pixeltracker

The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?- Page 5

The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?

MirrorBride Profile Photo
MirrorBride
#100re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 3:41pm

Personally, I think The Little Mermaid is a more famous name. The Addams family isn't as famous in younger generations as Mermaid is. Parents won't take their kids to Addams as they did to Mermaid. Kids simply won't be interested in it. Mermaid is a family show, something for kids and adults to enjoy.

I don't think it would necessarily be the name that sells. The casting, maybe. Though not everyone knows Broadway names. The majority of people don't. TLM is a Disney name and Disney is extremely well known.

Sierra Boggess, Sherie Rene Scott, Titus Burgess, and Sean Palmer were all great choices for casting for TLM (as were anyone else not mentioned by me). Sierra was simply wonderful in that role and truely brought Ariel to life for many people. Sean Palmer gave Eric a personality for some people. I think it was a great OBC cast to start off with.

"This one really spoke to me. She's a strong woman, that's why I think people relate to her and the story." -Sierra Boggess talking about her role as OBC Ariel

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#101re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 3:43pm

And how do you know The Addams Family will not be a family show?

MirrorBride
#102re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 3:44pm

It would most likely be far too scary for children.

"This one really spoke to me. She's a strong woman, that's why I think people relate to her and the story." -Sierra Boggess talking about her role as OBC Ariel

WishingOnlyWounds2
#103re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 3:49pm

Unless the kids are really young, it wont be scary. Not that I'm trying to make comparisons but 'Wicked' is supposedly too scary for children under 8 and that has become a family show.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#104re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 3:51pm

^ Agreed.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#105re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 3:59pm

"I never even thought about that. Sean took a break last summer also, so I just figured they decided to bring in someone else during that time. I don't exactly view Drew Seeley as a Disney Channel star. He's not in the actual shows like Christy Carlson Romano and Anneliese Van Der Pol were. I just figured it was a thing they did to bring in more fans and sales, not to keep from closing.?

Mirror Bride, re read what you just wrote. You do realize that you were saying the same thing I was. And, further more, if you ask anyone who follows High School Musical like the cult that it has turned out to be. Any tween fangirl will be able to tell you who Drew Seeley is. I do think that his name will bring people in due to the fact that it is stunt casting. It doesn't matter if he is in any disney channel shows or not. His fame is based upon the fact that he did the singing voice for what was one of Disney's most successful film franchises.

Also, I am not sure the the Lunt's owners would mind taking a risk. Keep in mind that the owners of the Lunt are also producing Addams Family as well.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

MirrorBride
#106re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 4:15pm

"Mirror Bride, re read what you just wrote. You do realize that you were saying the same thing I was. And, further more, if you ask anyone who follows High School Musical like the cult that it has turned out to be. Any tween fangirl will be able to tell you who Drew Seeley is. I do think that his name will bring people in due to the fact that it is stunt casting. It doesn't matter if he is in any disney channel shows or not. His fame is based upon the fact that he did the singing voice for what was one of Disney's most successful film franchises."

What I meant was that I don't think they're bringing him in just to keep the show from closing. I think they're just trying to appeal to the public more and raise more awareness about the show, therefore bringing more money. Not to keep the show from closing, but to simply increase profit.

I think Sean decided to take a break and Disney took the chance to increase excitement about the show. Again, I do not think this had to do with them preventing closing.

"Also, I am not sure the the Lunt's owners would mind taking a risk. Keep in mind that the owners of the Lunt are also producing Addams Family as well."

True, I just think it's a big risk to take with the economy how it is.

About the family show thing...
The thing is Mermaid appeals to children of all ages and Wicked does not. You can take a 5 year old to Mermaid, but not necessarily to Wicked. That's what I mean by all ages.

degrassifan
#107re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 4:20pm

The Little Mermaid has been around since 1837 re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?

But seriously, we'll just have to wait to see what happens. I would hate for TLM to close.

MirrorBride
#108re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 4:21pm

^ Fully agree.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#109re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 4:23pm

MirrorBride, your comment about it being too big a risk to take with regards to the Addams Family kicking out Little Mermaid might hold some water if Mermaid was selling out to SRO crowds each night. But, it isn't.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#110re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 4:28pm

Me thinks MirrorBride is BIASED.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#111re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 4:36pm

defyingravity07, Ya think? Just look at their avatar.

I mean there is nothing wrong with loving a particular show and having it be your favorite show on Broadway. Hell, I am sure I love one show that you hate. But, if your favorite show is closing you have to look at the logic given rather then just refusing to admit that it is doing bad and not earning enough money to stay open and is going to close.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#112re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 4:39pm

"But, if your favorite show is closing you have to look at the logic given rather then just refusing to admit that it is doing bad and not earning enough money to stay open and is going to close."

I completely agree. We experienced the same exact situation with Legally Blonde. The fans refused to believe it was closing and that WSS would take the Palace.

MirrorBride
#113re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:12pm

Yeah, I may be biased, but it isn't my only favorite show. I'm not refusing to believe it could happen, am I? I never said it wouldn't, I just can't see it closing so soon, and neither can other people I know.

I'm simply saying it's only a possibility, it's not confirmed. Until it is confirmed by the Lunt owners or Disney, Mermaid isn't closing for me. This is a rumor, a rumor that hasn't yet been confirmed.

People said Beauty and the Beast would do horrible, along with Phantom. Now we know Beauty and the Beast lasted 13 years and Phantom holds the record for longest running show.

If it closes, it closes. I'm fine with it. I'm just saying you can't hold onto a rumor until it is proven to be 100% fact.

defyingravity07
#114re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:13pm

But this "rumor" is supported by evidence.

MirrorBride
#115re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:15pm

It still hasn't been proven. Rumors are just what they are, rumors, until someone comes and proves it. There are things also disproving it. We'll just see what happens.

defyingravity07
#116re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:18pm

Disproving it how? The Lunt is the only theatre that fits the seating plan.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#117re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:20pm

I cannot believe she is calling this a "rumor."

MirrorBride
#118re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:22pm

How can you not? Tell me someplace it was confirmed. Then I won't call it a rumor.

Mermaid is still doing fairly well and there's been no talk by Disney about it closing.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#119re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:25pm

Group sales are on sale, and the Lunt is the only theater that fits the seating plan.

MirrorBride
#120re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:27pm

We all have been talking about the show taking another theatre if Addams takes the Lunt.

defyingravity07
#121re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:29pm

Disney won't move an unrecouped show & with a set designed specifically for the LUNT.

MirrorBride
#122re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:32pm

All I'm saying is no one knows what Disney's plans are yet. Mermaid could go on tour, move, or stay in the Lunt. You can disagree with me, it's fine that you do. I'm just saying you can't always believe what you see and hear until it is said by the source.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#123re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:41pm

I personally won't be shedding any tears if The Little Mermaid ends up closing. IMO it is Disney's worst show since Tarzan. They missed the mark completely as the whole production is a garish mess, from the hideous sets and costumes to the horrible book and the stale direction and choreography. The only saving grace was the cast and (most of) the score.

I could be wrong, but I think Riedel also mentioned something about The Little Mermaid possibly going belly up in September in his last column, so that would certainly pave the way for The Addams Family.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 6/2/09 at 05:41 PM

WishingOnlyWounds2
#124re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 6/2/09 at 6:00pm

This doesn't really fit in this thread but as far as Sean taking a break, I know it's confirmed and all, but...

Chelsea is on the site as Ariel
Sean is still on as Eric.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Videos