THE VISIT Reviews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#100THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/3/15 at 7:43pm

Wow, awesome article! And Madonna saw The Visit??

Brian07663NJ
#101THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 8:38am

Saw The Visit on Sunday, May 3 at 3pm...I am already a fan of the show having seen it years ago at the Signature and last summer at Williamstown. I was sad to see how empty the house was. I had a front row mezz ticket and the 9 seats to my left were completely empty for the duration of the performance. All the rows behind it were empty too.

I knew this was going to be a tough sell but the show is still new! Afraid they need to leave the car running outside because this is going to be a short Visit. Hopefully if it plays well on the Tony broadcast and it wins an award or two possibly more interest will stir?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#102THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 6:37pm

Unless the show wins Best Musical or there is a box office heavyweight replacement I don't think the show has much longevity, which is disappointing THE VISIT Reviews . It really seems like they have done everything 'right' with producing this show, but I guess sometimes shows don't appeal to the mass audience. I assume everyone involved will still be proud of this achievement. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jish
#103THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 6:42pm

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered but I searched quite a bit and couldn't find it.

The furthest forward in the Orchestra that Telecharge is selling is row "A" but some people have said that it is listed as the "second row".

I haven't seen any confirmation from people who have seen the show. Can anybody confirm what is the front row of the orchestra? Is there a AA or just A?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#104THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/4/15 at 6:53pm

Row A is 100% the front row. I sat there twice.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#105THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 2:07pm

I still frequently return to this show, and was reading some of the snippets in COLORED LIGHTS about this. I didn't realise but after Angela Lansbury fell through, Chita wasn't actually the first idea for a replacement. It also gives some insight into what it takes to cast stars and the amount of names that might be shopped around:

* With Lansbury attached the show was fully funded and had a path straight to Broadway. 

* When Lansbury dropped out due to the health of her husband, they tried to get other 'names'

- Glenn Close, who turned them down

- Shirley MacLaine, who briefly showed interest but then dropped out due to a (genuine) scheduling conflict

- Judi Dench (no word on what happened)

* Finally, Chita was sought and from John Kander's perspective he is completely satisfied with the choice artistically. In fact, in the discussion if I recall he mentioned that he only thinks three people could have really done an amazing job in this role * Angela Lansbury * Chita and, *Judi Dench (the implication is that the others were sought for their marquee value).

I had never even thought about it, but Judi Dench in a London production would be something. Can someone convince her to do it in London? (I'm sure she has already been asked and it would have happened if she was interested)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 5/7/19 at 02:07 PM

Erzlump
#106THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 5:49pm

qolbinau said: "I still frequently return to this show, and was reading some of the snippets in COLORED LIGHTS about this. I didn't realise but after Angela Lansbury fell through, Chita wasn't actually the first idea for a replacement. It also gives some insight into what it takes to cast stars and the amount of names that might be shopped around:

* With Lansbury attached the show was fully funded and had a path straight to Broadway.

* When Lansbury dropped out due to the health of her husband, they tried to get other 'names'

- Glenn Close, who turned them down

- Shirley MacLaine, who briefly showed interest but then dropped out due to a (genuine) scheduling conflict

- Judi Dench (no word on what happened)

* Finally, Chita was sought and from John Kander's perspective he is completely satisfied with the choice artistically. In fact, in the discussion if I recall he mentioned that he only thinks three people could have really done an amazing job in this role * Angela Lansbury * Chita and, *Judi Dench (the implication is that the others were sought for their marquee value).

I had never even thought about it, but Judi Dench in a London production would be something. Can someone convince her to do it in London? (I'm sure she has already been asked and it would have happened if she was interested)
"

Thank you for the insight - it's really interesting to read this. I really need to get a hold of Colored Lights. I, too, frequently return to this show. The source material is one of my favourite plays by one of my favourite playwrights. I did not see the The Visit live sadly, but in whatever I could find of it Chita Rivera did a phenomenal job with the role. I'd have loved to see Lansbury tackle this complex and dark character as well. Judi Dench, though still a force to be reckoned with... I don't know if she could do this part now, even with "One Legged Tango" no longer in the show. The role is inherently very physical after all. I could, however, still imagine Glenn do it (although it might just be more of the same, Glenn has done a lot of roles that have a similar vibe). 

One reviewer, I can't remember the name, said how wonderful this show will be as a vehicle for all the current Broadway stars down the line (Patti, Audra, etc.) - and it gives me hope that someone will take another look at this show in the future. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#107THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 7:10pm

I would love to see Patti in it if it were ever revived. I am sure her "WINTER" world be worth the price of admission.

I think I mentioned here that the evening I saw it, I ended up walking out of the theater and chatting with Donna Mckechnie. She was in to see it in preparation for doing the show. Really wish we had the chance to see her do it.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/7/19 at 07:10 PM

Alessio2
#108THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/7/19 at 8:46pm

I am so happy I had to chance to see this on my annual April theater trip.  I loved it and the score is so beautiful.  It's the kind of show I would have seen several times if I lived in NY to sear it into my memory.

Erzlump
#109THE VISIT Reviews
Posted: 5/8/19 at 4:15am

Side note - does someone know if the complete book and lyrics is available somewhere? I'd love to put it on my list of translation projects.

Videos