#50re: Annie Get Your Gun--original vs. revisal
Posted: 3/11/08 at 6:24pm

I like the original better

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#51re: Annie Get Your Gun--original vs. revisal
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:17pm

"More than anything, my problems with the revival (besides Bernadette) and agreeing with Elmore3003 here is the "Show within the Show" concept. Colonel Buffalo Bill is going to tell us how Annie got together with Frank."

Hmm...I wish this was a year ago when I would know for sure, but if I remember correctly, they never come out and say this is how Annie got with Frank, (though I believe they do say that at the end), but more just kinda preview taht Annie became a big star...they introduce each character, and then say "as for our leading lady, well, you'll meet her later" or something. But I guess with the tone and such of the revival, you can infer that it's gonna end happy. But then again, that kind of show in this day and age, I still say audiences would assume it would end happy without that context.

Cool to reread this thread.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Ed_Mottershead
#52re: Annie Get Your Gun--original vs. revisal
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:26pm

I saw the 1999 version (as well as the 1966 version with Merman) and have seen the show several times in Summer stock. I think what irked me more than anything about '99 was Frank Butler's opening the show with a very soft-peddled Show Business. I knew that we were in trouble then and my suspcions were borne out as the show progressed (if you call that progressing).

BroadwayEd

dfwactor
#53re: Annie Get Your Gun--original vs. revisal
Posted: 3/12/08 at 1:11pm

Yeah, you know wrq, I am not for sure they actually say that, but it was my impression from watching the show. I am just curious enough right now to get my hands on the updated script and take a look.

LittlexFallxOfxRain
#54re: Annie Get Your Gun--original vs. revisal
Posted: 3/13/08 at 12:21am

I personally am not a huge fan of the show, but I would have to say the '66 revival.

puppetman2
#55re: Annie Get Your Gun--original vs. revisal
Posted: 3/13/08 at 12:16pm

There was a TV version of the show with Mary Martin doing her version of Annie that she dud for the first national tour. Frank was John Raitt. There was a studio recording of them doing most of the numbers but no other cast members.

It Sucks To Be Me

Videos