the word. A new Dr. "Sugar" Cukrowicz would indeed help bring this production to the level it has the capability to be at.

Carla Gugino is an absolute gem. She hasn't quite burst into Hollywood stardom yet, but she is absolutely becoming one of New York's strongest actresses. The only salvagable aspect of AFTER THE FALL, she is - as she was there - the biggest asset to this production. Okay sure, maybe her accent could use some work here and there - but the raw sex and emotion that she emits throughout the show is enough to take your breath away. She is a gorgeous woman, and a gorgeous actress - and she should be applauded and commended for her heart stopping performance here.

The supporting cast of Karen Walsh, Wayne Wilcox, Becky Ann Baker, and Sandra Shipley all do fine work - though Becky Ann Baker seems a bit erratic.

Again, it should be noted that the accents here are all over the place. Blythe Danner's is British, Gale Harold doesn't have one, and Carla Gugino is Southern. Wayne Wilcox and Becky Ann Baker are also Southern, but with a different twang. It really makes you question the talents of not only dialect coach Deborah Hecht, but also the keen eye of director Mark Brokaw.

It seems that the homosexual undertones have been tamed here. Of course, the text is all there - but the emphasis has changed. It didn't totally detract from the impact of the piece, but it certainly makes Mrs. Venable's steadfast intentions slightly more suspect.

The final moments of the show will take your breath away, and leave you wanting more. Thanks to the splendid lighting design of David Weiner, the final moments of the play unfold beautifully. Santo Loquasto should also be applauded for his always excellent costumes and lighting.

Is this a definitive production of SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER? Absolutely not. It is, however, an extremely rewarding production of a brilliant play not often produced. I absolutely urge you to get tickets - it is not to be missed. In an industry plagued with Witches, Grinches, dancing cutlery, ABBA, singing apes,and a traveling circus - this production is surely a breath of fresh air.

4/5 stars.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#1re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:40pm

Santo is doing lighting now?
He's amazing.

I really want to see this, thanks for the thread Munk.
Blythe Danner is a National Treasure.

munkustrap178
#2re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:42pm

I highly recommend this. It is a gorgeous, gorgeous play.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#3re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/29/06 at 12:08am

I'm hoping to see this soon... I hope Gale improves. I love him..

C is for Company
#4re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/29/06 at 1:27am

I almost saw this today, but I plan on possibly going later because seeing Grey Gardens and Chorus Line today took precedence.

chrrymn
#5re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:47am

Can I ask what you mean by "though Becky Ann Baker seems a bit erratic."? Just curious. I'm seeing the show next week.

::Sarah::
"Mrs. Lovett, how I did without you all these years I'll never know!"

munkustrap178
#6re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/29/06 at 1:21pm

She seems, at points, disconnected from what's actually going on. It is almost as if she is doing her best Margo Martindale MILLION DOLLAY BABY impression.

munkustrap178
#7re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/29/06 at 10:14pm

Bump, because I want people to see this show.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#8re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/29/06 at 10:43pm

I think I'm going to take a trip to N.Y. to see it in a month or so.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

addisonmill
#9re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/29/06 at 11:51pm

I saw the show last week... TREMENDOUS is the best description. The performances were wonderful, especially Carla Gugino's-- it's a shame she's not eligible for a Tony nom. The lighting and set design are also extraordinary and very effective.

DEFINITELY a must see... especially if you are not familiar with the play (I wasn't.)

virgil blessing2 Profile Photo
virgil blessing2
#10re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/30/06 at 12:24am

yeah, i love the piece, myself.

i heard from a pal that at a resent sunday performance: blythe did solid work, the new girl (whoever she is, who played Catherine) did a swell job with her long closing monologue, gale was an utter embarrassment AND dull as dishwater, the supporting cast members were blah, and that Sebastian's wild, untamed and erotically prehistoric garden (a prominent part of the set design, that Tennessee spent about a page or 2 describing in the script, that is supposed to be primative,wondrous and eerie) was the equiovalent of some potted stuff from a local Chelsea plant seller. LOL. that's rough.

that set is all about Sebastian's garden... it's design, composition and lighting...to make it "just so". i actually read a few folks smashing the set. well, to each his/her own, right?

"I am not 'a' Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns!!!"

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#11re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/30/06 at 3:55am

Since, the time change, suddenly, last summer is over and I'm still waiting for after the fall...that's when I have tickets for this great play.

Thanks, for the post Munk.

I can't wait to see it when they all get into the winter of their own discontent... re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#12re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/30/06 at 7:52am

Saw it Friday night. I thought it was OK, wife thought it was great. Worth seeing!

SorryGrateful
#13re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/30/06 at 9:54am

"The performances were wonderful, especially Carla Gugino's-- it's a shame she's not eligible for a Tony nom."

Forgive my ignorance, but why not?

I heartily wish I could see this. Tennessee Williams' plays send me into convulsions of rapture when they're done well.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

MissNY
#14re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/30/06 at 10:17am

Suddenly Last Summer is off-Broadway and the Tonys are strictly Broadway awards

SorryGrateful
#15re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 10/30/06 at 10:34am

Oh, I didn't realize it was OB. Good to know!

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

#16re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/1/06 at 10:44pm

I saw this show too, and I guess I agree with your reviews, but I think we definitely have to keep in mind that this is still in previews. Gale Harold DID admit that he feels like he has a better grasp on the other characters than he does on his own, which for now, should be fine. Learning a role is a process, and I don't think there should be any argument that his is the most difficult to play. Blythe Danner and Carla Gugina have a much simpler task on their hands, because they have a lot of dialogue and are very defined, dramatic characters. Though it takes work to master those roles, the text gives them everything they need to know and a lot to work with. Gale Harold, on the other hand, has a very ambiguous character, and he has to define his own personality for him. Dr. Sugar is merely a bridge between the two women, and it seemed as though Harold was attempting to overcompensate for the fact that the script gave him little to work with. I say give him time...he's a brilliant actor. He'll work it out.

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#17re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/2/06 at 10:31pm

After reading the few threads here about SLS it sounds worth seeing - not that I'll get the chance. Hope Gale nails it - when he's good, he's sublime.

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#18re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/2/06 at 10:59pm

Muchado, sorry to break the news to you. He does not nail it.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#19re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/2/06 at 11:31pm

Can't wait to see it.

but there are moments when you could close your eyes and swear you were hearing Keanu Reeves.

In Something's Gotta Give or Dracula? Updated On: 11/2/06 at 11:31 PM

munkustrap178
#20re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/2/06 at 11:55pm

More like SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE. Sort of like THUMBSUCKER.

If you guys want to get tickets, word around Roundabout is that as of tomorrow, the will have to stop selling it. I'm sure there will be cancelation, but if you're coming in from out of town buy your tickets now.

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#21re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/3/06 at 2:20am

Cancel the whole thing? That's sad. But maybe not surprising.

C is for Company
#22re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/3/06 at 2:43am

Wait, can I not rush the show then? I'm sorry, I was just a bit confused by the last posts.

munkustrap178
#23re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/3/06 at 3:05am

Stop selling the show because it's sold out.

I meant cancellation line, which Roundabout always has.

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#24re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/3/06 at 4:56am

My apologies. Didn't mean to cause confusion. I'm glad I was wrong though. Updated On: 11/6/06 at 04:56 AM

Videos