pixeltracker

Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?

Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?
Posted: 11/10/09 at 2:47am

What did you think?

Did she sing "Losing my Mind", what was the ITW opening like?

I suppose it is wishful thinking that the concert was recorded like the 95 Whistle concert.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/10/09 at 02:47 AM

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#2re: Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?
Posted: 11/10/09 at 2:54am

I went, it was beautiful and fun. Its 3 am so sry for the briefness. the 1st act dragged for me a little but the 2nd act was a grandslamer. some songs were, When you wish upon a star, Johanna, BEing Alive, Rose's Turn, Some People, Give me fever (dunno whats its really called), Intro to Into The Woods, Shanendouah, a song from Sunday in the park with George, a song from Carousel, song from Happy Fella, and others but im tired g'night!

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#2re: Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?
Posted: 11/10/09 at 7:51am

What an amazing night!!!!!! Stephen Sondheim, Arthur Laurents, Martin Short, Hugh Jackman, Andrea Martin, Barry Weissler, Michael David, Mary Tyler Moore, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Chip Zien, some original cast members from Into The Woods, and more in the audience. Bernadette was amazing, first solo was "Another Hundred People." She sang "In Buddy's Eyes" and "Some People" amongst her standards in act 1, it did not drag, I felt it flew by. *******ACT 2 HIGHLIGHT- She sat in a chair with two blankets around her and glasses and sang "Children And Art" like she did in "Sunday In The Park." Not a dry eye in the house. She was crying as well, I'm surprised she got through the song. Her encore was "Rose's Turn."
Another amazing Bernadette concert with a lot of extras this time around!!!! *******NICEST PERSON THERE- Its between Chip Zien and producer Michael David. They were both so gracious.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#3re: Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?
Posted: 11/10/09 at 10:26am

Her "Children and Art" were the highlight for me. The entire concert was wonderful and she was in the best voice I have heard her in years! Adored her Follies renditions and the song she sang after that. I later found out that it's from the film "Red" and Sondheim scored the soundtrack...a little obscure but beautiful!

The opening was hilarious! Especially having the original cast members (Joy Franz among others) was great. Great all around!

PS. No one has mentioned that we sang the Mary Tyler Moore theme song to Mary. Such a childhood dream!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#4re: Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?
Posted: 11/10/09 at 3:33pm

I helped sing Mary's theme when Bernadette asked us!

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#5re: Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?
Posted: 11/11/09 at 1:36am

I was there as well last night. I sat just three seats to the left of Mr. Stephen Sondheim himself.

The show was fantastic! Her big band rendition of "Nothin' Like A Dame" was such a showstopper! Her "Shenandoah" with that harmonica player was simply gorgeous. The highlight was definitely her "Children and Art." I had tears in my eyes. Yes, she did sing "Losing My Mind" and it was incredible! She also sang, "Mr. Snow," "In Buddy's Eyes," "Fever," "Another Hundred People," "No One Is Alone," "Not A Day Goes By," the song from Most Happy Fella whose name escapes me, "Some People," "Johanna," a Disney medley that combined "When You Wish Upon A Star" and "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes." She also sang the lullaby that was written for her dog.

The show was sensational. And the experience was amazing! Directly in the row behind me sat Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig, Barbara Walters, and Arthur Laurents. Sitting directly in front of me was Martin Short. And on my row were Mary Tyler Moore and Stephen Sondheim.

After the show I introduced myself to Sondheim and it was very thrilling to meet him.

Producer2 - I work for Michael David and yes...he is the kindest man alive...SUCH an incredibly sweet guy.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Mutts2
#6re: Bernadette Peters Broadway Cares concert - did anyone go?
Posted: 11/11/09 at 11:31pm

"Directly in the row behind me sat Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig, Barbara Walters, and Arthur Laurents. Sitting directly in front of me was Martin Short. And on my row were Mary Tyler Moore and Stephen Sondheim."

Wow, what a seat! I don't know that I would be able to concentrate on the performance on stage if I were seated amongst a crowd like that. No wonder her concert raised over $600,000. I thought usual amount was more in the $100,000 range like the LuPone concert in 2006.

I heard Peters introduced Laurents before launching into Some People and teased him about his West Side Story commercial. Guess she's not holding his comments about her Gypsy revival against him, at least not in public.