News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 9

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
OxfordsLeadingMan
#201re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/17/06 at 9:47pm

I Really Think It Will Be Stephanie J. Block Of "The Pirate Queen"

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#202re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/18/06 at 1:20am

I'm pretty sure my mom will win.

COOOOLkid
#203re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/18/06 at 1:38am

^ I love your username!

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#204re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/18/06 at 9:58am

me?

why, thank you.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#205re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/18/06 at 10:16am

This was the best post-weekend catchup thread I've ever read.

Aber, I'm not going to dissent with any of your opinions except your assertion somehow that all the precursor awards somehow affect the Tonys. I think we could easily pull up instances where they do but they just as often do not. It's not like the Golden Globes or the SAGs to the Oscars. The Broadway/Off-Broadway awards rarely share mutual voters and they tend to have markedly different opinions of what to award.

VIETgrlTerifa
#206re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/19/06 at 2:52am

I saw the Grey Gardens documentary in my Plays and Playwrights class some semesters ago, and was just blown away by it. When I heard there was going to be a movie remake of the film and musical made about it, I was not to pleased to hear it to say the least. I know it's silly of me, but for some reason, I got sort of angry that they were going to do this.

Now, I've actually seen the Drama Desk performance by Ms. Ebersole, and was really impressed. She got Little Edie down so well, and the song she sang "Revolution" is not an easy song to pull off, and yet I was drawn in and found myself laughing at the lines. I can totally see why she'd be the front-runner. However, I am only judging one performance, so I don't really know how she is in sustaining it it throughout the whole show.

I only found out about Kristin Chenoweth starring in the Apple Tree a few hours ago, and I'm just so glad that she's going to be back in Broadway in a real leading role that will ask her to do something beyond her usual roles that I just hope she'll be nominated just so I can have a performance of Chenoweth doing the Apple Tree on tape. I loved Barbara Harris's rendition of "Movie Star" and though I don't expect Chenoweth to do a recreation of Harris, I hope Chenoweth is able to give a performance that would be worthy of the Harris.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

FoscasBohemianDream
#207re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/19/06 at 4:10am

I've only seen Harris on the Broadway's Lost Treasures DVD and listened to her on The Apple Tree cast recording, so I don't know how she was live, but I can assure you that Chenoweth's performance in the show is astounding and probably the best work she's done on the New York stage so far, definitely the only one worthy of her abilities.

#208re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/3/06 at 4:10pm

What happened to this thread?

#209re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/3/06 at 4:20pm

"Kristen Chenoweth - Probably won't be even nominated
Christine Ebersole - She'll probably win
Charlotte D'Amboise - Nominated, might be a winner
Laura Bell Bundy - No nomination, I bet.
Ashley Brown - Might be nominated
Jenn Colella - No clue, but I bet she won't get a nomination either
Daphne Rubin-Vega - She'll be nominated as a featured actress, I predict.
Lea Michele - She'll be nominated.
Debra Monk - No clue.
Audra McDonald - She needs another Tony. =)
Stephanie J. Block - might be nominated"

Will Laura Bell Bundy be Elle? Is it official?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#210re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/4/06 at 1:22am

No casting for LEGALLY BLONDE has been officially announced. But the word is that Bundy will be playing Elle Woods.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#211re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/4/06 at 1:35am

I think we can safely say that McDonald, Chenoweth, and Ebersole are locks.

Having seen only the performance of Charlotte D'Amboise, I don't think the poor girl has a chance of winning the award. Not a single hope. She may not even be nominated, as she's just not the shining star as McKechnie was. If Avian pushes her, she can get there. But as it stands now, I don't think she will receive accolades or great reviews for her performance.

She might snag a nomination if they decide to keep her in the featured category, which would be a smart idea- in my opinion.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#212re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/4/06 at 3:08am

Ebersole is def a lock, and I don't see how anyone could win over her at this point. Her performance is ASTONISHING.

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#213re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/11/06 at 8:08pm

Ebersole is evil!

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

munkustrap178
#214re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/11/06 at 10:23pm

I agree. Anyone whose name isn't "Ashley Brown" is just pure evil.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#215re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/11/06 at 11:18pm

I wish the producers of Grey gardens would come to their senses and just replace Ebersole with Ashley Brown already. I'm sure shw could pull off Mary and Edie fine. She's that good.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

munkustrap178
#216re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 10/11/06 at 11:33pm

Ashley Brown should also replace Audra MacDonald. Jesus, what was Roundabout thinking when casting that poor, untalented woman? Ashley Brown would be so much better as Lizzy Curry.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#217re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 10:14am

I don't understand how most people are saying that Christine has this award in the bag already when no one has seen Audra's performance yet. Also, Kristin is bound to get some votes from the Tony voters, but I doubt she'll win. I don't know who else will be nominated (hoping for Stephanie Block and maybe Ashley Brown or Laura Bell Bundy).

The majority of the predictions last year were that Patti would win...and look what happened. I think Christine's performance was absolutely brilliant, but I still think the 2007 Leading Actress Award is up for grabs.

FoscasBohemianDream
#218re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 10:30am

I think it is unfair to compare Ebersole's buzz to LuPone's. The New York Times review actually said that she might as well be giving the best performance we've seen in a musical.
I do agree that it is too soon to tell. In my opinion, it is going to be between Ebersole and Chenoweth (she gave a magnificent performance in the Encores! production of The Apple Tree). From the out of town reviews of The Pirate Queen it does look like Stephanie J. Block's nomination is a lock.

Yankeefan007
#219re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 10:31am

Ebersole is a lock. MacDonald is a lock. After reading the PQ reviews out of town, it seems Block is a lock Chenoweth will most-likely be nominated.

It comes down to Lea Michele, Ashley Brown, or Laura Bell Bundy. Let the best lead actress win.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#220re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 10:43am

"The New York Times review actually said that she might as well be giving the best performance we've seen in a musical."

Yeah, and Ben Brantley always has his finger on exactly what the public wants.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

WithoutATrace
#221re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 11:07am

The New York Times review does not predict who will win the Tony Award.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#222re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 11:15am

WAT...I was being sarcastic. I agree with you.

Brantley disliked Wicked, but one million dollars worth of people seem to be enjoying it just fine each week. He also singled out Chenoweth and wrote her a love letter, yet Menzel walked off with the Tony.
Ya never know when the Tony people will give a big F*** You and give the Tony to someone else.
Anyone remember Donna Murphy upsetting Ms. Andrews?

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

WithoutATrace
#223re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 11:19am

Sorry, Princeton. My comment was directed towards Foscas.

Ciaron McCarthy
#224re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 11:27am

Block is not a lock. I saw the show. She is good but wasted under bad material. If she gets nominated this year of all years I will be pissed. She doesn't deserve it. I'm sorry but you shouldnt get a Tony nomination cause you can belt. It has to be more than that.

Ebersole will win the Tony. McDonald cannot beat her.

Videos