clarky
#150the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/12/04 at 3:49pm

It's Uli Scherbel. He took over for Andi Bieber

hush_ethel Profile Photo
hush_ethel
#151the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/12/04 at 7:11pm

if it is the feild you are going into, it is always wise to know what you are getting into, b/c if you dont like what you hear, maybe it isnt sucj a good idea to get into, it all depends on how you look at it, but if you love it enough,and if you want it bad enough and have the talent for it, then nothing, not even a book should hold you back, but i do get what you are saying, it is hard to read the bad sides of the things you love to do

NYC20042
#152the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/13/04 at 12:20pm

Amen hush. The truth will set you free. Once you know what you are getting into, then you can truly have a successful and wonderful life in the theater.

This book is as much therapy for actors as anything else. It lets actors know that others are going through the same heartaches and tribulations.

It lets actors know that there is nothing "wrong with them" if they star in a Broadway show and don't work again for the next five years. It is a tough profession, both finacially and spiritually.

Hopefully, this book will help bring the community together and provide some peace. Updated On: 11/13/04 at 12:20 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#153the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/13/04 at 3:07pm

I think you should take every book, class, or lesson with a grain of salt. It's all subjective. And, you should take everything you learn and put it in a mental filing system--you never know what might come in handy. The truth is that each person's journey is different. Each person's luck is different.

You learn all your life that being an actor is hard. Yet, you never learn the specifics. Most high schools and colleges rarely teach the business aspects. And, frankly, most of the people teaching have never even tried to be a theatre professional in NYC, nor succeeded and can give the scoop on life behind that "curtain". This isn't to discredit those fabulous teachers, but to say that if they haven't been there, done that--they can't pass that info quite so succintly. There was always that vague "oh this business is rough" discussion. "oh there are casting couches" "auditioning is hard", etc etc. But, no specifics. It's the specifics that throw you.

In college, I got to study with Broadway professionals like Stuart Ostrow or Edward Albee. In Houston, I did theatre with people like Liliane Montevecchi, Harvey Evans, Millicent Martin, etc etc. All of these people's perspectives have proven to be closest to what it is really like. How many kids around the country get to hear those stories?

Listening to questions from non-theatre folk at the Broadway shows I usher or on this board or people who ask me when they find out I am an actor at a party or what have you, definitely clues me to the fact that most people in the audience know very little about what an actor goes through. Having fights about acting unions on this board very much shows how some people do not get it. Most people clearly know that becoming a lawyer or doctor is hard, but do not think for one second how hard becoming an actor is. They just equate it with being a hobby.

Historically, actors have been crapped on. And, in these last few centuries, actors have come to be treated with respect. However, there are soooo many things that actors must endure. Just because it is a fun job shouldn't belittle their issues and concerns. We don't act because it's fun--we act because it is our passion. It's what's inside us.

I came to NYC knowing that it would be hard--but not KNOWING it would be hard and just how hard it would be SPECIFICALLY. Even the wise stories and advice from those aforementioned greats didn't prepare me for NYC theatre in the 21st century--the whole business has changed. This book takes at look at these current issues. I take it all with a grain of salt, but I am greatly thankful for most of what the book informs me on--the specifics. And the things that no one would know if they hadn't been through it themselves. There are things in that book that no one I know or read has talked about. Specifically.

Spending a year ushering and being backstage doorman has taught me things you do not learn in books about how Broadway works--both the things you think about and the things one never thinks about, trivial or large. You learn most by observing and doing.

So, I say to any kid who wants to be an actor, DO read this book. Know some of the things you never would have known before coming here. But, don't let the book ruin your dreams. Just let it prepare you. Auditioning and trying to get a show, especially a show on Broadway is TOUGH. Just as tough as you have heard, if not so much more so. I knew this coming here. I didn't really KNOW it. Now, I know just how much harder I have to work. I told my friends back in Houston that I easily imagined winning that Tony when I lived in Houston, but now that I am geographically closer, I realize how much farther away that Tony is!

Be aware though that the book is merely these editors' collection of these actors' perspectives. Your experiences may be completely different. For example, I live in a great apt--mostly because I live in Astoria, which is no farther from Times Square than much of Manhattan. I pay very little rent. No rats or cramped quarters for me!

Audiences--DO read this book for a greater appreciation of what it takes to be on that stage.

Interesting thing about one of the actors in the book:

In one chapter, he tells of how he enjoyed engaging in pranks onstage. In another chapter he wonders why he has trouble getting work. Hmmmm.

But, overall, I think the actors have incredible stories to learn from. I think Rath makes many good points, but I do not think this book should be completely discredited. It gives much insight, good or bad.

Updated On: 11/13/04 at 03:07 PM

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#154the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/13/04 at 5:20pm

Bravo. Great post, jrb_actor.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#155the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/13/04 at 5:31pm

"Historically, actors have been crapped on. And, in these last few centuries, actors have come to be treated with respect. However, there are soooo many things that actors must endure. Just because it is a fun job shouldn't belittle their issues and concerns. We don't act because it's fun--we act because it is our passion. It's what's inside us."

Excellent point, JRB!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

NYC20042
#156the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/15/04 at 10:33am

Agreed. Finally, in Making it On Broadway, the gag order on Broadway performers has been lifted.

Bravo!

