pixeltracker

Oddest things you’ve heard from non theatre people- Page 4

Oddest things you’ve heard from non theatre people

youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#75Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/20/18 at 9:23am

I was walking past the Lunt-Fontanne yesterday and a woman walked by and said to herself, "Wow, Donna Summer is doing Broadway now?"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#76Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:11pm

1.  Well, she sort of is,,,it's her music and story.

2.  And, perhaps, she assumed it was more like what Springsteen is doing.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LxGstv
#77Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:25pm

dianamorales said: "Another one is someone saying “I just saw a show ONBroadway!”and me saying, “You went to New York? Oh, how was it?” And they say “Oh no, I didn’t go to New York!! I saw it at the Fox in Atlanta!” And I’m like okay yes you saw a broadway show but you saw a national tour girl! Not on Broadway! I know it’s sounds so stupid and pretentious but it occurs so often!

This just might be my biggest pet peeve! I ALWAYS have friends that tell me they're going to see or saw a broadway show, when they actually saw it on tour.

"

Kinda similar when I see people on Facebook going to off broadway shows and posting that they are at a broadway show... erm, no, trainspotting live isn’t broadway.

As for the cast recording/soundtrack, yes, there’s a difference, but if you are involved in a conversation about a show or something, it’s kind of an easy mistake to make... everyone knows what you mean though...

smidge
#78Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:36pm

dramamama611 said: "1. Well, she sort of is,,,it's her music and story.

2. And, perhaps, she assumed it was more like what Springsteen is doing.

And, 3, assumed Donna was still alive

"

DeNada
#79Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:44pm

SweetLips22 said: "Not quite the same thing, but....was in London for a very short visit and desperate to see Elaine Paige in Aspects of Love only to be told she was out for a time doing something else."

Elaine Paige has never been in Aspects of Love; not in its original London run, not in the Trevor Nunn small scale revival a few years back, not on tour, not ever.  It would have been impressive if you'd managed to see her!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#80Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/20/18 at 1:19pm

smidge said: "dramamama611 said: "1. Well, she sort of is,,,it's her music and story.

2. And, perhaps, she assumed it was more like what Springsteen is doing.

And, 3, assumed Donna was still alive
"

"

Oh, $hit! I totally forgot she had passed! See? Its not that hard to make a faux pas!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#81Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/29/18 at 12:32am

I recently met up with cousin and she told me she always ends up falling asleep at musicals. Anywho, she told me and I quote, “I fell asleep at the beginning of Act 1 of Les Mis and I woke up to that giant helicopter in Act 2.”

Tateh Profile Photo
Tateh
#82Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/29/18 at 6:58am

At A chorus line finale:

So finally they were all cast!!!! 

brendasugarbaker
#83Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/30/18 at 2:03pm

During intermission at the non-Equity tour of The Addams Family, overheard a young man telling his family that the cast we were seeing was the original Broadway cast, all while looking at their bios in his program. 

springwillcome Profile Photo
springwillcome
#84Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/30/18 at 2:33pm

I've heard plenty of hot takes from non theater people, but then sometimes I remember some of my OWN before I knew more about theater, and they're so much worse, so I'll embarrass myself instead:

1). When I saw Wicked on a high school field trip, I found out our seats were in the orchestra. I assumed this meant we were sitting WITH the pit - in my defense, I was going with our school's concert band, but how I had never heard of "orchestra seating" before freshmen year astounds me.

2). I will never stop being mad at myself for missing Sunday in the Park with George - I never looked into it or even considered going because I had read a short story back in middle school titled "Sunday in the Park", which I didn't like at all, and assumed the production was a play based on it, as I mis-remembered a character named George being in the story. 

kelsey1389 Profile Photo
kelsey1389
#85Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people
Posted: 7/30/18 at 2:44pm

Not necessarily odd, just stupid. Talking with a friend who saw Wicked in 2011. I ask who her who was in the show, and she answers Idina. I say, Idina was not in Wicked in 2011, so you saw someone else. I start rattling off names of possibilities, and she goes "but she looked so much like Idina.... I don't get it"

Like no crap she looks like Idina from a distance!!! She's painted green and wearing a black wig! Hell, I'd probably look kind of like Idina from a distance if I was dressed like that.

Videos