pixeltracker

Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#1Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/9/10 at 7:26pm

Available for download or through Arkiv:

"Cast Albums of Regina, Song of Norway and Make a Wish Will Enter Digital Age Starting July 20"

Link

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 7/9/10 at 07:26 PM

bk
#2Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/9/10 at 7:55pm

I really wish they weren't doing these this way. They don't spend time remastering on these Arkiv titles (at least the ones I've heard) and I don't like CDRs or downloads. If only they'd simply revised their business model about licensing, there are companies who would have gladly licensed all this stuff and, I have to believe, they'd be making more money than they probably are through Arkiv. Just my two centimes.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#2Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/9/10 at 11:21pm

The Arkiv releases are more than just CD-R's. The first time to CD releases of Jimmy, The Public Threepenny, and Let it Ride all had nicely recreated artwork and liner notes. In the case of their reprinting of titles previously available, they faithfully reproduce the artwork, and the only way you can tell it isn't the original release is Arkiv on the back. So it is much more than just a burned CD.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

husk_charmer
#3Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/9/10 at 11:49pm

I got the Martin "Hello, Dolly!" and it sounds really terrific.

That said, I do worry that being CDRs, will they hold up as long as a real CD will.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#4Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 12:56am

I'll take Regina anyway I can get it, but I would have preferred a more thoughtful release it is true. Do I really need to buy Make A Wish again?

With Irma you gotta do something!

bryan
#5Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 1:27am

the three shows i do not need because i have two of them where the is inner city the muiscal that show needs to come out on cd. sony.

Mildred Plotka
#6Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 1:30am

I'm sure it's on their to-do-list bryan. Have you written them? They're putting out 1 title a month and will be announcing their next batch of releases in the Fall.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#7Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 1:33am

MAKE A WHSI was released by Sepia, but this edition is taken from the RCA Victor master tape. Problem is thsoe early RCA albums have a flat sound that remasteringh cannot correct.

REGINA is an unexpected pleasure, though I doubt it will include the libretto.

I am most happy that the 1959 Jones Beach SONG OF NORWAY is finally getting reissued. I have always preferred this version, but teh only copies I have ever found were mono. At last I will hear this album in glorious stereo.

Just for fun, what shows do you thing they should do for October, November and December?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

mshetina Profile Photo
mshetina
#8Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 2:14am

I've been curious about Regina since I got into Blitzstein. Wish there was a good recording of Reuben, Reuben, but I'm thrilled to hear that Regina is finally available. Gives me an excuse to buy Juno as well.

twinbelters
#9Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 12:03pm

No one needs an excuse to buy the exquisite Juno. Masterworks is likely to make that available again Id wager. Did the Regina LP include the libretto? If it did it may be included with the CD.

I'd like to see the Mermaid Theater cast recording of Harry Nilsson's The Point, starring Davy Jones, be made available. I'm Getting My Act.... should be a priority, but the unreleased Shelter cast recording should finally be issued. Im guessing all the titles licensed out will be reclaimed, but Id be far more interested in having the infamous Clownaround. =]

EDIT: Correction. I thought that the Mermaid Theater cast recording of The Point was on RCA but it was on MCA records. Therefore, it would be up to Decca Broadway to release the album. Boo. Now we'll never see it.

Updated On: 7/10/10 at 12:03 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#10Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 12:40pm

I'm just grateful that they're making these recordings available. I thought I would never hear some of these scores, so it's exciting to be able to finally get to own them.

I bought Jimmy from Arkiv and found the quality and liner notes to be fine. I'm not a audiophile like bk or frontrowcenter so I have no complaints.

....but the world goes 'round

twinbelters
#11Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 2:10pm

I cant believe in a few weeks one of my favorite scores of all time, Regina, will be without record crackle exploding from my speakers. Hearing Juno on CD for the first time was so thrilling. This has been a surprisingly exciting year for cast recordings.

I was wondering if we'll get the other Sepia titles like High Button Shoes. Ive also wanted an investigation into whether or not RCA recorded more material from the original cast of The Golden Apple.

Mildred Plotka
#12Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 5:50pm

I'd love to be part of an investigation about the recording of Golden Apple! What should we wear?

I'm thrilled about Regina. Does Arkiv have it up for pre-order (can't get into the digital only craze)? I can't find it on their site.

twinbelters
#13Masterwrorks Broadway announces its 3 new titles
Posted: 7/10/10 at 6:36pm

What should we wear? How about a store-bought suit with a fancy plaid?

I would love to know more about the cast recording sessions of the original Broadway cast of The Golden Apple. I have always wondered how they went about deciding what should be preserved, and why they did that cockeyed narration.

I heard from an Arkiv representative that Regina may be pre-ordered a week in advance but there was no guarantee that will happen. I wonder how (un?)popular this title will be. It is not an easily definable piece and could easily alienate both opera and musical theater purists.

Did I happen to mention I played Horace in a concert staging in high school? Wish I had a video of that.

Videos