pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 31

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

froote
#750Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 11:03am

It was definitely a weaker season and I agree with Scarlet Leigh that if Anastasia does get a Best Musical nomination, it will likely be the 5th spot. 

However, Aladdin being the better show is just an opinion. I personally enjoyed Anastasia far more and Anastasia's critic score on Show-Score is only one point lower than Aladdin.

I just do believe there is a path for Anastasia. If Aladdin can get nominated over The Bridges of Madison County, then I think Anastasia can get nominated over Bandstand or War Paint.

Updated On: 4/30/17 at 11:03 AM

ForB4
#751Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/30/17 at 11:09am

Well, if we're comparing Aladdin vs Anastasia, I agree with froote. Imo Anastasia is a better show and a wonderful adaptation. Yes, while there are some problems in the show, I think it does deserve the Best Musical nomination. I guess we'll see in a couple days!

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#752Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 5/1/17 at 9:33pm

Best Choreography question: In a constantly-moving show like Come From Away, what constitutes direction and what constitutes choreography? They obviously worked hand in hand, but from a Tony perspective, what's the difference? (Is the show sung-through? I loved it, but I honestly can't remember. It felt like it was.)

Edited to add a second nominations question: Is there protocol in place of a three way tie? Like, with Leading Actress in a Musical, let's say the overwhelming majority pick Midler, LuPone, and Ebersole. The next majority pick Benton. Then there's an exact (or near) tie between Osnes, Altomare, and Noblezada for the 5th spot. Does it go to 7 nominees? Follow-up question: Is there a place to read all of these rules? I found the rules & regulations pdf through the official Tonys site, and it has a lot, but unless I missed it, nothing about the nominations process itself in terms of ties, eligible number of nominees, etc. I'm just curious about the process - I'm not in the business. 

Updated On: 5/1/17 at 09:33 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#753Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 5/1/17 at 10:05pm

Robbie2 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "On a random note, Amélie has garnered a grand total of zero nominations from both the Outer Critics Circle and the Drama Desk. I feel confident saying it will get locked out of Tony nominations as well (unless Soo somehow manages to be its single showing). 

Amelie along with A Bronx Tale & Charlie and the Chocolate Facfory... I predict no Tony nominations!

I forgot about Nick Cordero - ABT and he should be nominated in Featured Actor Musical and probably the only nod.

"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phantom4ever
#754Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 5/1/17 at 10:26pm

This article from Time Out New York totally tricked me.  I seriously thought these were the real Tony noms since I forgot Time Out New York calls itself TONY smh. I actually spent the better part of the day wondering why this wasn't being covered on BWW.  Incidentally, I was excited that Cornelius and Barnaby got "Tony" nominations.  Oh well.  

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/the-2017-tony-nominations-050117

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#755Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 5/1/17 at 10:32pm

Phantom4ever said: "This article from Time Out New York totally tricked me.  I seriously thought these were the real Tony noms since I forgot Time Out New York calls itself TONY smh. I actually spent the better part of the day wondering why this wasn't being covered on BWW.  Incidentally, I was excited that Cornelius and Barnaby got "Tony" nominations.  Oh well.  

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/the-2017-tony-nominations-050117

"

Some of those choices were...... inspired?

Videos