9to5 to close Sept. 6

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#150re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 2:40pm

That's an awesome story, Kelly2. I remember someone in another thread mentioning Allison quoting Drop Dead Gorgeous. Maybe if I meet her, I'll ask her to do Juno or something else. She seems like a real trip. re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#151re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 3:12pm

"I remember someone in another thread mentioning Allison quoting Drop Dead Gorgeous. Maybe if I meet her, I'll ask her to do Juno or something else. She seems like a real trip. "

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that! She seemed really cool and down to earth. I mean, I only met her for a short while, but that was definitely my impression. She was really funny, very quick on her feet, and just cool. Definitely one of my favorite "celebrities" that I've met. When I saw her do the stagedoor line (I was meeting a friend who had just seen the show, so I was just watching from across the street), she seemed to really take a lot of time to talk to anyone who wanted to talk to her, sign more than one item (many people had Hairspray stuff for her), and pose for photos.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Updated On: 8/3/09 at 03:12 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#152re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 3:59pm

Allison was nothing but gracious when we met her as well. In L.A. my friend and I were walking back to the parking garage after the show... Allison and Kathy F. were walking ahead of us in the same direction. When they had gone up one level and were out of sight my friend and I started jokingly singing "I Will Always Love You". In no time, we heard someone singing along from above, and when we got up one more level we saw it was Allison. She was totally messing with us, and then her and my friend (who is a singer) continued the duet right there in the Ahmanson parking lot as we're walking to our cars. It was one of those had to be there moments that my friend will remember for the rest of his life.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#153re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 4:31pm

LOL, Popular, that's great. Everyone here knows about The Jackal, I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EgISKqC1QI

Here's a link to it on THAT SITE. Anyway, apparently, it was just something Allison taught herself how to do in her spare time in her trailer and Aaron Sorkin decided to use it for CJ on the show. It always cracks me up.

beautywickedlover
#154re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 4:47pm

Stephanie J. Block will get her break soner or later. Brian d'Arcy James didn't have much luck on Broadway until recently. He had bad luck with "The Lieutenant of Inishmore," "Sweet Smell of Success," and joining "Dirty Rotten Scounderls" only a month before it closed. Right now he's in a successful family friendly musical that eaned him an Outer Critc's Circle Award and Drama Desk Award. The role also got him his first nomination for a Tony Award for Best LEADING Actor in a Musical. I knew had had been nominated for Best Actor in a Featured Role before.
Updated On: 8/3/09 at 04:47 PM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#155re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 4:53pm

I think SJB has had a lot of B'way opportunities considering she's only been "on the scene" for a few years. I think her fans need to calm down and look at the reality of what work the average Broadway actor is able to get and how often, and I don't mean people like Sutton who seemingly get cast in/offered everything whether they are right or wrong for the part.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#156re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 4:58pm

I knew had had been nominated for Best Actor in a Featured Role before.

Did you? Because you say that he had bad luck with Sweet Smell of Success. Call me crazy, but a Tony nomination does not equal bad luck to me.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

beautywickedlover
#157re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 5:10pm

"I knew had had been nominated for Best Actor in a Featured Role before.

Did you? Because you say that he had bad luck with Sweet Smell of Success. Call me crazy, but a Tony nomination does not equal bad luck to me."

I thought we were talking about the fact that she couldn't catch a break because the last two shows she originated a role in did not last very long. Brian getting a Tony nomination for "Sweet Smell of Success" is not bad luck.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#158re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 5:37pm

But you said:

He had bad luck with "The Lieutenant of Inishmore," "Sweet Smell of Success," and joining "Dirty Rotten Scounderls"...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

beautywickedlover
#159re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 5:40pm

"But you said:

He had bad luck with "The Lieutenant of Inishmore," "Sweet Smell of Success," and joining "Dirty Rotten Scounderls"..."

What I meant was that he didn't have good luck with "Sweet Smell of Success" because it only lasted for 109 performances.

Updated On: 8/3/09 at 05:40 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#160re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 5:41pm

Here's a link to it on THAT SITE. Anyway, apparently, it was just something Allison taught herself how to do in her spare time in her trailer and Aaron Sorkin decided to use it for CJ on the show. It always cracks me up.

I crack up every time I watch that clip.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#161re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 6:07pm

"I crack up every time I watch that clip."

Me too. I just had surgery and whenever I'm a little bored or whatever I watch it and it always makes me laugh really hard.

wickedlover94 Profile Photo
wickedlover94
#162re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:14pm

why is 9 to 5 closing and next to normal staying?? wtf!?!?!

"It'a all about Popular!"

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#163re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:22pm

Because N2N doesnt cost 650k a week to run and have a production budget of 14 million...

wickedlover94
#164re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:23pm

Clearly! But 9 to 5 has Dolly Parton to back it!

wickedlover94
#165re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:24pm

But still, Dolly is smart and knew the show wouldn't take off.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#166re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:26pm

And how do you know that? Do you have a mind translator in her head that you know what she is thinking. People thought that this had the potential to be a hit. Its like saying why open Shrek if it costs at least 600k to run weekly and has at least a 20 million dollar budget. No one knows what shows will be a hit and which ones won't. Look at Wicked, it didn't win best musical and it is out running the winner from that year since Avenue Q is closing next month. Updated On: 8/3/09 at 07:26 PM

wickedlover94
#167re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:29pm

I know that, which is why i also think the tony's are a joke.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#168re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:52pm

I think Dolly knows it'll be cheaper to run and will make double the money on tour, and I'm sure she would love to see it play in Nashville and all those places. It makes perfect sense if they want to make a profit, to put all the money into the tour, it'll do REALLY well, I have a feeling.

Dolly's backing more than just a show, she's paying for Change It to get shipped to AC and country radio stations to get it played as a single. That'll be great promotion not just for the cast recording but for the show and the tour.

Updated On: 8/3/09 at 07:52 PM

wickedlover94
#169re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:54pm

Yeah! I mean it's getting decent money on Broadway, but it costs to much to put on. I just hope Stephanie won't join the tour so she can do other things closer to me on Broadway.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#170re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:56pm

Yeah! I mean it's getting decent money on Broadway, but it costs to much to put on. I just hope Stephanie won't join the tour so she can do other things closer to me on Broadway.

It's not making ANY money on Broadway. That's why it's closing, child.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#171re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 7:58pm

I know that, which is why i also think the tony's are a joke.

Tonys. You are a joke.

wickedlover94
#172re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 8:11pm

It makes more than 600,000 but it costs more to run the show. I know that. I should have made myself clearer for you, sorry.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#173re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 8:18pm

I'm pretty sure that both Megan Hilty and Stephanie J. Block are above replacing the original actors in mediocre shows like Shrek and Rock of Ages. I'm sure they will both hold out for the chance to originate roles again. However, I would die to see them in Wicked together after the chemistry they have developed together in 9 to 5 but that is purely hypothetical. I'm sure Megan with do something young and cutesy next but I would love to see Stephanie in the next great revival. She was born to play one of those classic Broadway diva roles. I hear she was amazing in Funny Girl in regional theatre and it would be amazing to see that on Broadway.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#174re: 9to5 to close Sept. 6
Posted: 8/3/09 at 8:20pm

Woah. I'm confused about what wickedlover94 is saying. The tonys are to blame because a show isnt making its nut??

Videos