pixeltracker

"On My Own" performed by a young singer/pianist

"On My Own" performed by a young singer/pianist

orlandopiano
#1"On My Own" performed by a young singer/pianist
Posted: 9/20/10 at 9:48am

Hi everyone

I wanted to share with you one of my students. She really loves singing and playing Broadway. I hope you like the video. Thanks in advance for watching.

Caroline performs On My Own Updated On: 9/21/10 at 09:48 AM

orlandopiano
#2A future star...
Posted: 9/20/10 at 11:09am

Also here's a little boy doing Electricity from Billy Elliot.
Billy Elliot

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#2A future star...
Posted: 9/20/10 at 12:42pm

Could have sworn this would be that little turd-cum-Baby June doing Defying Gravity.

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#3A future star...
Posted: 9/20/10 at 3:59pm

Caroline's piano playing is excellent, but "Future Star" is a little bit of an exaggeration. The singing is nasally, but she's a cute and talented kid. Where did she find the big Janet Jackson microphone?

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

orlandopiano
#4A future star...
Posted: 9/20/10 at 10:25pm

Thanks for the comment. She tries really hard and she wants to be great. As for the mic, I use it whenever I record a student singing while playing so you can hear the voice. I get much better sound quality that way.

CarHoop
#5A future star...
Posted: 9/20/10 at 10:41pm

they are good!!! can one of your students sing a beatrice bebe neuwirth song? that would be really cool :)
Updated On: 9/20/10 at 10:41 PM

birdboy782
#6A future star...
Posted: 9/20/10 at 10:53pm

I think she is very talented. To have that passion and musical understanding/technique at her young age is really impressive. You can tell she loves it--and it's exciting to see. I wish her the best and hope she has a lot of encouragement if she wants to pursue it.

willep
#7A future star...
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:09am

I, too, was dreading clicking on it in case it was another "Defying Gravity." I think they are both great, yeah she is a little nasally, but not enough to bother me in the slightest.

orlandopiano
#8A future star...
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:20am

willep, I had not seen that video, but am now aware of what everyone is talking about. Thanks for the heads up. I edited the subject title so that it doesn't sound like that.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9A future star...
Posted: 9/21/10 at 3:52am

I rarely click on these types of links, as I am often totally horrified by what is posted.

However, Caroline was truly refreshing, and she is obviously both talented and dedicated. I enjoyed it immensely.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#10A future star...
Posted: 9/21/10 at 8:06am

Caroline is very good. Here are some comments:

She seems a little pre-occupied with trying to play the music and sing simultaneously though.

I recommend that she either really memorize the piano part so she doesn't have to read the music, or even better, sing with an accompanist.

One of the best things about her performance there was that she doesn't fall into the trap of "American Idol" where performers feel the need to emote and belt every note. Her natural sense of nuance and restraint is extremely well served. It adds pathos back to a song that has been butchered by belters for years. Very refreshing, and very effective.

Lastly, (and this is not a big deal) her annunciation is a bit too formal. It seems very stylized. I'm sure she will grow out of this as she becomes more comfortable with the material, and it's certainly preferable to slurring her words, or worse sliding into a note.

I really hope she continues to work on her craft b/c she's obviously got talent.

....but the world goes 'round

orlandopiano
#11A future star...
Posted: 9/21/10 at 8:00pm

tazber, I agree with your first comment. She prefers to play with the sheet music in front of her even though she is capable of playing without it, and it does take a little away from the visual appeal of the performance because she does look very "busy" between the note reading and the singing. I'll continue to work with her on that.

Updated On: 9/23/10 at 08:00 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12A future star...
Posted: 9/22/10 at 1:43am

While the above is true....I never really thought of this as a polished performance per se, but, more of a "lets record this to see where we are." I never thought about WATCHING her perform, only listening to her music.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

orlandopiano
#13A future star...
Posted: 9/22/10 at 10:43pm

I think if it were a singing-only performance, I would agree with that. But singing to her own piano playing offers more visual appeal, esp. since she is so young. I would like her to be able to do it without the sheet music. It would make the performance even more enjoyable to watch.

Right now she is working on I'm Not That Girl. It's quite a bit easier, both vocally and pianistically and I'll try to get her to perform it without the music. If we record it, I'll link it.

Updated On: 9/23/10 at 10:43 PM

Videos