pixeltracker

Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread.- Page 8

Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#175Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 1:46am

Awww, Rockabye *hugs his Lenya back*
That's interesting that they don't mention EVITA, maybe an agreement to hold a personal grudge against Mr.Webber.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

RockabyeHamlet
#176Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 2:00am

You know I just got an image of Patti and Opel sitting in Patti's dressing room surrounding in candles buring Webber in effigy and slitting each other's palms and slapping their palms together in a blood oath to never mention they were ever involved.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#177Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 2:04am

LMAO!!!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#178Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 2:05am

Oh my God, that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time...Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

ray-andallthatjazz86
#179Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 3:05am

Well, my laptop doesn't fit with my stuff so I won't be able to take it to NY so I can't come to the Bad Gigolos! thread to rave about the show right after it's over Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Oh well, I'm running out the door, I have a plane to catch and a GYPSY to see! Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

#180Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 6:20am

i just got an email from Alison Fraser (TESSIE TURA) saying that she likes my art & would like a print of the GYPSY illustration when its finished!

Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!

Up In Lost
#181Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:48am

Saw the show last night. One of my favorite, if not favorite, theatre experienece.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

Midnight Radio
#182Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:30pm

I just had to change my icon after Saturday!

Seeing Patti in this role, on my birthday no less, was nothing short of incredible. I HAVE to make it back to see her again before it closes.

Afterwards, I stage-doored. I look terrible in this pic, but I had to share the Patti love:
Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#183Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:35pm

Norn that is awesome news!!!

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#184Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/24/07 at 3:24pm

That is amazing, Norn!! Wow!

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#185Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:17am

Was there again tonight (3rd time)

The audience went nuts, which was nice. Loved the energy. Also loved how mean they were! They were shushing people with phones and telling people to sit the **** down when they got in late from intermission. It was fabulous!

Patti seemed almost a little hoarse this time around which sounded amazing. Her "Rose's Turn" ending was completely primal and breath-taking.

Benanti has grown wonderfully into the role. I hated the entire strip sequence the first two times, I felt they were her only weak scenes in the show, but it has grown tremendously on me due to her acting this time around.

I just can't get over how much Patti put on the line in her "Rose's Turn" tonight. Amazing. The 2nd and 3rd time have really brought out the scene right after RT where Rose walks slowly off, the sign comes down for a brief moment and she walks off toward the single light. Its so heart-wrenching, like "thats that, thats your final curtain Rose, show's ever." Amazing moment.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 7/25/07 at 12:17 AM

#186Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:42am

i just got a nice message from Tony Yazbeck saying he wants a print of the illustration when its ready!

wonderfulwizard11
#187Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:56am

Norn, when will you be showing us this illustration? I can't wait to see it (and have Mama Patti as my avatar!).

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

#188Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:05am

i'm doing a bit each day; i think it will be ready to show next week.
til then, you can see 'teasers' in my myspace pix in the AVATARS section!

wonderfulwizard11
#189Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:10am

Norn, the avatars are just wonderful!

Would you mind if I used the Patti one for an avatar? Or would you prefer to wait before the full illustration comes out?

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#190Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:59am

I saw it tonight. Wow.

I'm still speechless and thus unable to give a real review (although it's hardly neccessary at this piont), but all I can say is that Patti really took my breath away. The final monolog into Roses Turn was full of emotion and raw and just brilliant. It builded in sich a way that I was breathless when she finished. Absolutely amazing.

#191Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/25/07 at 5:51am

wonderfulwizard11, help yo'self!

ray-andallthatjazz86
#192Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:50pm

So I saw the show Tuesday night.
Apart from the extremely annoying lady who decided to sing the lyrics to her friend until a couple of us gave her a look, and the idiot who didn't turn his/her cell phone off (someone actually yelled "turn it off"), the show was amazing.
Sami Gayle and Leigh Ann Larkin made June one of my favorite characters. I can't rave enough about Larkin, she was just so unique in her take of June and so truth to the character at the same time. "If Momma Was Married" was a highlight, there was real anger and yet she had a very touching moment with Benanti's Louise when she grabs her hand at the end of the song.
The strippers were GREAT. I wanted to give them a standing ovation at the end of their number, they just nailed it. Particularly Marilyn Caskey as the ironically named Electra was just a riot. She truly let the lyric "I'm electrifying and I'm not even trying" define her character and it made for the funniest moment in the show for me. It was just a killer number and the audience went crazy for it.
Boyd Gaines was amazing as Herbie as expected and Benanti couldn't have been better as Louise. When I thought she couldn't get better, the dressing room scene came along and I was blown away. I didn't see that coming at all, whereas she could've been swallowed by LuPone, she matched her and even made LuPone's Rose look pathetic. It was a thrilling moment to hear her scream like that, to see her be Gypsy Rose Lee. Oh and in the stripping when she holds the fur shawl as she declares herself Gypsy Rose Lee...that IS gay heaven, just brilliantly staged and brilliantly acted.
I'm not a LuPone fan but she really showed how fantastic she can be with this role. To be honest I wasn't particularly fond of her "Some People" but she seemed to be getting better and better. She had great chemistry with Gaines and Benanti. "Together" was one of the best parts of the show and performed so differently from the rest of the productions. Her "Rose's Turn" was all that has been said and MORE. I had heard different comments about her last "for me," I thought it was probably her best moment in the show and what makes her "Rose's Turn" my number one (along with Peters').
I must thank City Center, Laurents, and the whole cast for providing us with such an amazing experience. An event all around.

wonderfulwizard11
#193Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:53pm

Woo hoo! Glad you loved it Ray!

RockabyeHamlet
#194Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:01pm

So happy you loved it, darlin'! And I agree about Electra's line being possibly one of the best deliveries of that line ever. Larkin was hilarious as well. I loved when she came out and stared at Louise and says in that deadpan voice, "you woke up MOTHER." I think part of what makes this production so wonderful, is that so many of the actors gave such refreshing interpretations of the roles, esp. Larkin, Caskey, Gaines, and Benanti. Oh it's just so good!

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

ray-andallthatjazz86
#195Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:09pm

Exactly! Everyone had such a new interpretation of their role (which is probably why I wasn't impressed by Yazbeck whom I thought was alright but not as refreshing as the rest of the cast...though I did get chills when Benanti joined him and kept trying to dance like him, wasn't she fascinating?).
Oh and I loved it when Gayle as Dainty June was trying to do her big finale and the spotlight went off and she gives a look, then she goes on with her act. She was perfect. I loved that moment with Larkin too, Rockabye!
It was also great that not only the actors were giving new takes to their roles but that Laurents found a new approach to the staging and the direction as well. Kudos to him.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#196Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:12pm

I wore my Gypsy t-shirt to orientation today and the woman at the sign in desk went "Ahhh you saw Gypsy with Patti LuPone how was she?" It was pretty great.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#197Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:17pm

I had the weirdest dream three nights ago- that I was watching GYPSY with Patty LuPone but in a baseketball court, I think it was in my high school gym... that's so bizzare !

I probably have to see Gypsy ..I think after I read Yankee's review - It entered thru my sub-conscious mind...

J*

wonderfulwizard11
#198Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:18pm

jay, you must! It's the best show I've ever seen!

uhkthxbye2 Profile Photo
uhkthxbye2
#199Bad Gigolos! - the Official GYPSY love thread!
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:50pm

Extremely random question, but for anyone who's seen the production - I don't know if I was imagining it the first two times I saw it (it wasn't as noticeable so much the third), but during Dainty June and Her Farmboys, when they make the "Presenting in person" declaration thing, was one of the guys saying it in an extremely annoying falsetto? Or was I just hallucinating?

Gangway, world, get off of my runway.
- Mama Rose, Gypsy

A bird cage I plan to hang,
I'll get to that someday...
A bird cage for a bird who flew away
Around the world.
- Edie, Grey Gardens

Videos