pixeltracker

NEXT TO NORMAL launches updated website (videos, sound clips, etc)- Page 3

NEXT TO NORMAL launches updated website (videos, sound clips, etc)

AndAllThatJazz22
#50re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:04pm

And no I have not SEEN it, but I've heard the audios. I know the storylines, the scenes, the songs the lines and I know how I reacted to them. It's not like I heard half of a song and think I know the entire show.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#51re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:05pm

You're welcome. I can see it both ways. I look at it largely as Henry's trying to get through to her in whatever way he can...and when he tried being straight-out romantic before she freaked. Plus he's stoned, so not exactly thinking clearly. Hee! But I can see your point too.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

KingKong
#52re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:09pm

Sorry, steven, my response to you wasn't meant to be rude.

now in regards to the stupidity that keeps popping up

How does it not fit with the emotional patterns? Its not like he cursing at her? He is acknowledging that she, someone who has proclaimed themselves, ****ed up, is perfect. Is he supposed to tone it down and say messed up? Screwed up? THEN THAT WOULDN'T FIT because Natalie has previously used the the term **** up. again, if you're going to comment like you know what you're saying, please know what you're saying.

AndAllThatJazz22
#53re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:12pm

SERIOUSLY!! Can we just LET GO!

For the last time, the emotional pattern throughout the rest of the song are emotions of romance, love, and IMHO there is nothing romantic and love-like about the F word. It's a perfectly fine word to use, I use it, you use it, half of the WORLD uses it. All I'm saying is, for a very, very short moment, I am taken away from the feelings of romance and love and sweetness.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

snl89
#54re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:15pm

I do see where you're coming from AllThatJazz. But I actually feel like it does add a certain amount of "realness" to Henry's character, that he would use the f word even in the midst of lovey, gushy conversation.

I feel like part of what makes the show work so well is that you have Gabe, who is this slightly pretentious, very "golden boy" near-perfect character, and then you have Henry who is very raw and gritty for direct contrast. He is the real one. So I think, in a sense, the fact that he would curse even in a song like that really does go right along with his character. Because Henry's not supposed to be the perfect one. He's a pot smoking, off-beat, cursing kind of person. He's just the type who would curse in a time like that.

And just in terms of the set up for the song in general, it does kind of make sense because (and I think this is was jordangirl was getting at) I think he's using the term "f**ked up" as a direct response to what Natalie had said. You know what I mean? Natalie says "I'm like one f**k-up from disaster", so then Henry's response is "well f**ked up is perfect". It's not just like she says it before the song starts so then it makes sense that he'd say it in the song just because they're similar or whatever. He specifically uses the term in response to her use of it.

So yeah, I'm gonna have to go with that it works :) But I do understand what you're saying. I just think in this particular case it does kind of work.

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 3/19/09 at 09:15 PM

KingKong
#55re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:18pm

I am taken away from the feelings of romance and love and sweetness.

When at the same time, an intelligent person realizes that in fact, probably the most romantic moment of the song. GOOD SHOW jazz, good show.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#56re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:20pm

sorry to go off-topic here but...did anyone ever see Aaron Tveit as Roger in Rent?

AndAllThatJazz22
#57re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:21pm

snl89 (and jordagirl), I do understand your point as you understand mine. And I don't want it to like like I HATE this show because of a tiny thing that makes me itch. It's no secret that I love Chicago (as seen in my user name), and even that show has a tiny thing here and there that I kind of don't like, and it's perfectly fine. No show is perfect, (not even gypsy). Like I've said, I am not an avid fan of the material, but I don't think it's garbage.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#58re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:59pm

KING DILDO DONG - CALM DOWN

KingKong
#59re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 10:01pm

Go back to worshiping you screaming, overly made up pop star wannabe.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#60re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 10:10pm

no, THANK GOD. Does **** hurt your fragile sensibilities? good lord. teenagers say ****, deal with it.

I'm sixteen and I have never once used that word. I'm not particularly offended when I hear other people say it, and I don't mind when it's in the context of a show, but I just wish you wouldn't make blanket statements like that.

When they promoted Next to Normal at my school, it was all, "You teenagers hate those boring old musicals with soppy music, huh? You'll love Next to Normal! It has rock music and bad words and real-life problems! You can RELATE to it!" It bothered me that they marketed it as the cure to 'boring old musicals' that teenagers can't relate to. The whole 'all-teenagers-are-exactly-the-same' stratagy has always bothered me.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
Updated On: 3/19/09 at 10:10 PM

Craww
#61re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/19/09 at 10:13pm

It should rock more, sorry to say. Kind of reminds me of how lame the music mix was on the High Fidelity recording. (Also, I miss Brian, but he's the one I saw so it's a definite bias.)

I'll still listen to it unhealthy amounts, probably. I love this show beyond reason.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#62re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 6:44am

schmerg ~ Sadly generalization of "types" of people applies throughout life. Fair? No. But it happens, and the minorities are always grouped in with the masses. It's how advertising has worked for ages.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

nyc1870
#63re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 9:58am

Wait does Natalie no longer say **** all those times in the song 'Perfect'? What else has changed about that song?

KingKong
#64re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 10:04am

its a completely different song now. As far as I know its called Everything Else now, and its about how if the music is beautiful it can cover up how crazy you are (she sings about how despite being absolutely out of his mind "bat****" crazy, mozart's music is beautiful and you donn't hear the craziness) and how if she can play it well enough she'll get a scholarship for college and get away from her less than perfect life. The song still takes place in the practice room, she still gets interrupted and flirts with Henry.

So really, a similarly themed song, but toned down a lot both in mood and music.

nyc1870
#65re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 5:08pm

Ok, thanks! Was this change done before Arena or before 2ST?

KingKong
#66re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 7:35pm

before Arena

TheCharleston
#67re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 7:45pm

no, really King Kong, which cast member are you sleeping with? I'm being totally serious.

KingKong
#68re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 7:46pm

I'll tell you, if you tell me how long you've been blowing adam lambert. Updated On: 3/20/09 at 07:46 PM

TheCharleston
#69re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 7:56pm

I've met Adam once. No blowing.. but we did have a drink or two. What a sweet guy.

Your turn, sweetheart.

AndAllThatJazz22
#70re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:02pm

Don't feed the trolls Charleston

KingKong
#71re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:04pm

so wait, you've defended him, rather fiercely, as an honorable, selfless person, who didn't mean to spit on musical theatre when he spit on musical theatre and you've only met him once? That's like me saying I know all there is to know about Arnold SChwarzenager (i know its not spelled right) because I almost got cast in Kindergarten Cop and got to play tag with him at the last call back.

AndAllThatJazz22
#72re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:25pm

I just finished listening to 17 amazing songs from the 'Feeling Electric' Demo, while I do quite like the new actors for the young characters, why did they recast all the adult characters. They're MUCH better in 'Feeling Electric'. SHERIE!!! NORBERT!! ARE YOU READING THIS!!!

KingKong
#73re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:26pm

because that demo was made like 8 years ago.

AndAllThatJazz22
#74re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:27pm

Um, Lea Michelle was involved with spring awakening for a LONG time.

Videos