pixeltracker

Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway- Page 2

Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#25Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/18/10 at 10:27am

I'd like to see her as Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, maybe with Alec Baldwin or Hugh Laurie as George...

tellybox Profile Photo
tellybox
#26Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/18/10 at 11:27am

The Cherry Orchard was the first play that came to my mind to Auggie. I'd give my left nut to see Meryl play Ranyevskaya to perfection.

Brick
#27Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/18/10 at 12:58pm

Something tells me it'll be a classic play since she did the THE SEAGULL and MOTHER COURAGE, or a new play.

I don't see her tackling a musical revival.

I'm betting on a new play.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#28Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/18/10 at 2:53pm

I highly doubt she would do a musical revival. It'll either be a play revival or a new play. Streep has actually performed in a number of new plays in the past 30 years, just not on Broadway. If I remember correctly, she performed in 33 VARIATIONS a few years before it made it to Broadway with Jane Fonda.
I'd love to see her perform in an American classic, but I do love the idea of Tony Kushner writing something for her, the two of them do such marvelous work together.
Of course seeing her as Cora Hoover at Encores! would be a dream.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#29Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/18/10 at 3:05pm

I wonder if anyone would ever attempt to musicalize WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? I'd love to see what LaChiusa could do with it, but I'm sure Albee will never allow it. That being said, my ultimate dream would probably be a musical version of this starring Meryl.

P

P.S. Jordan: Yes, yes, yes. Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#30Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/13 at 12:05am

Decided to dig this up to suggest The Lion in Winter. She's about 3 years older than Hepburn was in the film, and I think it would be a wonderful role for her.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#31Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/13 at 12:38am

On behalf of all the old-timers who saw Streep in HAPPY END and THE TAMING OF THE SHREW, let me just add she could sit on a stool and read the effin' phone book and I'd get in line to see her.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#32Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/13 at 12:57am

Meryl is Dolly!

broadwayfreak4 Profile Photo
broadwayfreak4
#33Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/13 at 1:25am

As long as it's not Mamma Mia!, I'll approve.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#34Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/13 at 2:48am

$700 Premium Seats-I can see it now!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#35Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/13 at 4:18am

Why did she even make that comment about Broadway and get all of us our hopes high? I imagine she has been offered at least a dozen in the past two years and still nothing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#36Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/13 at 11:34am

Streep's film career is booming. As sad a fact as it is, it's virtually unparalleled for a female actor of her age and type to work this consistently on this many high profile projects, so it makes total sense that this is the time when she's most reluctant to stop and take on a stage project.

When the great film roles stop coming (or at least slow down,) I have no doubt she'll make good on her promise to return to Broadway. Personally, I'm hoping it's in a dynamite new play.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/1/13 at 11:34 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#37Meryl Streep Says She's Ready to Return to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/13 at 3:11pm

Saw her in the Lincoln Center CHERRY ORCHARD, back in the day, when she was the comic character; who knew she'd become...Meryl Streep? What a company that was: Irene Worth, Raul Julia, Mary Beth Hurt... It would be great to see her in the Worth role now. I think it's a better fit than Arkadina in SEAGULL, which she's done.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling