pixeltracker

Daniel Davis fired from La Cage- Page 6

Daniel Davis fired from La Cage

tpdc
#125 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 3/31/05 at 2:29am

According to Hal Prince, Mostel was never approached about renewing his FIDDLER contract. While Mostel's antics in FIDDLER and FORUM have been written about, Prince didn't suggest them as the main reason for not wanting to get Mostel to extend. He was concerned that if Mostel stayed too long, FIDDLER would be seen as only a star vehicle. So Mostel left when his contract was up.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#126 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 3/31/05 at 8:30am

I'm curious - does anyone think that if La Cage had been selling out this would have happened? It seems to me that the producers are using Mr. Davis's attitude as an excuse to get a "name" into the show. It's too bad that they had to choose the one actor who was good in his part. I was less than impressed with Mr. Beach and Mr. Creel (though to be fair - Gavin has a terribly written part).

Also was what Mr. Davis did any different than other divas? I've heard horror stories about Patti Lupone, Topol, Betty Buckley, Nicol Williamson among others. Will bad behavior no longer be tolerated or is it only the case when you need a boost in the box office?

Updated On: 3/31/05 at 08:30 AM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#127 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 3/31/05 at 8:59am

I have to agree with S Fl Marc. I didn't like Gary Beach's performance at all. I first saw him on the "Today" show and wasn't that impressed. I was equally unimpressed seeing him at the theatre. I might be one of the few who didn't care for his performance in "The Producers". When I saw it (The Producers), he appeared to be on auto-pilot. On the other hand, I really liked Daniel's performance in La Cage. I think the only people who will ever know what truly happened are those who are involved with the show.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

bonna
#128 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 3/31/05 at 11:33am

I agree that if the show were doing better at the box office, we wouldn't bee seeing Goulet. And maybe if the Albin role were easier to cast with a celebrity, Beach would have been the one they dumped.

I also agree with the person who said Davis must have really pissed off one of the producers. The Post article Monday quoted only anonymous sources but at least one seemed to know that Davis' contract would be paid out. Seems like a producer would be the one to have that information. So I think the article was a backhanded way to get back at Davis without having to go on the record and say anything "official."

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#129 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 3/31/05 at 11:36am

Dolly, it would certainly be better to see George do a star turn than his two second walk on in Wicked.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#130 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 3/31/05 at 11:48am

tpdc, sorry, but your quote below is simply not correct.

"According to Hal Prince, Mostel was never approached about renewing his FIDDLER contract"

What is the source from which you reaped this piece of information? I have never, ever heard anything like that before, from either those who knew and worked with Zero Mostel or those of us who know and have worked and/or indeed do work with Hal Prince.
Mr. Prince is very much alive and active and accessible. According to the assistant that Mr. Prince has now had for 38 years, the above quote attributed to him is "utterly preposterous."
A producer would want to remove a star from a show who is bringing every performance to over one hundred percent capacity because the producer fears keeping the star who is keeping the show at over one hundred percent capacity, will turn the show into a "star vehicle?" The thought itself is clearly ludicrous.

In fact, Mr. Prince was the "lead negotiator" in trying to get Mr. Mostel to renew his contract, yet again. Alas, they were unable to find a way to work around Mostel's looming lucrative film salaries. But they did come to a gentleman's agreement about Mr. Mostel starring in future stage productions of FIDDLER. In the mid 1970s when Mostel did his legendary revival tour of FIDDLER and its return to Broadway at the Wintergarden Theater, Zero Mostel was then paid an extraordinary $50,000 weekly salary! This was amazing for that time (it would be quite amazing now too) and was "all over the news."

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#131 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 3/31/05 at 12:07pm

Thanks "WISHIHADATONY" for the great investigative work on the Mostel issue. It's posts like yours that make this message board all the more interesting to visit. Good job!

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#132 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 3/31/05 at 1:39pm

Demitri2, thank you for your very sweet and kind words. They truly mean a great deal to me. I am so very delighted that you are "here." :)

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

tpdc
#133 D. Davis Fired From LA CAGE
Posted: 4/5/05 at 3:20am

I went back to where I had read about Mostel's run in FIDDLER and his contract renewal. It's Hal Prince's autobiography CONTRACTIONS: Notes on 26 Years in the Theatre. I remembered Prince being ambivalent about Mostel staying on and I thought Prince decided to not push for Mostel to stay. Rereading it just now, I see that Prince said that the theater owners wanted Mostel to renew and that he was approached. His demands--including a car and chauffer--were too much and Prince said he was tired of it being "the Zero Mostel musical" and that he decided to rely on the material and return it to Tevye and his daughters. He said that if Mostel had stayed for three years, he is sure it would have cut down the show's run. It's on page 106.

Videos