pixeltracker

What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?

What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?

Yankeefan007
#1What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 8:27pm

In The Heights isn't taking the Nederlander.
Beauty and the Beast isn't taking the Nederlander.
A Tale of Two Cities isn't take the Nederlander.

Rent will be around for a while to come, mark my words.

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#2re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 8:30pm

People hear one rumor, and they fly off with it. It happens all the time on the board

This show is still doing very strongly. No matter what, its has great audience attendance, is a cult hit, and one of the best shows (IMO) to ever be on Broadway.

It has a long life ahead of it re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#2re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 8:32pm

Yup ! They removed it on TDF too ! which means..........
J*

Updated On: 7/24/07 at 08:32 PM

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#3re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 8:32pm

I beg to differ. They only sold sixty-one percent of the available tickets last week. They'll see Christmas at best.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Yankeefan007
#4re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 8:35pm

Audience capacity doesn't matter. What matters is how much the show grosses. The overhead is very low, therefore they have a lower break even point.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#5re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 8:52pm

uh it should close. It is out dated and boring.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#6re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:03pm

^ Which is precisely everyone's point. Not that we don't love the show, but it's grown very outdated, and the way they've gone on to present the material leaves much to be desired.

These rumors start because we respect the show and we want the damn thing to close while it's still - relatively - on top. It's not like it's not making a profit, it made a lot of people rich over the years. Now they have other shows, like "Avenue Q," making a profit, so it's time to shut down the secondary nest egg.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#7re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:39pm

Why does everyone want it to close?

It's still selling tickets. . it's in a theatre no one wants. .

Just leave it alone.

~Jacob.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#8re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:53pm

I might get flamed for this, but I think that RENT should close soon and go out with some dignity rather than later when it's grossing almost nothing and playing to a 30 or 40 percent filled theatre.

The producers have already made their money back several times over. Why not just send it on its way already?

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

lawyerman Profile Photo
lawyerman
#9re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:55pm

its simple economics.

as long as the show consistently makes $275,00+ a week, the producers have no reason to close it. especially when it still rakes it in during the holiday/spring months.

theyll close when theyre good and ready.

#10re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:55pm

Does anyone know how much $ they have grossed over the years???

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#11re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:59pm

RENT has grossed $249,469,120.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

GuitarGirl Profile Photo
GuitarGirl
#12re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 10:01pm

Apparently, Declan Bennett is playing the role of Roger after Adam and will be around until March. From his site.

"I'm sort of like a child genius without being a child or a genius."~Tim Rice-Oxley

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#13re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 10:23pm

I beg to differ. They only sold sixty-one percent of the available tickets last week. They'll see Christmas at best.

And yet they were near sold-out last night. Rent's grosses have dramatically fluctuated between barely breaking even and full capacity for years now.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

viola13
#14re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 10:29pm

According to Declan's blog, Harley Jay's been picked up as Mark and that their contracts are until March 2008.
Declan's blog

GuitarGirl Profile Photo
GuitarGirl
#15re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 10:47pm

Well, Rent won't be going anywhere until next year, then.

"I'm sort of like a child genius without being a child or a genius."~Tim Rice-Oxley

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#16re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 10:55pm

Rent has been going back and forth from hardley having anyone in the theatre to having it being clos to sold out. And, you cannot judge how well a show is doing on ticket sales alone. Rent is in a theatre that no one really is looking at for their shows. And also, Rent has pretty low running coasts. When the proudcers got the theatre for the start of it's broadway run. they got it at a very low rent because it was at a theatre that no one wanted and they were looking for a theatreso the neerlanders gave them that one and didn't really carge a lot for rent or ukeep. It is the swame way today. I do think hwever that they re not going to close the show because they are not really loosing as much money as many people tend to think they are. And its not like it is a hard show to promote and sell tickets for. It dows have a cult following as someone said rand they would be stupid to close it.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

erinrebecca
#17re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:15pm

Is there really a reason to have two threads discussing the exact same thing?

#18re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:17pm

Plus, they'll get major sold-out audiences to have Rapp and Pascal back in the show, and when Declan and Harley step in, they'll be getting great reviews. I saw the latter on the national tour, and loved them.

misschung
#19re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:23pm

lickthelightbulb, you do know it's the "Czech" Republic, right? It's not the republic of bank drafts re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

#20re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:31pm

I often find being an idiot is one of my most memorable charms. Honestly, I just didn't know how to spell it. So I thought of one that wasn't totally English and went with it. :)
Updated On: 7/24/07 at 11:31 PM

misschung
#21re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:41pm

lol, it's okay. It was a funny coincidence because I just came back from the Czech Republic, and I also just recently watched that video from the Drama Desks. I just happened to look at your signature, and I was like "hey wait a second..." heh

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#22re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:50pm

"as long as the show consistently makes $275,00+ a week, the producers have no reason to close it. especially when it still rakes it in during the holiday/spring months."

Hmm...but when it's a show like Beauty and the Beast and Phantom, everyone wants those to close even though those aren't losing money either...

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

#23re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:58pm

Misschung- Thanks for pointing it out! Did you really go? That sounds somewhat insanely cool.
Well, BatB is closing, so that wish is granted. And do people really want Phantom to close? I thought it'd be like, really big with tourists or something. Plus, it's still selling like, 85% of its tickets per week, which we've just proved doesn't mean anything, but it sounds like it's popular.

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#24re: What's with Everyone Thinking Rent's Closing?
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:41am

Yes Declan and Harley have signed their contracts. I posted that info on this site months ago.

Tracy McDowell will also be joining the Broadway cast as well, playing Maureen

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

Videos