pixeltracker

The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?

The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?

jagfkb
#1The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 7:29pm

From Givenik, a group ticket sales group, the theatre which it describes through the pricing and the rows of the Rear Mezzanine sound an awful lot like the Lunt Fontanne. Is Little Mermaid really going to close this soon?

Link

AndAllThatJazz22
#2re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 7:31pm

I certainly would not be surprised if this happens... yet at the same time, is Disney going to allow two flops in a row (Tarzan, and The Little Mermaid)? Maybe disney will record it or do SOMETHING to make it recoup before they close the show and shove a tour down our throats.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 5/24/09 at 07:31 PM

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#2re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 7:32pm

there's already a thread discussing this

AndAllThatJazz22
#3re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 7:32pm

^ That thread is more about the thought that it will transfer to the New Amsterdam.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#4re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/24/09 at 7:35pm

well it originall started out as a thread about it closing and then about it transferring. And it will not close anytime soon as it will do well in the summer

PeteGonBway Profile Photo
PeteGonBway
#5re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 12:57am

Actually, word among the company is the show will be closing on or around Labor Day...

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#6re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:23am

Where'd you hear that from?
I also thought that once Drew Seeley leaves on August 31st, Sean Palmer returns. It would make no sense for him to be back for a week or two. Updated On: 5/26/09 at 08:23 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:31am

They are bringing in over 600K almost every week. Can their nut be THAT high, that's it's not making it?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#8re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:34am

People have been saying their weekly nut is anywhere from 500,000-600,00. so they are making it. I also don't think Disney would give up on a show because they have one bad week

dramamama611
#9re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:46am

I only looked at the grosses quickly...and they only seemed to have 2 or three weeks where they were UNDER 600K. MAYBE one under 1/2 mill.

I think people are jumping the gun, way too quickly.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

mzk2004
#10re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:29am

Updated On: 5/26/09 at 11:29 AM

mzk2004
#11re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:29am

It actually is not 100% up to Disney/"the producers." The Nederlanders by contract would have a clause where if grosses dip below a certain amount they can give the show a boot -and if they think Addams will be more regularly bringing in money -they may do so.

dramamama611
#12re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:44am

Yes...that's the reference to the "nut". It is seldom enacted however...unless a show is totally tanking.

Not like Addams Family comes with any guarantee.

evic
#13re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 12:01pm

Their advance sale may be very low so the writing is on the wall....that and the Adrian Bailey lawsuit will not be pretty.

jimmycurry01
#14re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 2:49pm

The Disney Corporation pays for many lawsuits each year and barely feels it. I am sure they will just add his to the rest and move on. That won't come out of Mermaid's budget, and will come out of their lawsuit budget instead. You don't run theme parks, film studios, and theatre endeavors without planning on being sued frequently for various reasons.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#15re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 2:53pm

The Nederlanders can still give them the boot even though they are making their nut. Unless they are on an extended contract with the Neders.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#16re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 2:54pm

yet at the same time, is Disney going to allow two flops in a row (Tarzan, and The Little Mermaid)?

Didn't Mary Poppins open between the two? For some reason, I thought Aida didn't recoup. If so, Disney would already have two flops in a row with Aida and Tarzan. Three, if you want to count the tour of On the Record.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

broadwayguy2
#17re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 2:56pm

Mermaid has a VERY high running cost in addition to the liability due to all of the safety issues with the production, which I am sure the Neders have been none to thrilled about.

jimmycurry01
#18re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 3:12pm

Aida did recoup, and in less than two years according to the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/05/theater/aida-to-close-in-september-after-4-1-2-years.html

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#19re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 3:22pm

Ok. I just remember reading somewhere that it hadn't. My mistake. Still, Tarzan and Little Mermaid would not qualify as two flops in a row for Disney.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#20re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 3:22pm

The only way to know if a DISNEY show recoups is if DISNEY says it recoups.
The original cost of their shows is never really known.
The Neders and Disney have been in bed for some time and pulling out that clause would be a nasty thing to do.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#21re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 3:39pm

I honestly don't think the Little Mermaid will be going anywhere anytime soon especially with many empty theaters already.
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 03:39 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#22re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 3:47pm

^ You've said that multiple times already.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#23re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 5:07pm

I don't understand the whole concept of it all. There are many dark theaters out there (Cort, Longacre, and many will be empty soon due to limited engagements). Why would they choose a theater where a show is already playing instead of a theater where nothing is? Also, how long will it take for something to take te Longacre? Boeing- Boeing has been close for almost 6 months and the marquee is still up and nothing has been scheduled to go into there.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#24re: The Addams Family Kicking Out Mermaid?
Posted: 5/26/09 at 5:08pm

Because other theatres aren't the right size?

Videos