pixeltracker

What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?- Page 3

What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?

#50re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:31pm

Oh, I adore Declan's voice. I find it hard to understand him sometimes, but it's really beautiful.

robin3 Profile Photo
robin3
#51re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:34pm

AIDS has killed many older people, its not a "young person disease". I lost my dad in 1989 to AIDS. He was 58, too young to die, but hardly a young person. People of all generations are affected by AIDS, still to this day.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#52re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:41pm

and cancer can affect many young people , males in particular can be very vulnerable between 18 and 30.

Rent will always be relevant

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#53re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:51pm

orange, you're generally right; I don't think it's really an exact parallel. But it does seem as though cancer is becoming more and more common and affecting more and more people and younger ages (testicular cancer, breast cancer even, and especially leukemia) as result of just the environment we live in. The point is more that people tend to think just because AIDS is not an epidemic in this country the way it was in the 80s that Rent has lost relevance, but there certainly are diseases that put people in the a similar position of trying to figure out how to enjoy what left you have of life (or your loved ones have...) when you know your life expectancy is significantly shorter than you may have ever foreseen.

Like I said, obviously not a true parallel, but when people say that Rent is dated because AIDS is not an issue like it once was...I think Rent isn't limited to specifically AIDS , so much as what a life-threatening disease like that does to a young person and his or her loved ones.

misschung
#54re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 12:15am

That's true. Audiences are still moved by La Boheme even though people are no longer suffering and dying from tb.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

Becky
#55re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 12:22am

If you make Roger angry from the begining, and then he's still Angry in the end, what was the point of the show? There was no arc? It's just a difference of opinion, but I thought it was horible. I guess we'll see when he comes to B'way. Which I'm really suprised he's going to B'way.

I didn't think he played him angry from beginning to end, and for those like me who felt he was one of the best Rogers I've seen in 10+ years of seeing the show, I thought it was only a matter of time before they moved him to the NY company. He received good reviews on the road and a lot of people seem to enjoy him. No surprise for me.

Craww
#56re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 12:41am

I don't relate to the concept of the show being outdated at all. I can buy the show being outplayed and running out of steam, but the message behind the show should be enduring, and if it's not...I think that's a personal and subjective flaw, not an objective flaw that the show has. Not for me, anyway. Maybe it's different if you've ever had a loved one deal with AIDS, as I and many others have. I really don't know.

One actor we haven't discussed who I would love to see join the Broadway cast is Warren. I enjoyed his Collins tremendously. What did you think of him?

Maybe not the most balanced Collins I've seen, but I think I enjoyed him the most because his tone is really incredible to listen to, and he was charming. So, definitely a positive, and I think an improvement on the actor currently playing it at the Nederlander.

I hope that Harley and Declan equalize when they begin the show. My perceived negatives of Declan evening out, others perceived negatives of Harley as well. They definitely have performance chemistry together, maybe the Broadway cast can elevate their overall performance and chemistry with the piece itself.

CHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
#57re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/27/07 at 6:29am

I personally cant say how sucsessful its doing as I havent seen it and I live in the UK, however as they are putting in original cast memebers, that does suggest it is suffering, but it must be doing O.K. as they are bringing the show over here, god knows why considering its history over here, but I do hope it does not close on Broadway as I am hopefully coming over to New York next Summer and would LOVE to see it!

"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French

Videos