News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ricky Martin Will Be In "Evita"- Page 4

Ricky Martin Will Be In "Evita"

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#75Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/14/10 at 5:56pm

They can fight over someone's opinion of whether she can sing the role 6 or 8 times a week. Realistically the producers wouldn't jeopardize the production by casting someone in the lead who couldn't handle the role. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm speaking only for myself. I saw the woman twice in London and she was great in the part. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I'm not here to try to convert anyone but some of the assumptions and accusations being made about her and her abilities are borderline ridiculous and are being made just because they wanted to see someone else in the part.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#76Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/14/10 at 6:05pm

StageManager, my comment was tongue-in-cheek, obviously. I just think that it's ridiculous people can accept without question the dramatic artistic license taken with Che Guevara, but refuse to consider an actress with a slightly tanner skintone.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#77Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/15/10 at 8:59am

Oh, okay. Then I'd like the panel to disregard that "dumb" comment. Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'

So would hiring Olivo be considered a case of colorblind casting?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#78Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/15/10 at 9:30am

Ricky Martin would get me in the seat faster then Elena Rogers would... (and i love my divas)

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Gothampc
#79Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/15/10 at 1:42pm

Ricky Martin? If they wanted poor casting, why didn't they cast Betty White as Che? I hope they aren't toning the production down like they did the movie. Che is the anti-hero of the piece. He needs to be tough. We don't want a metrosexual Che like Banderas played.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#80Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/15/10 at 8:57pm

So would hiring Olivo be considered a case of colorblind casting?

I guess some people would feel that way.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

rmusic11322
#81Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:09pm

Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'

I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread and all of the talk about casting. Also, I never saw the show live since I was born around when the movie was made. So please excuse my dumbness when I say, "What if they cast Julia Murney as Eva Peron?"
Seth Rudetsky's Broadway 101: Evita Quick Change

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#82Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 12:31am

I saw Julia Murney in that particular production at Sacramento Music Circus. She was quite good, but it sounded like the score was harder on her voice than I'd have expected (I'm a fan, but I've only seen her in Lennon). I wouldn't be surprised if her performance were as polarizing as Elena Roger's.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#83Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 12:59am

Lizzie, I don't think that Julia is exotic enough for the role of Eva Peron. Exotic, exotic, exotic, LOL!!! =) Just kidding.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Gothampc
#84Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 3/19/10 at 8:48am

There was a story around the time of the OBC (don't know if it was true or legend) that said that during the first dress rehearsal, Evita's "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" dress was too big to fit through the door. Can't you see Patti LuPone stuck in the doorway yelling "Stop taking pictures!" Hopefully this time around they won't make that mistake.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Burgos1969 Profile Photo
Burgos1969
#85Ricky Martin Will Be In 'Evita'
Posted: 6/29/10 at 3:13am

Ricky Martin's casting will most likely draw big audiences, especially latino ones. Like someone else mentioned, he hasn't had a radio hit at mainstream pop radio in over a decade, but he has consistently released hit after hit on US latin radio stations, and his Spanish-language albums have always landed on Billboard's Latin Albums charts. And now, after his coming out, I'm sure a lot of gay men and curious people of all persuasions will likely attend...

Videos