News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ForB4

Member Name: ForB4
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SIX - Preview Thread
 Sep 17 2021, 12:31:11 PM

dramamama611 said: "ForB4 said: "You do know it's been awhile for them yes? Anyway I thought that was great! Can't wait to hear the reports tonight"

They've BEEN in rehearsals for several weeks.

And that being said, it is a pretty small performance space. I found that the ends of LOTS of their words were dropped though, and often mumbly.
"

as we all know, rehearsals are very similar to first performances

SIX - Preview Thread
 Sep 17 2021, 11:43:44 AM

You do know it's been awhile for them yes? Anyway I thought that was great! Can't wait to hear the reports tonight

SIX - Preview Thread
 May 6 2021, 09:10:24 AM

Six is back Sept 17th!

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/six-announces-broadway-return-date_92173.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=06may2021

FROZEN closes on Broadway
 May 14 2020, 04:16:56 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/theater/frozen-broadway-closing-virus.html?smid=tw-share

SIX - Preview Thread
 Feb 27 2020, 02:29:41 PM

JSquared2 said: "VotePeron said: " Very happy to hear Abby is taking time out of the show to recover, instead of “pushing through” like she did on Sunday night. Would’ve given anything to see an understudy perform the role as intended instead of Heart of Stone being whispered."

Recover? The poor thing has to do what -- sing one song in a 75-minute show? Must be so exhausting!!
"

You definitely haven’t seen the show

SIX - Preview ThreadI was
 Feb 14 2020, 08:50:39 PM

Scarlet Leigh said: "Dolly80 said: "None of them will win a Tony individually- there isn’t enough to the ‘roles’. The only way they could win is if they are collectively nominated, which I don’t think is possible."

Win a Tony individually, naw. BUT do we think that anyone could be NOMINATED for featured over the others? Does anyone impress just a TOUCH more that they could take a spot or do they all just cancel one another out?

SIX - Preview Thread
 Feb 13 2020, 10:02:46 PM

starcatchers said: "I’m not sure if this is in the original production but the “costume reveal” during Get Down had the entire audience gaggiiiiinnnngggg in excitement."

That was brand new and I D I E D. So good.
"

Can you guys put it ina spoiler box? I want to know!

Despite Turnaround, ‘Beetlejuice’ Being Forced Out of Theater
 Dec 9 2019, 05:06:12 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/theater/beetlejuice-broadway-evicted.html

Last performance at the WG June 6th, hoping to find a new theater

Tina Landau says she's working on a revival of FLOYD COLLINS
 Dec 8 2019, 02:27:02 PM
https://twitter.com/TinaLandau/status/1203401455840976898

Excited for this! Never seen a production but been in love with the cast recording for years.

Dave Malloy's Moby Dick at A.R.T.
 Dec 4 2019, 08:41:14 AM
Here's the main thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/e5qij2/first_preview_of_moby_dick_ill_gladly_answer_any/

Here's a review by /u/MedusasHairGel but I would recommend checking out the the whole thread

In any case and in no order:

- It was a challenging and daring piece of theater. I did not see Great Comet so I can’t compare, but it’s a massive departure from Hadestown and I caught very little overlap in Rachel’s direction from that show to this one besides some powerful lighting and staging.

- Dave Malloy is a mad genius. He’s clearly a brilliant songwriter and there is plenty of ear candy stylistically that there’s an incredible show in here. I thought the first two acts had the highlights musically and the ballads dragged a bit (especially in the latter acts 3 and 4)

- For me the company numbers were better than the solos, apart from a few highlights in Part 1.

- Ishmael was a brilliantly written character and wonderfully performed.

- Ahab did very little for me. The script didn’t really do much to suggest more than one-dimensionality for his character when he deserved an arc given the seriousness of his character as a foil.

- There are too many side characters and they get lost. Queequeg has a brilliant intro and then fizzles. Same with the mystic Parsi harpoonist. I imagine Malloy couldn’t help himself in his writing but it felt like he threw a lot of stuff out to see what would stick.

- I understand why Part 3 exists, but I’m not sure if they needed 45 minutes to tell it or if that plot line could be condensed to a song and a reprise and a few lines in the script.

- The show is overtly political at points and at times it adds to the dimensionality of the show and sometimes it detracts.

- On that note, perhaps Moby Dick as a books best quality is that it’s a multi-dimensional allegory. By that I mean, it is a story about whaling within a story about nature/environmentalism within a story about how man relates to religion/god within a story about man and his mind. Dave Malloy writes that dimensionality into the script but it brings it right to 2019 and the show becomes a very meta critique of itself — venturing almost into the territory of commenting on the nature of life itself. The metaphors are palpable to be sure, but the writing isn’t tight. Yet.

- On that note, the plot is lacking threads tied nicely or pulled throughout. It jumps. A lot. All the pieces are there but it needs some major editing. My guess is from open to close we’ll see a lot of editing, particularly in parts 3 and 4. I thought Part 4 was the weakest writing when in many ways it needed to be the strongest.

- Broadway level voices in the show and great melodic lines. Nothing memorable that stuck out at first listen but in time maybe they could reestablish some themes in a reprise? Does Malloy even write reprises?! In any case, the sound design was disappointing as mics often came in late. Hopefully they fix that in a couple shows.

- Overall its a show in progress to be sure, but with tons of raw ingredients ready to be worked and polished. I watched Rachel at times and she looked pleased in the first half but the seconds darkness did a lot of the audience in and she seemed to take note of that.

Should you go? I think if you like seeing theater as it’s in progress, like hearing broadway level talent, and get a kick out of seeing something before it gets huge then this is a great ticket! That being said, it’s far from polished and will go through a lot of iterations before it reaches Broadway. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t, but, I can’t think of anything on Broadway that is, at times, difficult to digest.

THE WHO'S TOMMY Will Return to Broadway in 2021
 Oct 21 2019, 03:16:12 PM
https://www.broadway.com/buzz/197322/the-whos-tommy-will-return-to-broadway-in-2021/
Should Six Transfer?
 May 14 2019, 10:48:55 PM

curel1 said: "Videos of the megasix!

https://twitter.com/sixcago/status/1128484843552219136

https://twitter.com/bwayruffalo/status/1128485856120066053
"

Ahh, Love it!!! Boleyn and Cleves are tiny lol

SCHOOL OF ROCK closing January 20
 Jul 17 2018, 12:34:49 PM

Moulin Rouge in the Winter Garden?

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS closing Sept.16
 Jul 8 2018, 10:05:50 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/theater/spongebob-squarepants-broadway-musical-closing.html

:/

Neil Patrick Harris and Rachel Bloom
 Jun 11 2018, 04:48:37 PM

gypsy101 said: "I am almost certain that that entire exchange of theirs on Twitter is a joke, considering the fact that her husband worked on how I met your mother for five seasons"

No it's not. She liked a tweet that said:

"You're a talented goddess and your unbridled, unfiltered enthusiasm is my favorite part of the Tonys. f**k that misogynistic, gender-coded dismissive bull****ter-y. You shine."

Neil Patrick Harris and Rachel Bloom
 Jun 11 2018, 04:36:07 PM

NPH was being really douchey on twitter throughout the night but this one especially made me mad.

Obviously it's hard to remember everyone you meet but it was completely unnecessary for him to tweet about it like that. And the stuff about her saying "like" and "oh my god" a lot? Just ughhh.

National Theater (D.C.) 2018/2019 season?
 Apr 19 2018, 11:29:34 AM

thommg said: "I think the one pre-Broadway show was Beetlejuice. Nothing else has been announced yet.

"

Sorry, I knew about that. I meant when is the season being announced? It seems really late

National Theater (D.C.) 2018/2019 season?
 Apr 19 2018, 10:18:05 AM

When is this being announced??

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
 Nov 6 2017, 07:01:14 AM

Saw this comment on reddit

"Word from a friend of a friend who knows the Director/Choreographer (Casey Nicolaw) a they spent the weekend revising the music top to bottom. "Next week you're going to see a completely different show."

May be hyperbole; certainly I've heard similar things said of changes subtle enough that most audiences never notice them consciously. We'll see what they really change."

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
 Nov 1 2017, 09:13:33 PM

theatretenor2 said: "ForB4 said: "There's already some audios on tumblr btw"

How do I find these?
"

Search up the blog theaterstuff1

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You