pixeltracker

Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is "Pure fiction!" according to Frank Loessner estate...BUT...!

Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is "Pure fiction!" according to Frank Loessner estate...BUT...!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is "Pure fiction!" according to Frank Loessner estate...BUT...!
Posted: 7/17/09 at 8:49pm

BUT...the estate is open to a Hugh Jackman-led film!

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/07/no-for-one-guy-yes-for-another-.html

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'Pure fiction!' according to Frank Loessner estate...BUT...!
Posted: 7/17/09 at 8:51pm

You know, that's not the worst idea ever. Hmm...

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 8:58pm

I believe there was a thread about this a couple days ago.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Fan2
#3re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 9:12pm

It's here:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=999934&dt=40&boardid=1

The thread starts off with the original Justin/Ritchie news but towards the end this new news was posted.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#4re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 9:20pm

I wish Justin Timberlake would just dissappear. Tying a bunch of Grammy Awards and maybe an Oscar or two to the bottom of a piece of long, strong rope and letting it dangle over the Grand Canyon might be worth a shot.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 9:30pm

I love how Loesser's attorney stated how bad the recent revival was.

jo
#6re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 9:45pm

It doesn't sound as if it is going to happen soon.

Wasn't there an original Disney 3-musicals deal with Jackman, where GUYS AND DOLLS was supposed to be one of the movie musical remakes, Capn Hook ?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 9:54pm

Yes, Disney and Miramax made a deal where they would produce three movie musicals, one of which was to be an original musical and the other two classics.

However, when Disneymax split, the deal was off. Doesn't mean that the individual films won't happen...it just means that the contract is no longer valid and their co-production of the three films won't happen.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#8re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 10:00pm

ljay, me too. It wiped away my last ounce of regret that I did not attend. Next to the thought of the decade-removed Nathan Lane and Faith Prince it looked like a hideous joke. Mary Testa is the only element that would have gotten me in there had it lasted the summer.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#9re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 10:07pm

I would love to see Jackman in this someday.... I think a well cast remake of this would do well! I have no clue as to who I would like to see play Nathan though....

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

jo
#10re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 10:11pm

Thanks for the clarification, Capn Hook.

I remember Hugh saying in one interview that they were looking for a director for the proposed remake then.

gypsy4
#11re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/17/09 at 10:22pm

Capn hook what were the other titles Disney proposed?

Jon
#12re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 1:33pm

Well, Little Tommy Cruise played Nathan in high school!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#13re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 1:44pm

Am I the only one who'd much rather see Jackman as Nathan? I'm sure he'd be a freakin' awesome Sky, but I can't shake the picture in my mind of him being the best Nathan in the whole wide world. :3

singon85 Profile Photo
singon85
ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 3:29pm

Rudy, you should feel fortunate you missed the revival. I don't think anyone could deny that the revival was disastrous and it featured one of the worst musical theater performances of the season.
I'd love to see a GUYS & DOLLS re-make, Jackman would make for a great Sky. Like I said on the other thread, Toni Collette and Anne Hathaway or Amy Adams would be great rounding up the cast.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#16re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 3:31pm

Jackman is right for Sky but all wrong for Nathan. Nathan is supposed to be a shlub. Sinatra was all wrong, but many people think of him as the type for Nathan. John C Reilly, long rumroed for the stage revival, is the right type. Actually, Platt was the right type, but did a horrible job.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

MariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
#17re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 3:39pm

I don't think Jackman's right for Nathan. At all. But Sky - yes please!

the revival was disastrous and it featured one of the worst musical theater performances of the season.

Who was that? I didn't see it and haven't really been following discussion about it. Updated On: 7/18/09 at 03:39 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#18re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 3:46pm

Lauren Graham as Miss Adelaide.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#19re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 4:20pm

The only title mentioned by Disney/Miramax by Harvey Weinstein was 'Guys & Dolls' and they were tossing two other titles around for the "classic" one. The original musical was hinted at to be a project which they have now said is going to the stage. And guess what? All three titles have had Jackman attached and some point or another.

Seems like you can't have a movie musical with Hugh Jackman being thought of to star.

--Aristotle

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#20re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 7:13pm

Timberlake out, Jackman (possibly) in?

There is a God.

jo
#21re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 8:46pm

re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P

This scene was from the Legs Diamond number in the arena version of THE BOY FROM OZ. Hugh's performance and look for this number was reminiscent to me of Brando's Sky Masterson in the movie version.

Photo was posted on the related thread by Fan2.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#22re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 8:47pm

Timberlake would make a beautiful Big Jule

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 8:52pm

MCfan --- there is no movie in the works that has been anything more than rumor.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#24re: Jason Statham and Justin Timberlake-led GUYS & DOLLS movie remake is 'P
Posted: 7/18/09 at 9:13pm

My cast: Jackman as Sky, Anne Hathaway as Sarah, John C. Reilly as Nathan, and Christina Applegate as Adelaide.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Videos