pixeltracker

Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...- Page 3

Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#50Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 4:17pm

The New York Cagelles seem to be much more attractively made up and dressed than the London ones.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#51Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 4:23pm

And the London Cagelles were fabulous as they were. I adored them. They were absolutely joyous.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#52Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 4:40pm

Great Matt.

We get it.

You liked them.

And I never used the term "gritty". Everyone else is.

And that picture you posted is (to me) of an ugly, overly painted drag queen. What's it supposed to mean?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Mister Matt
#53Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:09pm

Great Matt.

We get it.

You liked them.

Pot/kettle. I'm no more redundant than you or PalJoey. Probably less so since I was out of town.

And that picture you posted is (to me) of an ugly, overly painted drag queen. What's it supposed to mean?

You tell me. The award-winning drag queen point was yours to begin with. I'm sure Andora doesn't think she's ugly or overly painted and she probably believes that she knows what she's talking about.

And I never used the term "gritty". Everyone else is.

LOL You were the one who brought up the term in this thread to begin with. Prior to this thread, it was just a couple of people who hadn't seen the London revival. I guess you were just mislead by "everyone"?

TheatreDiva90016
#54Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:42pm

Matt,

I saw people posting the word gritty in reference to these new London musicals.

Sorry if it's not in THIS thread.

This isn't a contract.

And what's the point of the picture?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 4/6/10 at 05:42 PM

Mister Matt
#55Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:54pm

Uh...pass the bong over here so I can read what you're reading. You compared "ugly" to "gritty" and then mentioned how the London revivals are referred to as "gritty" in this discussion for...no reason? And then you said "everyone else" used the term but you? There were a few recent London revivals that were "grittier" than their predecessors. Maybe three? But it still has nothing to do with this production. It didn't have anything to do with this production in the other threads, either.

TheatreDiva90016
#56Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:58pm

The whole 'ggritty/ugly' was also from another thread that is now gone.

Must be sad when you are late to the party.

Updated On: 4/6/10 at 05:58 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#57Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 6:06pm

No sadder than someone who's been at the party since the beginning thinking that the n00b's point is somehow invalid just because of their late arrival, when really the n00b's point is incredibly finely worded and manages to perfectly convey everything several of the rest of us have been trying to say from the beginning. :P

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#58Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 6:15pm

Award Winning Drag Queens.
Don't make me laugh!

Mister Matt
#59Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 6:34pm

Must be sad when you are late to the party.

Nope. It appears I haven't missed a thing since the Limey thread. It's the same party that's been going on for weeks. I just went to the loo, but I'm back now with a fresh gin and tonic in hand. So, why did you bring up "gritty" again in this thread?

*sip*

CONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
#60Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 6:35pm

TheatreDiva90016, if no one else will, I will question your credentials, you may have been a Drag Queen, you may have been the most successful one America has ever seen, if so, congratulations, Im sure somewhere, deep inside I am feeling a remote bit of jealousy which you will obviously thrive on from judging your character, but unless you were an underpayed, drag queen in San Tropez back in 1960's, performing in a budget show, in an area where that sort of show was very taboo and dissed by the majority, you have no place in commenting on how these Cagelles SHOULD look as some sort of expert, I dont think they are your typical tits and glam drag queens, but they are also not "ugly and gritty" as you would so put it, they look, as does this entire production, appropriate for the setting, time period and due to the original budget of this production, back at The Menier, they have a genuine sense of budget about them, which is La Cage down to a tee!

TheatreDiva90016
#61Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 7:30pm

Thanks for sharing your point of view.

MamasDoin'Fine
#62Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 7:43pm

Broadway FLOP

West End HIT
Broadway MEGA FLOP

West End MEGA HIT

Broadway MEGA FLOP

...well, just you wait and see!

Now who sucks?

Oh! and don't forget that the original London productions of 'West Side Story', 'The Sound Of Music' and many others had better reviews and most importantly longer runs than the original Broadway ones did!

Updated On: 4/6/10 at 07:43 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#63Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 7:47pm

Ive read the comments about London sucking the life out of the shows, making them dark and gritty to make them seem more important or whatever nonsense it was and i can’t stop laughing.

Broadway took La Cage in 2004 and made it in to an overblown pretty and slick disaster which failed. They took Little Shop from Off Broadway and made it a huge spectacle of a show on Broadway which missed the mark by a mile. And then recently Broadway revived Guys and Dolls with Neon blazing, huge video screens etc and made it look as pretty as possible, yet the heart and soul and comedy of the original was missing and it died a death.

Ironic that London has in the past few years revived the same 3 shows and instead of throwing millions and millions to make them look eye popping the shows material was allowed to speak for itself. Great small sets, fab lighting, beautiful design and direction that elevated these shows beyond anything that Broadway even came close to with their revivals.

We don’t suck the life out, we let the life of the show speak for itself, all 3 of those shows are great, the book, the music etc all deserve to be admired, and in the London productions they are, as well as cast perfectly with actors who bring something to the table. The Guys and Dolls and Little Shop casts for the Broadway revivals were terrible, because the design, the budget, the spectacle came first, throw enough light and glitter at s**t and hopefully nobody will notice.

London does American revivals at the moment far better than Americans do their revivals, because the material is the most important thing in those West End Revivals.
If sucking the life out of the shows means great productions, great box office, great cast and multiple awards....then yes we do.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

MamasDoin'Fine
#64Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 7:53pm

and another feather for London's cap...

West End HIT just about to arrive.

Broadway FLOP

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#65Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 8:57pm

Maybe you Brits can revive THIS:

MamasDoin'Fine
#66Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 9:00pm

back in your grave Joey, Pal. x

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#67Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 9:08pm

G'wan scram. Aren't there some Falklands you could be invading?

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#68Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 9:16pm

But back to the show...has anyone actually seen this revival since it went into previews on Broadway?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#69Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 9:30pm

Tonight is the 1st preview.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#70Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 10:38pm

Sorry, time difference it is already Wednesday here.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#71Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 11:06pm

This thread has gotten HILARIOUS.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#72Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/7/10 at 12:00am

I wonder what Robin would think if he stopped by lurking to see what people were saying about him in a thread called "Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage..."?

jaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
#73Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/7/10 at 3:25am

I barely noticed 'our' cagelles faces, too busy gawping at their legs.

And despite the grit and grime of the club everyone found plenty of joy, la cage was one of londons most uplifting shows and many of us miss it sorely.

Videos