Going to shows alone

broadwayfever
#75Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:00pm

I've seen over 60 different musicals/plays in the past 6 years. I've seen about half with others and half by myself.

I prefer going by myself for the following reasons:

-I get better seats due to the many single tickets available in the orchestra
-I don't have to deal with the small chat
-I don't have to deal with having to explain something or repeat something they missed
-I don't have to hold back on any of my emotions and reactions
-I'm able to concentrate more on the show instead of my guest(s)

*What I have found that works the best if I do go with someone (family member, friend, etc), is to buy separate single tickets and actually NOT sit next to each other. This allows them to get the full the experience and not have to deal with those same things I mentoned above. Prior to the show, I usually meet up with them for dinner or for some drinks and head to the show together. Then during intermision you meet up to discuss the 1st Act and do the same after the show.

theminutepast
#76Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:18pm

Speaking of going alone, is anyone else going solo to see Frances Ruffelle at 54 Below next month? I don't mind going alone, but somehow going to a nightclub alone feels much weirder.

wonkit
#77Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:21pm

Good point about the availability of single seats. I usually end up with a house seat or first row mezzanine - both ideal in almost any house.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#78Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:34pm

I'm single (not by choice) and always go alone to see a show. from RC in Austin, Texas (in NYC from June 7-10, 2013 and seeing: Chicago, Pippin, Vanya-Sonia-Masha and Spike, The Nance).

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#79Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:31pm

I usually go alone as well, and agree with the comment about getting better seats. It's very rare that I can't get in the first 5 rows....which I know is not for everyone but I love it.

Brian07663NJ
#80Going to shows alone
Posted: 4/26/13 at 3:27pm

based upon the behavior of fellow audience members lately - I can think of nothing more exciting than a "Daddy Warbucks" performance of being the only audience member. No one showing up late, no one grazing, no one singing along off key while thinking they know the lyrics...

hahhaa
seriously - I'd rather go alone than go with someone who is miserable and not interested in being at the performance

Videos