pixeltracker

Riedel: Karimloo "wooden", Boggess "vapid"- Page 2

Riedel: Karimloo "wooden", Boggess "vapid"

#25re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 1:35pm

Was Falsettos really a sequel? I think Finn always intended three shows but just worked very very slowly.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#26re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 1:42pm

Well Falsettoland is definitely a sequel to March of the Falsettos. It has a very direct connection to March of the Falsettos, moreso than In Trousers does to either.

Still, In Trousers did introduce the characters of Marvin and Trina, and therefore the following shows are sequels.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 10/9/09 at 01:42 PM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#27re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 1:44pm

Holly, exactly.

Plus the whole thing about Christine maybe possibly having a son by the Phantom, which is impossible going by the events of Phantom of the Opera. That is my biggest issue with the sequel. It's like ALW completely forgot about how the first one actually ended.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

husk_charmer
#28re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 1:46pm

Marquise-
With ALW's track record, and the fact that I personally think the two songs I've heard (if they are truly representative of the whole score) I could easily see this being a hit.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

HollyGolightly2 Profile Photo
HollyGolightly2
#29re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 1:46pm

Unless the Phantom uses his magic skills and can make babies by kissing women, there is just no possible way for Christine to have the Phantom's son, unless he raped her in a scene we didn't see.

And if rape is, in fact, how they explain it (IF they explain it!), I pray to the lord (NOT you, Andrew) that they don't decide to insert that scene or anything that implies that scene in the first show.
Updated On: 10/9/09 at 01:46 PM

yeomansden Profile Photo
yeomansden
#30re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 2:02pm

"With ALW's track record, and the fact that I personally think the two songs I've heard (if they are truly representative of the whole score) I could easily see this being a hit."

With ALW's track record, the two songs you heard probably are not just representative of the whole score, they ARE the whole score, with 16 reprises of each one.

DISCLAIMER: All snark in this post is directed toward ALW, not the poster. He very well could be right, it might be a hit - and he certainly has the right to his opinion on the subject.

"Are you calling me a procrastibator?" Hunter, [title of show] "Guess who's gonna get blamed for the war in Europe?" Eugene, Brighton Beach Memoirs

Princeton2
#31re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 2:35pm

Its taken around £2million so far at the box office so not bad going!

As for the son being the Phantoms, thats all rumour at the moment no one has actually confirmed that. and even if it is, whose to say they didnt have sex? There could be loads that happened that we didnt see in the first one

SporkGoddess
#32re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 2:39pm

Many Phantom fans make the argument that Christine actually has sex with Erik at the end of the novel due to the Victorian era often using "kiss" for other things that were unmentionable at the time.

I personally think that takes away the beauty of the scene. Just one kiss doing so much for the guy is what makes it so sad.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#33re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 2:47pm

and even if it is, whose to say they didnt have sex?

Uh, the Phantom? Why do you think the kiss at the end meant so much to him? It was the first time a woman touched him in a kind way without horror.

Christine: Have you gorged yourself at last, in your lust for blood?
Am I now to be prey to your lust for flesh?

Phantom: That fate, which condemns me to wallow in blood
has also denied me the joys of the flesh ...

So they didn't have sex before that point, and Raoul enters during the same scene.

Many Phantom fans make the argument that Christine actually has sex with Erik at the end of the novel due to the Victorian era often using "kiss" for other things that were unmentionable at the time.

I've never heard this before, but even if that is true, it doesn't have any meaning towards the stage show, which has the scene as being a kiss and nothing more.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 10/9/09 at 02:47 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#34re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 3:12pm

There could be loads that happened that we didnt see in the first one

Ahhhh...We could be in for flashbacks that can band-aid any plot hole. Sort of like Lost: The Musical. It's a very trendy way to sustain a series.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#35re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 3:12pm

But PHANTOM was published in 1909/1910, during the Edwardian period. The Victorian era ended in 1901 upon the death of Queen Victoria. Her son Edward VII took over, and unlike his mother's stuffy reign, Edward's is seen as more fun and laid back. Besides, it's a French book by a French author and I don't think Victoria's (or Edward's) reign would've affected France much. But the Edwardian age corresponds with the French Belle Époque.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Mister Matt
#36re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 3:15pm

I love Belle Epoque! Jorge Sanz was so hott!

Updated On: 10/9/09 at 03:15 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#37re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 3:15pm

With ALW's track record, the two songs you heard probably are not just representative of the whole score, they ARE the whole score, with 16 reprises of each one.

HAHAHA!!! That cracdked me up yeom!
(and I too am laughing at the comment, not Husk)

....but the world goes 'round

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#38re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 3:28pm

I really hope that ALW takes advantage of the Coney Island milieu and writes some good up-tempos.

I love pretty much all his BIG BALLADS, but his faster songs are really hit and miss (Lost Souls from Woman In White - WTF was that?)

....but the world goes 'round

Mister Matt
#39re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 3:34pm

Especially in Phantom. By the end of the show, I want to scream every time that effing "Angel of Music" motif cranks up again.

wonkit
#40re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 4:02pm

Karimloo is not wooden, he is electric.

yeomansden Profile Photo
yeomansden
#41re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 4:03pm

In all fairness, I must say that I do not hate the show Phantom of the Opera. I do not hate the music from Phantom. I do hate the score of Phantom, because it repeats the music too often. Now, during the actual performance of the show, they are able to distract you from that with the costumes, the effects, the scenery, etc. If done well (I saw a REALLY bad touring production once, so know it has to be done well), you don't notice it so much. but I cannot listen to the full cast recording for longer than about 20 minutes...

"Are you calling me a procrastibator?" Hunter, [title of show] "Guess who's gonna get blamed for the war in Europe?" Eugene, Brighton Beach Memoirs

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#42re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 5:02pm

Phantom is really repetitive musically, but if you are seeing it for the first time and have never heard the music before-- as theatre is designed-- that's a good thing. It's seeing shows multiple times and playing the cast recording that makes it cloying! Les Mis and Sweeney Todd are also incredibly repetitive, but they're much more respected, simply because they're not Webber. Even Evita's more respected because it's less popular than Phantom, and it's INCREDIBLY repetitive-- but again, in a good way, if you're hearing the music for he first time. Aspects of Love is the show that irked me because it really was too repetitive.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

StageManager2
#43re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 5:22pm

Hey, don't go dissin' EVITA Schmegegge!

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#44re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 5:24pm

I love Evita; it's one of my favorite musicals. I'm saying that repetition can be a goody device, especially in an entirely sung musical. But heyy, I've never been called Schmegegge before! I like that!

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

StageManager2
#45re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 5:30pm

It's Yiddish for "hogwash," sometimes used for "idiot."

No offense.

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

husk_charmer
#46re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 5:34pm

Yeomandsen-
I fear you may be right about that...however I intend to remain positive.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#47re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 5:36pm

Hahaha, I WOULD like being called an idiot. How very characteristic.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#48re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 6:03pm

Looks like the NY Post has found the perfect team: Michael Reidel trys to bring shows down before they open, and Elizabeth VERMINcelli tries after they open.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

HollyGolightly2 Profile Photo
HollyGolightly2
#49re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 8:38pm

Getting back to the original subject of this board:

I have a number of British friends who attended the press launch, and they all said Ramin's live performance was better than the one in the online video.

And another thing; what's up with saying Sierra's performance was vapid? She was SUPPOSED to be sitting there stiffly. That's like saying the mask's performance was plastic.

Updated On: 10/9/09 at 08:38 PM