WAITRESS Reviews

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#100WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/8/16 at 7:42am

Yeah I can't provide a concrete link/source but from everything I have gleaned I think Laura was like my involved in an early and informal reading. 

Laura is wonderful but I could never imagine her in this role. Jessie has really embodied it and to me is the perfect casting. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

notsovirginmary Profile Photo
notsovirginmary
#101WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/9/16 at 12:44pm

Benanti was involved in a single reading in April of 2014. There wasn't ever an expectation or plan that she would continue with the show beyond that. 

"A wonky eye, you've got my friend."

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#102WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/10/16 at 10:04am

Jessie did the last Lab of this before it went into ART (had a friend who did it with her). I just saw this show at the Wednesday Matinee, standing. Although it isn't a mind-blowing story or game changing musical I would still give it two thumbs up for the performances. I disagree with people (or maybe it was just that one WSJ critic) who said that Sara B has no concept when it comes to writing for the stage. The score felt like a breath of fresh air to me and I think some of the songs are absolute knockouts (When He Sees Me is such a delight - especially on the cast album). I also saw Keatle Settle's understudy (Charity Angel Dawson) perform and she was SO good. And on that note, I feel like all the understudies I've seen recently have been amazing in their respective shows. I think it's a shame this won't win any Tony awards because it definitely has a worthy enough score for my money - and also Kimiko Glenn was snubbed for a nomination! 

There are some cool directorial elements with the cast when Jenna opens up with narratives to the audience, though I wish they were a bit tighter performed. I also though that the band having coffee cups when scenes took place at the diner were a little unnecessary, too tongue and cheek - we obviously see the band is on stage the whole time and it almost made it more distracting to me seeing them there. I wish we knew more specifically why Drew Gehling's character went ahead to cheat on his wife so fast. Yes Jessie's character is lovely and likable but it didn't seem like enough for me to buy that he would just drop everything so fast.

I have to admit I was bummed that Jenna doesn't make it up to the pie competition, it would have been nice to see the story go there. The advertising for this show while I think is appropriate and lovely didn't quite prepare me for how heavy this show gets at times, which is of course okay I was just not prepared for that. One thing that is not show related but what I couldn't help but notice from seeing this show standing room is how LATE some of the audience arrives to the show, and how late people return to their seats post intermission. Perhaps it was just because it was the matinee, but God that was so annoying and can only imagine how distracting that is for the actors on stage. Because this show is such a hit I wouldn't put it past house management and the creative team to have a talk about people not being invited in if not seated when the show begins post intermission. 

That's all I've got for now, curious to see more reviews come in :)

KathyNYC2
#103WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/10/16 at 12:53pm

I've been at that theater a number of times for Waitress - and I think the majority of the late arrivals were due to the horrible weather and the huge cloudburst of rain that occurred right before the show started and the horrible traffic that resulted. There are always a few latecomers but I agree, on Wednesday it was a LOT and way more than usual. I can't speak about intermission...other than to say it's a lot of people in a smallish theater with smallish restrooms..

I also saw Charity Angel in the part of Becky. The only problem for me was that she usually portrays the nurse at the doctor's office and I really missed her in that part. But she did a great job at her first (I think) portrayal of Becky.

mailhandler777
#104WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/10/16 at 2:53pm

KathyNYC2 said: "I also saw Charity Angel in the part of Becky. The only problem for me was that she usually portrays the nurse at the doctor's office and I really missed her in that part. But she did a great job at her first (I think) portrayal of Becky."

She played Becky for 5 shows(I believe it was 5) at A.R.T. I saw her there and she was fantastic. Ragan Pharris was on as Nurse Norma there. Ragan was in the ensemble at A.R.T. and not a swing as she is here. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

KathyNYC2
#105WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/10/16 at 3:08pm

mailhandler777 said: "KathyNYC2 said: "I also saw Charity Angel in the part of Becky. The only problem for me was that she usually portrays the nurse at the doctor's office and I really missed her in that part. But she did a great job at her first (I think) portrayal of Becky."

She played Becky for 5 shows(I believe it was 5) at A.R.T. I saw her there and she was fantastic. Ragan Pharris was on as Nurse Norma there. Ragan was in the ensemble at A.R.T. and not a swing as she is here. 

"

Yes she IS fantastic. I should have been clearer..I did mean that I thought this was her first time playing Broadway ON Broadway but thanks for the extra info about her doing the role at A.R.T.  And Ragan was fine as the nurse...just not Charity Angel - who has the part down pat!

Updated On: 6/11/16 at 03:08 PM

smidge
#106WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/10/16 at 11:22pm

Keala was out Wednesday afternoon?  I didn't even realize. There was no understudy slip in the Playbill. And I was in the last row of the mezzanine. Was it on the lobby board? Regardless,  Charity was terrific. 

KathyNYC2
#107WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/11/16 at 11:50am

There were actually two inserts in each playbill on wed. One with the understudies and one glossy waitress info page. Not sure why your own playbill  was missing one. 

KathyNYC2
#108WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/11/16 at 11:50am

There were actually two inserts in each playbill on wed. One with the understudies and one glossy waitress info page. Not sure why your own playbill  was missing one. 

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#109WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 6/22/16 at 12:19am

Saw the show tonight and LOVED it.  From everything I had read I was expecting great things from Jessie and not so much from rest of cast. Well Jessie Mueller is just the bomb. What an amazing performance.  I cried all the way through She Used to be Mine.  But everyone else was wonderful too!  Christopher Fitzgerald!!!  Hahaha... Amazing. Over the top.  Great show.  

Sidenote:  

I was sitting beside a woman with her 10 year old daughter. I was cringing for her through some awkward moments. I don't think I'd bring pre-teens to this one.  Laughter aside - it's difficult subject matter. But to each his/her own. 

broadwayboy223
#110WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 7/2/16 at 1:10am

notsovirginmary said: "Benanti was involved in a single reading in April of 2014. There wasn't ever an expectation or plan that she would continue with the show beyond that. 

"

Did you see the reading? I'm just curious to know how Laura was in the role. Feel free to PM me if your not comfortable with talking about it here.

Updated On: 7/2/16 at 01:10 AM

Videos