pixeltracker

Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?- Page 2

Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#25Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?
Posted: 6/1/10 at 4:04pm

Face it- you want to make a musical movie? You need names that will sell it. It's the nichiest of niche genres in the Western world- probably the whole world minus India.

And as far as Wicked being more culturally significant, theater fans all over the world have gone to see Chicago, The Producers, etc- but only Wicked has ascended into pop culture out of all those.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#26Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?
Posted: 6/1/10 at 4:12pm

Universal Pictures is one of the main producers of the Broadway musical WICKED. Just flip open your WICKED Playbill of any production and you will see their name (and logo) featured prominently.

WICKED. Produced by Marc Platt, Universal Pictures, The Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone

The billboard at Universal Studio is promoting the Original Broadway Cast Recording, which is released on their Decca Broadway label, and not some upcoming film adaptation, which Universal Pictures will be making since they own the rights already.

Again... WICKED is owned by Universal Pictures. Universal Pictures markets all things WICKED related -- film version or no film version.

As it stands right now, Universal Pictures DOES plan on releasing a film adaptation of their property known as WICKED and as of today, Baz Luhrman is presently attached to direct. Nothing else is in any form of development.

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#27Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?
Posted: 6/1/10 at 4:24pm

"No offense THD, I just found your signature amusing after reading your post. "

That's awesome, ha ha, I totally forgot about my signature. It is the truth though. I loved the show and even though I'm tired of seeing it and almost embarrassed about how much I loved it, I still think that it's current and future contributions to Broadway can't be ignored or denied.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?
Posted: 6/1/10 at 4:35pm

And as far as Wicked being more culturally significant, theater fans all over the world have gone to see Chicago, The Producers, etc- but only Wicked has ascended into pop culture out of all those.

Um...Chicago ascended to pop culture when its signature choreography started appearing in television, commercials and film. And it's not just theatre fans that have kept Chicago going on Broadway for 13 years and the West End for 12, not to mention the countless international productions and tours. The film adaptation was a huge hit and won the Oscar for Best Picture. How has Chicago NOT ascended into pop culture? The original production was left in the shadow by A Chorus Line in 1975, but the revival turned a cult favorite of musical theatre fans into an internationally acclaimed production that has been enjoying worldwide success for over a decade already and led to the first musical film to earn a Best Picture Oscar in over 30 years.

Wicked is the biggest runaway Broadway hit since Rent and Chicago, but I have seen no evidence that it has somehow led musical theatre into the realms of pop culture more far reaching than the likes of Chicago or even Rent, which started a cult phenomenon the likes Broadway had never before seen. But I am curious to know how Wicked has specifically surpassed every other musical in terms of pop culture other than its two main characters, which had been established previously in the Baum books, the film and then again by Gregory Maguire.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Biff AKA Levi Profile Photo
Biff AKA Levi
#29Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?
Posted: 6/1/10 at 6:37pm

Universal Pictures bought the rights after the book was published.

"I want a lap dance from an octopus."

-JG2

NewYorkYankee2006 Profile Photo
NewYorkYankee2006
#30Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?
Posted: 6/2/10 at 1:36pm

if there was going to be a movie of wicked, who would you cast?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#31Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?
Posted: 6/2/10 at 1:41pm

Eh...anyone from the hundred other threads on the subject.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#32Any news on the 'Wicked' Film?
Posted: 6/2/10 at 1:46pm

Orfeh. Of course.

....but the world goes 'round