News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 10

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#225re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 11:36am

Ciarron, considering you have yet to see McDonald's performance, I'd say that statement is a little premature, regardless of how great Ebersole is.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Ciaron McCarthy
#226re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 11:48am

somethingwicked I get what you're saying but this has more to do with Tony habits than the actual performances. I've been to the Tonys almost every year since I was a kid and I am willing to bet a lot of money that Ebersole will win. I would be delighted if Audra won!! I love her! But on a personal level I want Ebersole to win.

bella cantato
#227re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 12:53pm

stephanie stephanie stephanie stephanie

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#228re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 12:57pm

Why was this bumped?

There is absolutely NOTHING to add to this topic at this time. Same stars, same speculation, same buzz.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#229re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:13pm

Munk: In one of the COMPANY threads, people were saying that Raul should win the Tony. In one of the GREY GARDENS threads, we were arguing about Christine's chances of winning...that inspired me to bump this thread. Sorry that you are so mad about the fact that I decided to bump it even though there is "NOTHING to add to this topic at this time. Same stars, same speculation, same buzz."

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#230re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:16pm

If I was placing bets now, I would easily put my money down for Esparza and Ebersole. Sorry if that upsets anyone.

munkustrap178
#231re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:27pm

WAT: I didn't look to see who bumped it, and didn't know it was you. Regardless, it doesn't make me mad...I was honestly just wondering.

Esparza seems like a sure thing thus far, but he's really the only serious contendor at this point. Sure, Arden has his fans and got some nice reviews, but as far as serious performances go, he's the only thing.

If CURTAINS does open, don't you think that David Hyde Pierce might give him a run for his money?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#232re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:29pm

Of course he will, munk.

That's what is so silly about this entire discussion - we haven't seen all the contenders yet.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WithoutATrace
#233re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:31pm

"If CURTAINS does open, don't you think that David Hyde Pierce might give him a run for his money?"

I haven't seen either performance yet, but my answer to this question is yes.

munkustrap178
#234re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:31pm

Right. And there's always the chance that we will get a last minute revival (Roundabout) or British import to stir things up.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#235re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:34pm

And by the way, CURTAINS will be open in time for 2007 eligibility.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WithoutATrace
#236re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:35pm

Has that been officially announced? Or did you speak to Monk herself?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#237re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:37pm

Haha, I wish! No, I have another friend involved in the production.

WithoutATrace
#238re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 1:46pm

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing it...I love Monk, Ziemba, Pierce and Danieley!

munkustrap178
#239re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 2:14pm

I have heard whispers of March 17 and March 22. Don't know which is which, and what is what, though.

FoscasBohemianDream
#240re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 2:19pm

WAT I never said that Ebersole would win based on the New York Times review, I just meant to say that her buzz is stronger than LuPone's. And by the way, Princeton, the New York Times may not know what the public wants but the public is not the one who votes for the Tonys so your comment made little sense.
I don't think Ebersole is a lock but I do believe her buzz is pretty strong.
And by the way, if Curtain transfers, Monk will definitely stir things up in this already interesting competition.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#241re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/2/06 at 2:19pm

Of course, anything could happen. Except with Ebersole. re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

#242re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/9/06 at 4:01pm

Ebersole will win, but Cheno, Steph, Ashley, and Audra will get nods.

#243re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/9/06 at 4:03pm

And, what if Grey Gardens is not a financial hit and the show closes? How good would Ebersole's chances be?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#244re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/9/06 at 4:14pm

Bite your tongue.
Grey Gardens is a gem! I LOVED it off broadway and I loved it even more on broadway.
It is time to educate tourists. It is so brilliant and Ebersole gives the performance of a lifetime.
Granted, it is not the kind of show you could see 12 times like Avenue Q. It is a real downer, but everyone needs to see Ebersole sing REVOLUTION.
EVERYONE!
RIVETING. BRILLIANT. HEARTWRENCHING.

re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Updated On: 11/9/06 at 04:14 PM

JustABroadwaybaby2
#245re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/9/06 at 5:11pm

I adore Charlotte D'Amoise. All the best to her, and Kristin Chenoweth, and I hope they both get at least nominations.
However, Celia deserves a Tony and I don't care which category, but I just love her as a singer, actress, anything. She might get featured, I can see that happening (I still cannot believe she lost to Sara Ramirez but I don't want to bring that up.)
However, seeing as Ebersole took the Drama Desk from people like Patti LuPone, she just might win.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#246re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/9/06 at 5:35pm

before opening night, I could say with 99% confidence that gg would run through the tonys. now I can say with 100% confidence that it will. there's no chance it will close. none.

actor
#247re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:26pm

Beth Leavel - The Drowsy Chaperone
Sutton Foster- The Drowsy Chaperone
Eden Espinosa - Wicked

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#248re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/17/06 at 8:52pm

We can add Donna Murphy to the mix of possible contenders:

Donna Murphy, LOVEMUSIK
Kristin Chenoweth, THE APPLE TREE
Christine Ebersole, GREY GARDENS
Laura Bell Bundy, LEGALLY BLONDE
Ashley Brown, MARY POPPINS
Lea Michele, SPRING AWAKENING
Audra McDonald, 110 IN THE SHADE
Debra Monk, CURTAINS
Stephanie J. Block, THE PIRATE QUEEN
Charlotte d'Amboise, A CHORUS LINE
Jenn Colella, HIGH FIDELITY

Personally, I think we can cross d'Amboise and Colella off the list. Those two aside, we still have very tight competition.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 11/17/06 at 08:52 PM

WithoutATrace
#249re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 11/17/06 at 8:55pm

As much as I hate to say it, because I thought she was excellent, I think we can cross Ashley Brown off the list too.

Videos