Up In Won
#157the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/15/04 at 11:29am

Never read the bok, but... One night we were sitting at a show, and my mom gets all excited because this guy is wearing a jacket from a certain show (A different show than we were at.). Anyway, they get to talking and my mom goes, 'Well, I was thinking about getting into the production side of things, maybe get a little group going.Do you have any suggestions for getting it off the ground?" And he looks her in the eye and cool as can be goes, "Don't do it." Mm. Muy funny.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

NYC20042
#158the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/30/04 at 3:18pm

Who else here read this book? Thoughts....?

capnkidd
#159the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 11/30/04 at 4:00pm

sorry,no-but thanks for reminding me about it-after this thread you can be sure I'll look for it....

NYC20042
#160the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 12:33pm

Enjoy the read...There is nothing like it.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#161the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 4:45pm

NYC2004, are you a shill? All you ever post on this board or the ATC board is about how this book is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you slam and attack anyone who has the slightest criticism about it. And when this thread was dying, you jumped right back in to revive it.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 12/1/04 at 04:45 PM

capnkidd
#162the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 4:57pm

geez,blue,calm down...it's just a book(& nyc2004's opinion).Neither one of those things should excite you so much.Just ignore him/her if you don't like the comments.Why do you people get so excited about shilling-redhotinnyc does it all the time-I don't see(or want)people getting all upset over that.I'm glad nyc2004 brought this back up-I had forgotten about it & came back to look for the title.

Plum
#163the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:10pm

Who's losing their temper? Considering that NYC only seems to post in threads related to that book, it's a reasonable question. Though really, what shill what ever admit to shilling?

And rehot openly states his connection to what he's shilling- it's his own damn act. the book: making it on broadway That's like accusing Marc Shaiman of shilling Hairspray. Updated On: 12/1/04 at 05:10 PM

capnkidd
#164the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:22pm

Exactly my point,plum.I don't care whether redhot shills himself openly or nyc2004 shills in secret.Bluewizard does seem upset by it & has chased nyc2004 onto other boards-there's a lot of hostility on this board and I just don't understand that.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#165the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:29pm

Sorry, you're right. I'm just harbouring leftover anger from when I made some valid points about the book earlier this month, and NYC2004 lashed out and treated me in a condescending manner. I'm mildly annoyed by shills, but what I hate most is when the shills attack you for not liking their product, as if you're the wrongdoer.

Plum
#166the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 7:10pm

Actually, we're still in disagreement, capnkidd. I think it does make a difference whether you shill in secret or openly. When Mr. Shaiman says, "come see Hairspray!" we know exactly why he's saying so. When a secret shill devotes all of his or her posts to promoting a certain product, and takes any dislike of said product personally, it's deceptive and wrong.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#167the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 7:29pm

I urge you to read this entire thread, capnkidd. You won't ever see Marc Shaiman attacking anyone who speaks negatively about his work. Check NYC's reactions to anyone who attempts to discuss a view different from this book.

Also please note that Marc and redhot post in other threads and take part in discussions that have nothing to do with what they admittedly "shill." They are active members of this board. With that in mind, do a search on NYC20042's posts.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 12/1/04 at 07:29 PM

Plum
#168the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 8:35pm

I didn't have time to type it before, but Rath pointed out the key thing here. Redhot is a member of this board in good standing- he participates in lots of discussions and has good relationships with other board members. He openly shilled his own cabaret act. Marc Shaiman, similarly, participates in all kinds of discussions here. He also, on occassion, openly shills Hairspray.

They didn't come here to shill their work. They came here to discuss theater, and the (sort of) shilling came later. That's why they're different. Updated On: 12/1/04 at 08:35 PM

capnkidd
#169the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/1/04 at 11:59pm

I had read the threads the first time around & saw the fight in real time-I absolutely agree that nyc2004 was no angel either-he/she was absurdly condescending.I doubt,however that nyc is the author or even connected to the book-just a fan(admittedly one who likes to press buttons),like a lot of other fans who are just a little(ok,maybe a lot)over the top.
I have no problem w/the shilling-there's no injunction against it on the board,and you either allow it or you don't.that's up to the moderators.
Marc is a positively charming gentleman(I've seen very little of redhot's posts,but certainly have no problem w/any of them).I just dislike the incivility I've seen here...and if you don't like a post(or a poster)and you don't respond,they will eventually go away.If you argue w/them,it just keeps them going...

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#170the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/2/04 at 12:11am

I was just annoyed that when NYC2004 came back and asked, "Who else here read this book? Thoughts....?", I know he what "thoughts" he really wanted to hear. If NYC2004 was such a fan, maybe he could actually participate in other Broadway discussions once in awhile.

In any case, look back and see whose gloves came off first. I posted some very valid and detailed concerns I had with the integrity of the book's research, and he just ripped me apart. It's hard not to slap back when someone's attacking you personally.

broadwayguy2
#171the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/2/04 at 12:13am

hun, NYC2004 isn't a "fan"............

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#172the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/2/04 at 12:15am

That's what I'm saying.

broadwayguy2
#173the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/2/04 at 12:16am

no no no.. you don't understand what I am saying. NYC2004 is a working actor. Not a fan. NYC2004 has MUCH more perspective on it that you do.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#174the book: making it on broadway
Posted: 12/2/04 at 12:19am

Well, I hope he's friendlier to audiences than he is to theatre fans who post on message boards!

Videos