pixeltracker

Who was the best Cassie?- Page 4

Who was the best Cassie?

#75re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 8/28/06 at 11:39am

could you mean Shanna Reed (?) who played both Cassie and Sheila in the late 1970s, early 80s. She latter starred with Deborah Geffner and Gwen Verdon in a tv Rockettes movie called Legs, produced by her then boyfriend Gregory Harrison.

Incidentally, if Donna's acting appears weak in the Public Theater video, most of the original cast members are embarrassed that this is the only complete record -- it was taped early in the public run -- Cassie's mirrors had to be wheeled on. As far as her terror in the opening number, it is very clear on my tape of the 1976 Tony Awards -- you do feel she thinks she will be stopped at any second. Bennett himself called all the camera shots.

Laurie Gamache was a wonderful Cassie, suggested by Donna herself to take over the role when she left the Broadway production. THe song was in the wrong key, but the looks she threw Zach during the number were chilling and heartbreaking -- a wonderful dancing actress.

gcal
#76re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 8/28/06 at 1:55pm

I saw D'Amboise the week before and the week after that clip. Her acting- her passion- has only gotten better since then. I love when she hesistates before taking center stage just before Music and the Mirror.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#77re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 8/28/06 at 11:42pm

My drama teacher in high school says she was Cassie in a nat'l tour of ACL and that she has a six month contract. It would have been in the early 80s. Her name was Shannon McNutt but there was already a Shannon McNutt in the union so she had to change her name. But she won't tell me her stage name. I figured she kept her first name, put perhaps she didn't. She knows all the original choreography still, I have no doubt she played the part. We have been great friends since I graduated 3 years ago, and I know she wouldn't lie to me. She won't say much about her past as an actress and I was just trying to see if anyone knew anything about a Shannon as Cassie in the early 80s.

Sorry to clog up the thread with this nonsense. Just wondering. :)

#78re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/1/06 at 4:37pm

She's obviously lying.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#79re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/1/06 at 5:26pm

"But she won't tell me her stage name."

Maybe she got really bad reviews?

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#80re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/1/06 at 5:30pm

Who knows lol

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#81re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/1/06 at 5:31pm

"...listening to the audio on that "Voldemort" site that shall remain nameless...Charlotte's singing and especially her vocal "acting" are... not impressive."

Hopefully this clip is BEFORE they lowered the key? She's a little too shrill for my taste. And then there's that weird way she pronounces "through" (Give me the chance to come through).

hellzapoppin2000 Profile Photo
hellzapoppin2000
#82re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 12:50pm

There is only one Cassie. All others are weak by comparison.

#83re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 5:16pm

Vicki Frederick. Just gorgeous and totally vulnerable.

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#84re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/4/06 at 8:14am

Wanda Richert - just the best of all. Why - she touched my heart and I believed it hurt her to be at that audition. And she danced like the devil.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

#85re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/18/06 at 11:18am

Wanda Richert. She was simply fantastic as Cassie before she became Champion's mistress. Later when she returned after Nine, she had even more resonance in her performance. Hard to believe she disappeared from view -- a gorgeous dancer and very moving actress; I guess walking with the lord fulfills her more than we can ever know. Bless you Wanda.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#86re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 9/28/06 at 2:09pm

When I was about 13, I did a show with a woman who was in the original company of 42ND STREET, and she told me tons of juicy Wanda stories. I really wish I could remember even ONE of them.

So what ever happened to her? Why is she completely off the radar?

Am I correct in recalling that she had (has) health problems?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Producer/Artist/Arts Lover
#87re: Who was the best Cassie?
Posted: 10/2/23 at 4:24pm

Did you ever see Catherine Cooper as Cassie either on tour or on B’way where she was a Cassie/Sheila/Val understudy? 

Videos