Cut Songs Audio Recordings

mygfdontliveincanada Profile Photo
mygfdontliveincanada
#1Cut Songs Audio Recordings
Posted: 7/6/10 at 4:32am

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to go to find good audio recordings of songs cut from out-of-town tryouts or previews. I don't care if the recordings are live or not as long as their good quality, and I'd really like to find ones for the following shows...

Shrek
Wicked
9 to 5
Addam's Family

JBSinger
#2Cut Songs Audio Recordings
Posted: 7/6/10 at 10:11am

Well, Stephanie Block formally recorded "Making Good" which was replaced by "Wizard & I". It's on her solo Cd on PS Classics.

However, if you are interested in cut songs from past musicals, you should investigate the "Lost in Boston" series of CDs from Varese Sarabande. Cut songs, fully orchestrated, with Bway stars of the 1990's (mostly). There are some wonderful tracks and some terrific singing on these CDs.

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#2Cut Songs Audio Recordings
Posted: 7/6/10 at 12:50pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/BwayDemosWorkshops

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#3Cut Songs Audio Recordings
Posted: 7/6/10 at 1:48pm

The 4 disc Lost in Boston series is fantastic and fascinating.

Among the shows featured:

110 in the Shade
Promises Promises
West Side Story
Sweet Charity
Ballroom (probably the most valuable contributions to the series from a show that had a huge overhaul)
Gypsy
Guys and Dolls
Oklahoma!
Once on This Island (2 of my favorite songs, with La Chanze doing one of her cut numbers and Lillias White another)
Bye Bye Birdie

and tons more. I highly recommend tracking these down.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 7/6/10 at 01:48 PM

wicked91 Profile Photo
wicked91
#4Cut Songs Audio Recordings
Posted: 7/6/10 at 1:54pm

Heres a song from ADDAMS FAMILY that didn't make Chicago or BWay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQj7g4c9GjM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#5Cut Songs Audio Recordings
Posted: 7/6/10 at 2:03pm

In addition to the Lost In Boston series there is another series of cut songs from shows.

I believe they are called "Ben Bagley's _______". I have "Ben Bagely's Kander and Ebb" which features lots of stuff cut from Chicago and The Act.

They are worth tracking down if you have the time and inclination.

....but the world goes 'round

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#6Cut Songs Audio Recordings
Posted: 7/7/10 at 1:46am

Thanks for the pointers to find cut songs and demos. I love reading about the process of how a musical is honed into the final product that appears on Broadway. But being able to listen to the songs that were an early part of that process adds a whole other dimension.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#7Cut Songs Audio Recordings
Posted: 7/7/10 at 11:02am

You should also check out the Unsung Musicals collection. Studio recordings made around the same time as the Lost in Boston series of songs from musicals that had not received official cast recordings.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos