pixeltracker

GHOSTS IN THE COTTONWOODS - Anyone?

GHOSTS IN THE COTTONWOODS - Anyone?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1GHOSTS IN THE COTTONWOODS - Anyone?
Posted: 11/16/10 at 11:48pm

Has anyone seen this? Is it worth the money/time to see it? It seems interesting.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#2GHOSTS IN THE COTTONWOODS - Anyone?
Posted: 11/17/10 at 7:29am

Isherwood's none too keen on it...

http://theater.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/theater/reviews/17ghost.html?ref=theater

I always try to catch Adam Rapp's stuff. Maybe this one isn't as polished or cogent or plumbing as his later/more recent work, but it sounds entertaining, if nothing else.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES
Updated On: 11/17/10 at 07:29 AM

Adaumbelle Profile Photo
Adaumbelle
#2GHOSTS IN THE COTTONWOODS - Anyone?
Posted: 11/17/10 at 2:13pm

I personally loved it...I thought it was gripping, suspenseful, and thrilling, especially the last 1/2 of the show had me on the edge of my seat. It's different and I think it's worth seeing.

I wrote a review of it as well: http://adaumbellesquest.com/2010/11/15/review-gitcw/

http://www.adaumbellesquest.com

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#3GHOSTS IN THE COTTONWOODS - Anyone?
Posted: 11/17/10 at 2:17pm

I find the Amoralists' extensive use of self-conscious nudity the most interesting thing about them (closely followed by their rabid attachment to high energy).

But I also get a frisson of nostalgia at their productions, they remind me so much of the East Village basement shows I loved in the early 80's...

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#4GHOSTS IN THE COTTONWOODS - Anyone?
Posted: 11/17/10 at 5:46pm

The Village Voice also found it "indulgent"

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#5GHOSTS IN THE COTTONWOODS - Anyone?
Posted: 11/18/10 at 9:47am

That was well expressed.

Some people on here love to denigrate theatre-goers of a certain age (over 40, over 50), but one thing they miss is this:

When you've been around and seen 20-30 years of commercial and non-commercial art, you begin to see newer artists creating what was already created, which in and of itself is no terrible thing. We all need to discover things in our own time. But what can be vexing is when the newer artists congratulate themselves for "creating" or "discovering" something because they haven't made the effort to find out that it's already been created or discovered.

And this is what I find both engaging and depressing (simultaneously) about the Amoralists - they're doing things that were being done 30 years ago. It makes it no less fun to watch, but there's a sad irony behind their attitude that what they're doing is brilliantly new.

Videos