News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Sondheim Concert on PBS

whyohwhyoh
#1Sondheim Concert on PBS
Posted: 12/20/10 at 1:53pm

Curious what other people thought of it. I just saw it and to my way of thinking Patti stole the whole show. It was a staggering moment as Elaine Stritch basically anointed her and Patti emerged as the ultimate Sondheim Diva. Some of the others voices had declined but Patti is in a league of her own. Nathan Gunn was fabulous as was Audra. I'd love to see those two in a show. Great chemistry between the two of them. I was disappointed in You're Going to Love Tomorrow especially after recently seeing the original foursome footage lately. Marin was also wonderful- she has such a beautiful voice and presence. DHP was a dry witty host and Mandy Patimkin was just amazing. His voice was as powerful as ever. I'd love to see him play Sweeney Todd someday. Anyone else has any faves?
Updated On: 12/20/10 at 01:53 PM

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#2Sodheim Concert on PBS
Posted: 12/20/10 at 1:56pm

"Too Many Mornings" was one of the most blissful moments of television I'd ever seen. "The Road You Didn't Take" similarly gave me goose bumps.

I had a wonderful time and I was glad to see some of the material done at Ravinia earlier this year replicated during the program. Especially "Glamorous Life" and the dueling Sweeney's in "A Little Priest."

The work between Bernadette and Mandy was so moving, and Marin and Donna killed.

A

With Irma you gotta do something!

ndrwmls10
#2Sodheim Concert on PBS
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:24pm

I thought Ravinia was after the Sondheim concert?

tommyboy
#3Sodheim Concert on PBS
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:33pm

WOWO -- it's SoNdheim

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#4Sodheim Concert on PBS
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:36pm

Whichever order they took place, I'm glad to see the performances preserved. Audra's Glamorous Life is a power house.

With Irma you gotta do something!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5Sodheim Concert on PBS
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:44pm

If you do a search you will find a thread on this that was created the first night it aired. Lots of comments/opinions.

Just give the world Love.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6Sodheim Concert on PBS
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:56pm

[decided to create a new topic about Mandy as Sweeney]

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/20/10 at 04:56 PM

Videos