BrodyFosse123
#50re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 6:41pm

re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#51re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 6:54pm

That's a WONDERFUL ad for La Cage Aux Folles, BrodyFosse! Thanks for sharing it.

Honestly, I've never made it all the way through Lucy's MAME. Try as I might... more pleasant diversions like dentist appointments, doing my taxes, and cleaning the cat box always seem to pull me away from it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

#52re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 7:34pm

I actually adore that poster but I'm with best here--I find it unwatchable, not even enjoyable as camp. I can't believe this film has so many fans on here when everyone trashes the Night Music film so severely (which is my guilty pleasure 70s movie musical)

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#53re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 9:19pm

I've never seen "A Little Night Music." And, I'm so glad that it's coming out on dvd, as well.

"Mame," along with some other movies, fell into that category of...Well-I-Have-To-Hate-It-Because-Everyone-Else-Does...nonsense.

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#54re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 9:25pm

Now if only Lost Horizon would make its way to DVD then I will have:

MAME
A Little Night Music
Lost Horizon
and
Sextette

as my Movie Musical Guilty Pleasures!!!

I love MAME even with it's flaws. I only wish the songs had picked up tempos, such as in "We Need a Little Christmas" it is soooooooo slow!!!

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#55re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 9:58pm

Don't forget to add "At Long Last Love" and "Song Of Norway" to that guilty musical pleasure list.

Hopefully, when "Lost Horizon" does come out on dvd, it will be the full length, road show version.

#56re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 10:01pm

I love At Long Last Love for some reason. I don't hate Mame cuz everyone else does--i find it a huge chore to sit through. Point blank.

I kinda love the Lost Horizon score (but i am a hueg Bacharach fan) but man that has got to have osme of the mos tinept directing ofr a musical ever

jimnysf
#57re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 2:50am

and don't forget to add this one to your musical guilty pleasures....

re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

#58re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 3:45am

I love Can't Stop the Music though it doesn't trump Thank God its Friday as my fave disco film (but I suppose that's less of a musical). I LOVE that quote they use for it "you've never seen anything beofre like it" uhhh yeah. It's worth it for the nudity filled YMCA number alone!

jimnysf
#59re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 4:29am

And "Can't Stop..." stars the wonderful Tammy Grimes and June Havoc (the real life "Baby June herself)!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.
Updated On: 4/16/07 at 04:29 AM

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#60re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 7:49am

I forgot about At Long Last Love! Although, I really enjoyed it! Loved those Cole Porter songs! And of course Eileen Brennen and Madeline Kahn are wonderful! I have Lost Horizon and At Long Last Love on VHS, it be great to release a box set with all those "so bad we love em" musicals.

I have never seen Songs of Norway. Leonard Maltin gave it a bomb so I kind of steered clear, but hey He doesn't know everything.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#61re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 9:16am

I love Lost Horizon as well! Not in the same tub-o'-crap category as Mame. For me...

Tub-o'-crap/Barely Watchable/Please Stop the Music:

Mame
Man of La Mancha
A Little Night Music (although I've made it all the way through a couple of times)
Song of Norway
A Chorus Line
The Wiz
Annie
Phantom of the Opera
Goodbye, Mr. Chips (O'Toole)

Guilty Pleasures/Campy Treasures:

Lost Horizon
The Apple
Can't Stop the Music
The Little Prince
Sextette
Pufnstuf
Father Frost (Russia)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Phantom of the Paradise

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#62re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 11:00am

I've always wanted to see "Can't Stop The Music." I saw "Lost Horizon" a few years back on the big screen here in LA. It was very, very good. Michael York was there for a Q&A after the movie.

#63re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 8:11pm

Oh come on Phantom of the Paradise isn't even a guilty pleasure--=it's genius I think :P it shoulda been another ROcky Horror.

What's Father Frost? i'd love to see a Russian bad musical...

I agree with most of your list Bar though I like Night Music flaws and all as I've said, Annie has some guilty pleasure for me cuz as a small kid I loved it (took me years till Ir ealized I was used to a "taped off tv" edited version) and I think Lonely Hearts Club band is hard to sit thru--I'd rather as imilar Ken Russell film like Lizstomania or even the overated Tommy in my guilty pleasure list instead.

As for the Wiz--oy. Horrendous--if it wasn't so ponderous it would be an awesome guilty pleasure

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#64re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 8:56pm

Yeah, you're right..."The Wiz," is just bad....oi...

LoringsGuy
#65re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 10:42pm

I think there are actually some brilliant things about THE WIZ...namely the production and costume design...but overall the movie is kind of dreary.

CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC is sheer so-bad-it's-good nirvana. Truly, there are some sights in that film you have to see to believe. Several great one-liners, too!

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#66re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/16/07 at 10:57pm

Don't get me startedon THE WIZ. That movie had me crying for a week!

When I think of the movie MAME I think of Kirby Furlong as Young Patrick Dennis He gave one of the most excrutiating "LEMME OUTTA HERE!!!" performances ever captured on fim! He looked like his mother MADE him go into show business!

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!
Updated On: 4/16/07 at 10:57 PM

jondouglas
#67re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 11/27/07 at 10:56pm

I've never seen THE WIZ. Caught it a few times channel surfing and stuff. "Ease On Down The Road" is a good song........very catchy.

Videos