pixeltracker

best12bars "offended" by PRODUCERS movie...- Page 4

best12bars "offended" by PRODUCERS movie...

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#75It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 3:43pm

"Clearly cut because it was a musical theatre joke that doesn't translate on film."

RIGHT touchmeinthemorning. I'm sure they also cut the stuff about Franz living "off-Broadway. I hate off-Broadway" for the same reason. Many theater go-ers wouldn't "get" the reference to "mimes, experimental theater" etc.

That said, I really can understand why best12bars feels as he does, but in this case, I don't think it was done for anything having to do with being PC. I could be wrong, but it's Mel Brooks, who seems to be an equal opportunity offender!

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#76It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 3:48pm

Woa woa woa! How come the moment some factual evidence appears on this board you all become so hostile? Mr. Kelly was kind enough to share his experience and he gets jumped upon? He's correct, all we've been doing is assuming and judging. Yet once he comes on with inside information he's told he's being too defensive and hostile? Yikes. We all need to relax.

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

ghostlight2
#77It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:04pm

"This is a place for gossip and speculation, and little else of worth....whatever. You go, girl". - leefowler

"Everything I write about this subject is fact. Everything you write is speculation". - leefowler

The above quotes were what made me cry "hostile". Had nothing to do with his factual evidence. No one's really attacked him, it just seems he's angry that people haven't immediately jumped on his word as gospel, and lashing out at others as a result..

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#78It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:13pm

"Everything I write about this subject is fact. Everything you write is speculation". - leefowler

But it's also the truth. That's what I'm saying.

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

ghostlight2
#79It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:19pm

Fair enough. But while it may be the truth, it is phrased in an emphatically unpleasant manner.

And your explaination for his other quote, so clearly pejorative? Read the thread - no one's attacked or even tried to discredit him.

leefowler
#80It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:32pm

Sorry, if I seem hostile...rereading the post, it does indeed seem that way. I'm actually quite nice over a bottle of wine.

But trust me, the endless speculation about making the Producers movie more "PC" is completely untrue. There were tremedous problems involved getting the movie down to a reasonable length. This is the reason Andrea Martin and Debra Monk ended up getting their bits cut out. Bottom line, the DVD will have a crazy amount of "extras".
And again, sorry about seeming hostile. I'm on vacation in Barcelona, and I'm a litle jet-lagged.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

ghostlight2
#81It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:44pm

I actually do understand your frustration, lee. You know the truth, but either can't tell it or no one believes it. Been there.

I'm sure you're quite nice, even sans the bottle of wine.

Hope your Barcelona trip is lovely once you're over your jet-lag It is interesting As for me, off to work. Have a glass for me.

eta: no harm, no fowl.....okay, sorry about that.

Updated On: 12/30/05 at 04:44 PM

LorelaiGilmore Profile Photo
LorelaiGilmore
#82It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:55pm

off topic, but the last time i saw the show was a while ago, and i can't seem to remember the black irish joke, could someone please remind me of what it was

oy with the poodles already!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#83It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 5:06pm

Have fun in Barcelona, leefowler. I'm not discrediting you or your association with the project in the least here. But ultimately I was still offended by the editorial choices made in the film, regardless of the first-person account as to why… I do find it “selective,” and that's an opinion, not a fact. But I wasn't personally offended by anything you've said. At least I didn't take your posts as personal attacks on me.

I haven't gone too far on this message board on what I currently do professionally. I do work with all the major movie studios in town, and it's in the field of Home Entertainment. My perspective comes from my own creative work history of seeing elements cut or changed for "politically correct" reasons. Sometimes it's at the suggestion of “talent,” and sometimes it's a studio decree. This isn't a reflection of your work, Mel's, Tom's or Stroman's. Things "get cut" and many times for the wrong reasons. I've seen it happen, time and again, with my own eyes.

I will be very curious to see if these two originally filmed “stereotypical black jokes” end up as extras on the DVD. I would honestly be surprised if they turn up at all, but it would put my mind a little more at ease that no "selective favoritism" or double-standard was being utilized if they do.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ghostlight2
#84It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 5:19pm

Good point, best12, about the dvd extras. I think that could make a difference in your theory.

LG. The scene: Max has just been arrested in his office.

Head officer, to black cop, referring to Max: "Officer O'Houllihan, take this mug in!"

O'Houllian, to Max, in a broad Irish accent: "You're a very lucky man, Mr Bialystock. They're serving corned beef and cabbage down to the jailhouse, just like me mither used ta make in dear ol' Kilhearney" *Broad smile*

Max, to audience: "I've heard of black Irish before, but this is ridiculous!" *Exit, stage right*
Updated On: 12/30/05 at 05:19 PM

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#85It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 5:55pm

"But trust me, the endless speculation about making the Producers movie more "PC" is completely untrue. There were tremedous problems involved getting the movie down to a reasonable length. This is the reason Andrea Martin and Debra Monk ended up getting their bits cut out. Bottom line, the DVD will have a crazy amount of "extras"."

I LOVE the film (despite the cuts) and the prospect of great "extras" makes me even more anxious for the DVD. Thank you for the "scoop" Mr. Kelly--and have a great trip! It is interesting

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

loridunn Profile Photo
loridunn
#86It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 6:05pm

I did not enjoy the film as much as I hoped I would. I was not as offended as best12bars, but I wasn't overjoyed. I found myself bored at points and was expecting more. Everyone always discusses Mel Brooks as someone who isn't PC but I didn't see many big shockers. SO I guess I'd side with 12bars because I was underwhelmed.

"First and foremost I want to thank God, because there is no way that somebody with my name from South St. Louis ends up at Radio City Music Hall holding one of these without some divine intervention" -- Norbert Leo Butz (Tony Speech)

LorelaiGilmore
#87It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 11:22pm

thanks ghostlight2, it's all coming back to me now

LorelaiGilmore
#88It is interesting
Posted: 12/30/05 at 11:23pm

oops double post