pixeltracker

The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread- Page 2

The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#25re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 1:52pm

I would be happy for Elaine Strich! She could actually sing this part and would probably win the Tony Award by default.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#26re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 2:12pm

That's nothing, madbrain. My cousin's best friend's local butcher is the godfather of Trevor Nunn's niece's friend from school. And HE said that Rupaul will be playing Desiree.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#27re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 2:28pm

OK, so I had no desire to see this with the names that had been bandied about. They're all terrific, but I don't get the younger casting approach. However, with RuPaul as Desiree and Stritch as Armfeldt, I'd pay big bucks.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#28re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 2:48pm

RuPaul can handle comedy MUCH better than some of the actresses that have been mentioned...Nicole Kidman comes to mind.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#29re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 4:50pm

I'm so tempted to just make sh*t up and see how many people believe me, since that seems to be all the rage lately.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#30re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 5:07pm

Do it. It's fun.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#31re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:31pm

I guess the Benanti and Cerveris rumors can come to an end (if they weren't already).

I they DID turn down roles I think they made a wrong decision. True they have done the show...but to be in the show on Broadway and get a cast recording would be worth MUCH MORE than anything else.
Especially since they will be dead when it makes another revival.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#32re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:42pm

I think there is a fierce argument to be made that the opportunity to be in the Broadway premiere for a playwright like Sarah Ruhl has just as much merit (if not more so) as being cast in any musical revival, MTVMANN.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#33re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:42pm

double post.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 7/21/09 at 06:42 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#34re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:50pm

Benanti would never pass as an eighteen year old virgin. She'd sing the role flawlessly, thus everyone suggesting her, but she no longer can pass for the physical requirements of the role.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:51pm

No. Benanti would have been up for Charlotte. Not Anne.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#36re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:52pm

She'd be a horrible Charlotte too.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:53pm

Much rather have her than the rumored Jenny Powers.

LoveIsCompany
#38re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 6:55pm

I can speak with 100% certainty that most of the cast is in place, but there are some union issues being worked out pertaining to a certain actress, and there are two contracts that have yet to be signed.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#39re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 7:00pm

I disagree, Ljay. I think Charlotte fits Jenny Powers like a glove, whereas I don't think Benanti would be a natural in the part (though I think she would have been good).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#40re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 7:06pm

I might be a little biased since it is my favorite musical ever!

LoveIsCompany
#41re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 7:06pm

Agreed, ray, I think Jenny Powers would be a perfect Charlotte, and she really deserves the break after Grease. She was fantastic in Follies for those that were lucky enough to see it.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#42re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 7:09pm

Who was she? I'm guessing Young Phyllis.

LoveIsCompany
#43re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 7:12pm

Yep, really played the ideal younger self of Donna Murphy. Talk about a cast/show that I wish would have transferred.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#44re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 7:15pm

Is Leigh Ann Larkin still up for Petra?

LoveIsCompany
#45re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 7:17pm

Yep.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#46re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 8:27pm

Does anyone think that perhaps some of the reason Lansbury left "Blithe Spirit" is to perhaps have a little bit of down time before rehearsals start?

Usually the Tony Winners stay on longer that they might have than if they didn't win...but usually they are 80-something either.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#47re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 8:30pm

Blithe Spirit was a limited run from the start.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#48re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 8:33pm

So did the show extend, and she just chose not to?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#49re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
Posted: 7/21/09 at 8:35pm

Exactly, Angela Lansbury didn't "leave" BLITHE SPIRIT. The show closed as scheduled.
Powers made for a lovely Young Phyllis, I loved all four young actors. It'd be great to see Powers continue in the Sondheim tradition (by the way Encores! people-in-charge, she sings a mean "There Won't Be Trumpets"). I'm not sure if she'll actually play Charlotte or not, but I think she'd be good in the part.
I'm loving the idea of Leigh Ann Larkin as Petra.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"