pixeltracker

Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)- Page 6

Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#125re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/29/08 at 9:49pm

"Did you miss this?

"Okay - as a lawyer, I am going to give this one more try. Copyright infringement is illegal."

Period.
"

Now the sixth time, I know this :P. haha. This is ridiculous. You do read each time I say this, right? I'm not saying it isn't illegal, or that it is right etc.. at all.

"People are sued for it all of the time. That's like being arrested for stealing... "

Not really...since one is brought about by the law, and another by civil action..

"ignore people who know the facts."

The fact is that you cannot, in the case of copyright infringement attribute each case to a loss. This is exactly what the RIAA do with their anti-piracy propaganda. You think that they can claim hundreds of millions of $$ of loss revenue of music downloads when many of the people wouldn't have bought it otherwise?

You keep telling me over, and over, and over again that the infringement of copyright is illegal, but this is not what this discussion is about. The reason It may appear that you are talking to a 'brick wall' is I'm not talking legalities, I'm not talking about right/wrong. Do you understand what I am talking about?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/29/08 at 09:49 PM

DaneSaw
#126re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/29/08 at 10:42pm

Sweet Jesus.

Theatrediva, what qolbinau is trying to get across is that copywright infringement and theft are not the same crime, do not have the same outcome, and are not enforced under the same circumstances.

As qolbinau said, it's the difference between walking out of a bookstore with unpaid merchandise and photocopying pages from a book. Both illegal, but different offenses.

That is all.
Updated On: 12/29/08 at 10:42 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#127re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/29/08 at 10:45pm

When you take something that doesn't belong to you, it's stealing.

That is all I'm saying.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

DaneSaw
#128re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/29/08 at 10:54pm

Legally, however, they're not the same. If they were, there would be no such thing as a "copywright infringement" and people would just be charged with theft.

TheatreDiva90016
#129re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/29/08 at 10:59pm

Potato,
Potato,
Tomato,
Tomato...

It's stealing.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Manny2
#130re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/29/08 at 11:00pm

They both have the same roots, which is why it's so easy to mix them up.

They both essentially have to do with taking something that's not yours. Difference is that when you infringe, you're not only taking something that doesn't belong to you, but you're claiming that you made it.

It's wrong either way.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#131re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/30/08 at 11:47am

It's wrong either way.

Sure, but the messages are muddled. "You must hold to this version of the script that hasn't been performed professional in 20 years because it is immutable/ Every professional revival of virtually ANY show is usually drastically altered from it's original inception."

"You MUST create an entirely original production./You must never create an original production if you are doing West Side Story, A Chorus Line, etc."

I mean, maybe I get the outrage if a regional professional company "steals" the designs, but amateur companies? Give me a break. It's two bit community theatre. It's like when people were outraged that a high school did Follies because they felt the audience deserved better.

TheatreDiva90016
#132re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/30/08 at 11:49am

6 pages later, and you come in after we've said our piece.

re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#133re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:10pm

Well, a lady never arrives early to the party. :)

TheatreDiva90016
#134re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:12pm

BUt a lady ALWAYS know when to leave. And it's not after the party's over.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#135re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:14pm

What if you don't wake up till after it's over, though?

TheatreDiva90016
#136re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:40pm

Ask Vera.

#137re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 1/1/09 at 11:24am

all of this hulabaloo and that original youtube video has been REMOVED!! lol

Hank
#138re: Amateur production of CABARET (Is this allowed?)
Posted: 1/1/09 at 12:22pm

I just want to thank you guys for the you tube links on page one. I enjoyed them very much, especially the "Two Ladies".
Makes me want to so much see this show again, anywhere, any how!

Videos